Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

1 minute ago, Rittenhouse said:

Only the far northern parts of the Upton CWA look to verify. Mixing evidently reached as far north as Cold Spring.

My thesis advisor lives up there. I just emailed him last night saying he'd prolly JP but I don't think many expected mixing that far north. They'll still do well though. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, jm1220 said:

Central Park should have something like 8". Sleet falls at 3-1 ratio so if 1.3 or so fell that's close to 4" of sleet, then maybe the first 0.40" or so fell as snow this morning at 10-1 snow ratio (maybe bad snow growth put it under 10-1 but regardless if there was no rain there, totals should be at least 7"). 

The first 4 inches at 12z were off of 0.61" LE. They had 1.27" since that report.

Finished up around a foot at MMU, but that's just me eyeballing it being a dad now. And it's COLD. And it's to remain cold for a few days afterwards! 

Speaking of impressive, SN+ in the daylight hours (had about 6" or so in 90 minutes, from 7:45 to 9:15), followed by heavy, wind-driven sleet, coupled with impassable roads... that's pretty amazing for mid-March. The main roads here in Morris County are still frozen, despite excellent and efficient public works departments by the counties and townships.

2 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Central Park should have something like 8". Sleet falls at 3-1 ratio so if 1.3 or so fell that's close to 4" of sleet, then maybe the first 0.40" or so fell as snow this morning at 10-1 snow ratio (maybe bad snow growth put it under 10-1 but regardless if there was no rain there, totals should be at least 7"). 

Latest total I saw was Central Park 4" (at 10 AM) while someone from Howard Beach reported 6.5" lol- you got 6.5" there, JM?

We were 19" up here the last time I checked which was awhile ago.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Latest total I saw was Central Park 4" (at 10 AM) while someone from Howard Beach reported 6.5" lol- you got 6.5" there, JM?

4" was at 8am.

LGA reported 5.9" at 8am as well.

Just now, Paragon said:

Nowhere near 6.5, I'm estimating 3.5" fell before rain, which is what others near here seem to have and eyeballing. I wasn't in the mood to get soaked outside measuring, and I needed a nap after the late nights tracking this bust. NW Queens looks like it did well, LGA might also end around 8". 

I wish this was for our area

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE

National Weather Service Binghamton NY
1256 PM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

...DANGEROUS BLIZZARD BLASTING CENTRAL NEW YORK AND NORTHEAST
PENNSYLVANIA...

NYZ009-018-036-037-044>046-055-056-PAZ038-039-043-151700-
/O.CON.KBGM.WS.W.0004.000000T0000Z-170316T0000Z/
Northern Oneida-Onondaga-Madison-Southern Oneida-Cortland-
Chenango-Otsego-Tioga-Broome-Bradford-Susquehanna-Wyoming-
Including the cities of Boonville, Syracuse, Hamilton, Oneida,
Rome, Utica, Cortland, Norwich, Oneonta, Owego, Waverly,
Binghamton, Sayre, Towanda, Hallstead, Montrose, and Tunkhannock
1256 PM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT
WEDNESDAY...

* ACCUMULATIONS...Total snow accumulation of 18 to 26 inches, with
locally higher amounts.

17 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Nowhere near 6.5, I'm estimating 3.5" fell before rain, which is what others near here seem to have and eyeballing. I wasn't in the mood to get soaked outside measuring, and I needed a nap after the late nights tracking this bust. NW Queens looks like it did well, LGA might also end around 8". 

I was getting a bad feeling last night around 11pm, so I went to bed....

Wasn't March 2001 one of the analogs for this storm? Looks like the disappointments aren't too far off. 

Everyone thought this would eventually trend east but phased monster storms like this always do the opposite. We can't win them all but hey most of us were able to hit our seasonal totals despite a record warm winter.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Wasn't March 2001 one of the analogs for this storm? Looks like the disappointments aren't too far off. 

Everyone thought this would eventually trend east but phased monster storms like this always do the opposite. We can't win them all but hey most of us were able to hit our seasonal totals despite a record warm winter.

and March 1993

2 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

March 2001 was not tucked it, it got going way too late for most here to benefit.   

In this type of setup had the low tracked about 50 miles further SE we'd be talking widespread 20"+ in most areas.

Exactly. And I either expected it to correct about 50 miles se or to fully phase, in which case, it would have still been 20+ for most areas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

14" even, wind has picked up considerably the last 1/2 hour.

Wow that's impressive! I'm a few towns down Rt. 304 in Bergen County and am eyeballing 7-8. I'm assuming I lost and inch or two to compaction of the 4 hours of heavy sleet we had. Had that been snow like the models were showing, we would of gotten to 18" IMO. Very juicy system, the mid-levels were just too warm too far north.  

Archived