Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 13-14, The Blizzard of 2017: Obs

Rtd208

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

Seeing videos of flooding from this morning in parts of town. Looks like a couple of feet of water in places with ice chunks floating down the streets lol. 

Heard it was worst in ACY with a 3.5 ft surge, it's number 9 on the list for them.  It bumped down last year's blizzard to number 10 at 3.25 ft.

I don't want to hear anyone downplay last year's snowstorm anymore, we might never see anything like that again in our lifetimes.

This storm was great in the Poconos but I love long-lasting storms the most.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, snywx said:

Far from pitiful.. When this storm ends ill be at or over 75" for the year

You're nowhere near me though.I'm really talking about Union Co on down. There were lots of years where folks up your way had plenty of snow and we didn't, for years. The odd thing was that some places up there were not in some recent years. That was really unusual. I would normally expect things to be very different north of here. Amazing how just two hours away or even less there is such a difference, but that was always the case most of the time. What is your seasonal average? A late friend lived in the little Adirondacks as he called them, and said he got about 70 a winter. The earlier storms this year tracked east so that even the city did a lot better than us. In fact, it did today. I'm glad we had the snows we did, but today was a real pain in the A with all the sleet. It was dangerous, I got stuck in the slush and pelted by sand pebbles. The dog wouldn't even go out. Those big MTD snowblowers are close to useless in any kind of mix. The electric Toro does better.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Heard it was worst in ACY with a 3.5 ft surge, it's number 9 on the list for them.  It bumped down last year's blizzard to number 10 at 3.25 ft.

I don't want to hear anyone downplay last year's snowstorm anymore, we might never see anything like that again in our lifetimes.

Last years storm was great in my area, it may not have had the super strong winds or extreme rates but there is something to be said for those long duration snowfalls. Something about snowing one night well into the next can't be replicated with some strong gusts in my opinion. Last year's storm goes down as one of the best hands down in this area simply because of how difficult it is to get something to come together for nearly 3 feet of snow on the coastal plain(especially here in CNJ).

Also in our area one of the only ways to realistically approach those amounts over a widespread area would be long duration snowfall, as opposed to systems like Boxing Day where you approach those amounts but much more locally due to mega banding.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Would have been nice if I wasn't in Texas for it. :(

6 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

You're nowhere near me though.I'm really talking about Union Co on down. There were lots of years where folks up your way had plenty of snow and we didn't, for years. The odd thing was that some places up there were not in some recent years. That was really unusual. I would normally expect things to be very different north of here. Amazing how just two hours away or even less there is such a difference, but that was always the case most of the time. What is your seasonal average? A late friend lived in the little Adirondacks as he called them, and said he got about 70 a winter. The earlier storms this year tracked east so that even the city did a lot better than us. In fact, it did today. I'm glad we had the snows we did, but today was a real pain in the A with all the sleet. It was dangerous, I got stuck in the slush and pelted by sand pebbles. The dog wouldn't even go out. Those big MTD snowblowers are close to useless in any kind of mix. The electric Toro does better.

This was definitely your typical 1980s/1990s storm that hit inland places worse than the coast. They're overdue for more of these.

9 minutes ago, JetsPens87 said:

Last years storm was great in my area, it may not have had the super strong winds or extreme rates but there is something to be said for those long duration snowfalls. Something about snowing one night well into the next can't be replicated with some strong gusts in my opinion. Last year's storm goes down as one of the best hands down in this area simply because of how difficult it is to get something to come together for nearly 3 feet of snow on the coastal plain(especially here in CNJ).

Also in our area one of the only ways to realistically approach those amounts over a widespread area would be long duration snowfall, as opposed to systems like Boxing Day where you approach those amounts but much more locally due to mega banding.

It reminds me of the storms of yore- reading through the Pennsylvania Weather Book, I found records of long duration storms like this, they're few and far between.  I remember February 1983, Presidents Day II, and a couple of others like this, but they're very rare.

I saved the snowfall maps of that storm because the 30"+ contour was straight across from Allentown to Morris Plains to Jackson Heights to JFK to Oceanside to Hicksville.

There was an oddball storm that stalled back in the early 90s off the east coast and it snowed for thirty straight hours, when it was just supposed to be a cold frontal passage.  I'll never forget that storm, all the snow fell from EWR to FOK and nothing north or south of there- or east or west for that matter.  It stalled just SE of the Hamptons and just pumped snow for a day and a half like a snowmaking machine.  During the day the temps were just above freezing but fell below freezing during the night and that's when we accumulated our 8 inches.

I don't remember what month and year that was but I remember the storm really well and I also remember Ch 11 PIX meteorologist Bob Harris calling it a "neutercane" or some similar name.

11 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

My 14 yr average is just under 56" but my longterm avg is right at 50"

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

This was definitely your typical 1980s/1990s storm that hit inland places worse than the coast. They're overdue for more of these.

Yes indeed. Even the period from 2007-09 where we didn't have anything major, then in 09 we started this trend of Monmouth Co and E LI getting a lot more than us. We had a few storms where we jackpotted here in recent years, Boxing Day, Jan 19 2011, last Jan, and a few of the 2014 storms. We also had a few in the aughts, PD 2, Jan 2000, and Dec 2003. In between we had decent events like Jan 05 where we didn't jackpot but did really well. Jan 2006 also. We've had some snow over the years, no doubt.

Just now, Snow88 said:

Just got back from shoveling cement 

Awful outside

I second that motion. Got rid of what I could before the flash freeze tonight. Heck of a way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Valentine's day sleet and ice fest in 2007. But this time around it was March 14th instead of February 14th.

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

I second that motion. Got rid of what I could before the flash freeze tonight. Heck of a way to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Valentine's day sleet and ice fest in 2007. But this time around it was March 14th instead of February 14th.

Well we had one around this time in March 2007 too- On St Paddy's Day

29 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Seeing videos of flooding from this morning in parts of town. Looks like a couple of feet of water in places with ice chunks floating down the streets lol. 

Lindenhurst flooding and Freeport flooding respectively  (from twitter).

C65cM__W0AEsoEb.jpg

C27sJy3VIAAb5oD.jpg

8 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Well we had one around this time in March 2007 too- On St Paddy's Day

Pretty decent gusts out on the North Fork. We probably could have had stronger gusts if the lapse rates were steeper under that powerful LLJ earlier.

...SUFFOLK COUNTY...
   ORIENT                  68   135 PM  3/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   2 WSW FISHERS ISLAND    67   129 PM  3/14  WXFLOW
   FISHERS ISLAND          67   129 PM  3/14  WXFLOW

Archived