Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Summer Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

Gypsy moth larvae like their leaves young and tender.  And it's only when the good stuff has all been consumed before they attack less preferred species like pine and hemlock.  (Pines usually have buds in reserve and can recover at least once; in the early 1980s outbreak, a complete defoliation and hemlocks were gone.
g
The deciduous trees will probably grow another set of leaves in July - "probably" because a tree can only do this for 2-3 years before the root reserves are gone and it dies.

As I mentioned earlier I was in Dayville by Ginx a few days ago. Everything was stripped clean and they were eating pines it was that bad.. Nothing was left.

I think I remember reading that you know your trees. I have 2 huge green ash trees my great uncle planted in the late 50's. I bought his house  4 years ago and have been trying to keep them alive with the emerald ash borer now present here. I have been treating them with Dominion 2L 21% Imidacloprid via soil drench and basal trunk spraying for the last 4 years. Seems to be working and at $20 a bottle for treatment it seems to be worth it. Though I hate using pesticides the trees have some sentimental value and are just awesome looking trees and would love to keep them alive.

Picture of one of them.

ash.JPG

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With high pressure ridge setting up off the mid Atlantic coast,
SW winds will bring increasingly warm and humid air across the
region as pressure gradient increases. H85 temps rise during the
day, up to +16C to +18C, so will see temps reach the lower-mid
90s away from the S coast with the onshore winds. Highest temps
look to occur across interior E Mass and the CT valley. Temps
may out perform model guidance in a few spots, so can not rule
out some upper 90 readings.

Tonight...
Expect a sultry night across the region with dewpoints into the
upper 50s to lower 60s. More patchy fog develops overnight,
mainly along the S coast and western areas. Temps will only fall
back to the upper 60s to around 70, and 60-65 along the
immediate S coast.

Monday...
Summer weather is in full swing as the Bermuda high extends
into the to the Ohio and Tennessee valleys. Good low level
mixing returns during the day, but not quite as high winds
between H95 and H85 so gusts may reach up to 15-20 kt. H85 temps
in the 18C-19C across the region, so more triple-H weather in
store. Temps will again reach the lower-mid 90s with a few spots
possibly up to the upper 90s.

&&

55 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Very fake sun so far today.  :(

could be ... 

could be a sig MOS bust if this weird unplanned cloud exhaust doesn't stop like now!

something interestingly similar in appearance to what takes place over the Rockies, only doing it over NE.  Out west, sometimes the Pacific flow goes up and over the mountains and you get a stationary cloud shield that spreads somewhat down stream before dissipating...  This is happening this morning over the Greens and Whites' ..only, instead of 12,000 to 15,000 feet, it's doing it at 2,000 to 5,000 feet elevations. 

But, I was looking at the FRH grids last night and noting that despite the 19 C at 850, the NAM was having trouble getting the T1 level ( which is like 20 mb above the surface) to be even 30 C...   19 C would support a 980 mb level temp around 33 or 34 C, which might translate to a 2-meter of 98 F on a fair day... But, this cloud shield isn't fair!  it's blocking critical isolation and precisely the wrong time - 10 am to 2 PM (so far..).

So, for those that wanted the heat, you are currently getting shirked -  it probably will pass off by 1  or so looking at sat trends but it may be too late.  the total potential is robbed here...

29 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

could be ... 

could be a sig MOS bust if this weird unplanned cloud exhaust doesn't stop like now!

something interestingly similar in appearance to what takes place over the Rockies, only doing it over NE.  Out west, sometimes the Pacific flow goes up and over the mountains and you get a stationary cloud shield that spreads somewhat down stream before dissipating...  This is happening this morning over the Greens and Whites' ..only, instead of 12,000 to 15,000 feet, it's doing it at 2,000 to 5,000 feet elevations. 

But, I was looking at the FRH grids last night and noting that despite the 19 C at 850, the NAM was having trouble getting the T1 level ( which is like 20 mb above the surface) to be even 30 C...   19 C would support a 980 mb level temp around 33 or 34 C, which might translate to a 2-meter of 98 F on a fair day... But, this cloud shield isn't fair!  it's blocking critical isolation and precisely the wrong time - 10 am to 2 PM (so far..).

So, for those that wanted the heat, you are currently getting shirked -  it probably will pass off by 1  or so looking at sat trends but it may be too late.  the total potential is robbed here...

Its cleared our here, up to 80.2.

I finally caved and installed the window AC as it was above 80° F in here. I was able to duke it out during the May hot spell because the dew points were lower, but not this time. It went in about 2 weeks later than normal this year as it typically goes in around Memorial Day.

There are lots of motorcycles with CT, NY, and NJ tags on route 7 northbound today and I'm nearly 200 miles from Laconia. I wonder if they're all heading up that way for Bike Week. 

21 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

I finally caved and installed the window AC as it was above 80° F in here. I was able to duke it out during the May hot spell because the dew points were lower, but not this time. It went in about 2 weeks later than normal this year as it typically goes in around Memorial Day.

There are lots of motorcycles with CT, NY, and NJ tags on route 7 northbound today and I'm nearly 200 miles from Laconia. I wonder if they're all heading up that way for Bike Week. 

I'm 20 miles from Laconia and sure are a lot of bikes out there.  Maybe the forecast of hot and mostly dry weather will have a bigger turnout this year.

85/62F but a nice SW breeze does not make it feel that bad up at my elevation at least..

Archived