joxey
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Thump but man too close for comfort. 

The metro areas and points north and west will be jumping for joy at this run (and deservedly so) but this isn't looking too good for me or the lower eastern shore IMHO. Reminds me a lot of February 2014. I really don't care though, just saying...

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The metro areas and points north and west will be jumping for joy at this run (and deservedly so) but this isn't looking too good for me or the lower eastern shore IMHO. Reminds me a lot of February 2014. I really don't care though, just saying...

Ha, not all points north and west.  But it's pointless to talk specifics.  I seriously doubt we've seen the final solution.

Just now, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Devil is in the details. Lots to be worked out still. I would say that you and I should expect some mix or a change to rain at some point though. Such is life in March and with a deep coastal.

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Updated thoughts?  I'm in no way giving you a hard time I was just kidding the other day. Hope you didn't take my contrarian stance as disrespectful. But what's your current thoughts and do you agree that over amped and a west trend is our biggest threat at this point?  

I think it's the best look we have had all season. I have been skeptical with any system this winter as the amplification and pattern support has been out west all year. It never quite came together for us and I could just see Sunday's system failing before it even entered the medium range. This pattern however looks much more favorable IF it's being modeled correctly. The sharp amplified ridge out west and strong jet energy diving south will likely force some serious energy into that trough with a vigorous low developing. That's certain with what I'm seeing. 

What concerns me is the timing of the trough, when it goes negative tilt and whether not it can capture at our latitude. Also...how much cold air is still around...if track is hugging the coast, could see warmer air come right in and make a mess of P-types. It has some similarities to Feb 2014 except in March. Hope the brunt falls overnight as sampled. 

Legitimate threat and kudos to you for pointing this out. I respect your view and opinion. 

I'd like to cash out, but Philly and even extreme NE MD is basically doubling our total. When I start seeing 2 feet+ just northeast of us, I have to hope for more southern solution plus capture and stall. At the same time, it skipping over us or coming too far west and getting almost or absolutely nothing is still very much in play.

15 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

At this point... I do not think we could get any better.

I would hit "sold" and take this no question but it could get better. Even this run doesn't max out the potential. The phase isn't clean. The primary does a fujiwara and the coastal races north and outruns the upper energy which actually goes south of us this run giving areas in sw va some decent snows. If this all came together in a clean phase it could be a monster. On the other hand that could be dangerous because if it phases too soon and pulls the whole thing west we go to rain so I would hold here. But there is more upside potential then then even this run if it phases perfectly. This did not. 

1 minute ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I think it's the best look we have had all season. I have been skeptical with any system this winter as the amplification and pattern support has been out west all year. It never quite came together for us and I could just see Sunday's system failing before it even entered the medium range. This pattern however looks much more favorable IF it's being modeled correctly. The sharp amplified ridge out west and strong jet energy diving south will likely force some serious energy into that trough with a vigorous low developing. That's certain with what I'm seeing. 

What concerns me is the timing of the trough, when it goes negative tilt and whether not it can capture at our latitude. Also...how much cold air is still around...if track is hugging the coast, could see warmer air come right in and make a mess of P-types. It has some similarities to Feb 2014 except in March. Hope the brunt falls overnight as sampled. 

Legitimate threat and kudos to you for pointing this out. I respect your view and opinion. 

:clap:

8 minutes ago, RidingTheModelWithMostSnow said:

So is this a good assumption?  Sunday storm that slide of the south east coast, regenerates into the storm that comes up the coast?

Its remnants get captured by strong energy that dives south-southeast southwest from Canada.

gfs_z500aNorm_us_16.png

We need the 50/50 to be moving out and the blocking to break. That's what allows this to amplify. The 50/50 and blocking is about getting the antecedent conditions needed. But yes it's a delicate balance. Those break too fast and we rain. Too slow and suppression. The Sunday vort was a little too soon. Hopefully the Tuesday one is just right and not 12 hours too late. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived