Newest Member
    joxey
March med-long range disco 3

WxUSAF

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Ralph Wiggum wants you to know, this is a big interior hit.  

His mom says he's special. 

Even though we're not in storm mode or threaded for the storm, let's go for banterless model runs so good disco is clumped together and not spread across pages of useless posts? 

22 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

With ops solidly keeping us inside the solid event with wiggle room goalposts and ensembles improving every run, I'm not going to worry about a single thing. Yes, we know where some problems could appear but until they do why bother. 

It could be snowing in our yards in as little as 84 hours. We're getting pretty close to the point where drastic shifts become very unlikely. And having some room in all directions at this point feels pretty damn good. 

Agree, though hard to not worry about things going wrong to be sure!  That said, the good thing about this event is (as you mention) we have some room either way to get a solid event out of this almost regardless.  There are several different paths to get good snow, we're not grasping at one or two outlier ensemble members.  In fact from what I've looked at and read in here, there's actually some upside potential here.  We should not (or hope not!) get major shifts by this point, so overall yeah, have to feel good where things stand.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Kind of a weird precip hole over the region from the Euro. Dry slot at some point?

It seemed like initially there was enough interaction between the primary low and the coastal to pull precip back and back it up against the mountains up into western VA.  Then at some point the coastal low escapes the "capture" and slides off ENE instead of NNE and at that point the low reconsolidates and some heavy banding sets up over coastal NJ and robs moisture transport into the dying precip inland.  That "reorganization" phase happens right over us.  The good news is scanning the euro ensembles there are very few members that have that evolution.  Hopefully we do not see it heading that way. 

I know the models are showing this in some instances, but I have real trouble believing a 10 inch snow storm is actually possible in March.  Call it sun angle, latitude, hunch, warm pavement, whatever, but my mind is looking at these outputs and just saying "no way".  Will be really interesting to see how this evolves over the weekend.  

Just now, Don Cherry's Jacket said:

I know the models are showing this in some instances, but I have real trouble believing a 10 inch snow storm is actually possible in March.  Call it sun angle, latitude, hunch, warm pavement, whatever, but my mind is looking at these outputs and just saying "no way".  Will be really interesting to see how this evolves over the weekend.  

Is this a joke? It's happened before and its happened somewhat recently. It's certainly possible if its cold enough, and warm pavement shouldn't be much of an issue considering our lows will be in the teens over the weekend. 

Just now, Don Cherry's Jacket said:

First off we will be in a cold airmass.  Secondly, it is a mostly overnight storm.  We have had 3 storms with 10+ inches in the last 4 years in March

I don't really understand the mindset that a big snowstorm can't happen in March. Why not? Just because very few have happened in the past? That's just because it's difficult to get the cold air in place and also have a dynamic system. In this case, we have the cold air in place, which is difficult in March. On top of that, you have a lot of warm air running around in March, so if you can get that running into cold air, you can really go big.

One thing that I always said I'd pay attention to is for the last few days, the models that seem to give us the best looks start with a pretty decent south digging snow line today. It looks like that is indeed happening, with snow making its way as far south as Manassas. Hopefully this is a good prelude and good omen.

2 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I don't really understand the mindset that a big snowstorm can't happen in March. Why not? Just because very few have happened in the past? That's just because it's difficult to get the cold air in place and also have a dynamic system. In this case, we have the cold air in place, which is difficult in March. On top of that, you have a lot of warm air running around in March, so if you can get that running into cold air, you can really go big.

Well, the last part about the warm air elsewhere being able to amp the storm I do agree with.  But, its also why its hard to fully believe in a big storm. Minor track differences creating hefty differences in the snow/rain line, for example.   Like I said, let's see how the models progress over the weekend.  Realistically, down seems like the only real direction.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived