• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Congrats us on the marginal risk. Probably will be a more fun day than people expect. NW flow... at least marginal deep layer shear... and steep lapse rates all in place. Not sure if the Mass Pike gets in on the action but CT/RI/SE Mass looks good as does NYC and Long Island. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Most local Wunder stations are 92-94F.   Somehow MPM station up in Shelburne looks like it is 86F.  It is amazing how much cooler his hood is compared to surrounding areas.  

MPM is 88.2 now. Anything approaching 90 is a true torch for him.

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

Congrats us on the marginal risk. Probably will be a more fun day than people expect. NW flow... at least marginal deep layer shear... and steep lapse rates all in place. Not sure if the Mass Pike gets in on the action but CT/RI/SE Mass looks good as does NYC and Long Island. 

Good, my best thunder of the year so far came with 14" of snow.

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

i'm wondering if they'll get a like spike...  97 at FIT and BVY and 90 at 1,000 K ORH is odd for holding Logan to 93 on a 260 wind

95 at 3 after holding for awhile.  Still a legit 90 minutes to hit 97ish and I bet we do.

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

tonight would be a truly epic urban heat island night ... but I'm wondering if the DPs being less then 70 might allow things to settle back into the 70s

I grew up in Baltimore in the 1970's.   Back then the official city temperature readings were taken at "the custom house"  downtown.  I think on the roof.   It was finally moved but for years that is the place it was taken from.  I use to call 936-1212  which gave the hourly temperatures.  Also the paper would print the hourly temps the next day.  In that awful urban heat island 90F temperatures would be recorded at midnight.  I don't think the city would cool off more than the upper 80's on the hot city nights.  

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I grew up in Baltimore in the 1970's.   Back then the official city temperature readings were taken at "the custom house"  downtown.  I think on the roof.   It was finally moved but for years that is the place it was taken from.  I use to call 936-1212  which gave the hourly temperatures.  Also the paper would print the hourly temps the next day.  In that awful urban heat island 90F temperatures would be recorded at midnight.  I don't think the city would cool off more than the upper 80's on the hot city nights.  

that's funny ... about the '1212 suffix ... I was a small child in the late 1970s in Kalamazoo Michigan and used to regularly dial 343-1212, as I was obsessed with weather even then.  Mainly when it was 36 F in October with light rain falling - ha.  They used to give the temperature but it updated every 5 minutes. Then the forecast came right after.    

But yeah..the urban heat island thing is something i first learned about when i moved back east with the family back in the mid 1980s... in the 1990s, i often would crash at house-parties in the city or around Chelsea and Cambridge in the summers and that's where I first experienced an 87 at 1:45 am pilin' out of a pub on a bank thermometer display near-by. 

13 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

that's funny ... about the '1212 suffix ... I was a small child in the late 1970s in Kalamazoo Michigan and used to regularly dial 343-1212, as I was obsessed with weather even then.  Mainly when it was 36 F in October with light rain falling - ha.  They used to give the temperature but it updated every 5 minutes. Then the forecast came right after.    

But yeah..the urban heat island thing is something i first learned about when i moved back east with the family back in the mid 1980s... in the 1990s, i often would crash at house-parties in the city or around Chelsea and Cambridge in the summers and that's where I first experienced an 87 at 1:45 am pilin' out of a pub on a bank thermometer display near-by. 

I remember driving back from N NJ to BOS one 4th of July and hearing on the radio - at 1:30 AM - a 92F reading in Central Park and a Power Warning in NYC on account of all the AC on. I thought it probably didn't drop below 95F all night in Harlem. Close to giving lie to the conventional wisdom that Death Valley is the only place in the continental USA where nighttime temperatures can remain above 100.

Archived