Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 12/13 SWFE/Coastal Observations

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, The 4 Seasons said:

poor DC you guys got the shaft hard this winter.

Its not that bad when you consider last January 22-24, Dale City WAS Maine, with 27 inches of snow on a level, drifts to 6 feet and BLSN New England style.

I spent 5 straight days digging snow. My neighbor had a 7 foot drift in front of her house. She waded out to my front door and pounded the hell out of it: "GET OUT HERE JEBMAN! Get off that weather board and DIG ME THE HELL OUT! You wanted this snow! Get out here and help me! NOW!"

I got the hell out there pronto. It took hours. LOL

I'd like to heartily THANK all of you up in the Northeast for your EPIC, EPIC snow pics!!!!! I have so many of them on my computer, and they are gracing my monitor. I'll be enjoying them for years to come! Thanks SO MUCH!

Hi Everyone!  I ultimately documented the blizzard between Bangor & Bar Harbor, ME.  Experienced blizzard conditions throughout this area with strong wind gusts creating 7' drifts (in various spots) from the 20-24" snowfall recorded.  Also filmed very large waves crashing against the seawall at Southwest Harbor, just after high tide, that was splashing water onto seawall road.  

Due to the unexpected, unplanned, and hasty progression of these two chase events...it has been a grueling/exhausting past 6 days.  During this time, I've slept an accumulative 23.5 hours and driven more than 2600 miles (still have 1100 to go to get back home).  As a result, I was consistently rushing and second-guessing myself throughout.  With clearer thinking, I would've repositoned myself further inland as the day progressed when. it became clear where the heaviest banding (associated with the CCB) set up.  Instead, I was hesitent to leave the coastal area being way too focused on documenting the forecasted wind gusts to 60 knots that never came close to realization; not deep enough convection to mix those type winds to the surface.  Ironically, White Plains, NY saw them, instead!

For the aforementioned reasons, I'm left with a little self-induced regret (goal is always to be in position to document greatest effects).  Thankful I was still able to observe blizzard conditions with the storm, where I was, but the blizzard conditions were far more extreme in the first event (even though total snowfall was greater with this most recent one).

I would be remiss if I didn't express my most heart-felt appreciation to each of you who so thoughtfully offered your suggestions/advice during these events.  Although I'm generally consumed by capturing the best footage I can, I apologize that I didn't provide ongoing, updated, and first-hand accounts of the effects as they occured.  I will make an asserted effort to do that in the future.

As hard as it is to be leaving this region with another storm on the way, I'd be in serious need of an intervention if I stayed and didn't get back home to my family.  Yep, it's time to put the "weenie" back in the pants.  Being that I'm 1100 miles away on Valentines Day, after choosing to chase a second blizzard, I suspect that's where it will be staying for awhile!

Edit: Had figured the milage driven incorrectly.         

Hi Everyone!  I ultimately documented the blizzard between Bangor & Bar Harbor, ME.  Experienced blizzard conditions throughout this area with strong wind gusts creating 7' drifts (in various spots) from the 20-24" snowfall recorded.  Also filmed very large waves crashing against the seawall at Southwest Harbor, just after high tide, that was splashing water onto seawall road.  

Due to the unexpected, unplanned, and hasty progression of these two chase events...it has been a grueling/exhausting past 6 days.  During this time, I've slept an accumulative 23.5 hours and driven more than 2600 miles (still have 1100 to go to get back home).  As a result, I was consistently rushing and second-guessing myself throughout.  With clearer thinking, I would've repositoned myself further inland as the day progressed when. it became clear where the heaviest banding (associated with the CCB) set up.  Instead, I was hesitent to leave the coastal area being way too focused on documenting the forecasted wind gusts to 60 knots that never came close to realization; not deep enough convection to mix those type winds to the surface.  Ironically, White Plains, NY saw them, instead!

For the aforementioned reasons, I'm left with a little self-induced regret (goal is always to be in position to document greatest effects).  Thankful I was still able to observe blizzard conditions with the storm, where I was, but the blizzard conditions were far more extreme in the first event (even though total snowfall was greater with this most recent one).

I would be remiss if I didn't express my most heart-felt appreciation to each of you who so thoughtfully offered your suggestions/advice during these events.  Although I'm generally consumed by capturing the best footage I can, I apologize that I didn't provide ongoing, updated, and first-hand accounts of the effects as they occured.  I will make an asserted effort to do that in the future.

As hard as it is to be leaving this region with another storm on the way, I'd be in serious need of an intervention if I stayed and didn't get back home to my family.  Yep, it's time to put the "weenie" back in the pants.  Being that I'm 1100 miles away on Valentines Day, after choosing to chase a second blizzard, I suspect that's where it will be staying for awhile!

Where can we see the video?

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I see GYX office recorded 14.2" which isn't that far from me. I ended with 20" but didn't have the chance to measure every 6hr and don't have a snow board. Then I see Poland and mechanic falls, both not far from me as a crow flies and they are 20" as well. Weird.

We really choked on exhaust for most of the daylight hours yesterday. When that band started to fill back in it did some from the north and west, so we were one of the last places to go back over to SN/+SN. Luck of the draw I guess.

And @dendrite not sure what went on with the climate yesterday afternoon. I'm not sure who did it, but if it is who I think it is I'm surprised the mistake happened. I was so busy with the outage being fixed that it slipped my mind, but I probably should've noticed the red flag that PWM was triggering a record snowfall for the day.

3 hours ago, ncforecaster89 said:

Well played!

Looking forward to the video!

Epic

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
SPOTTER REPORTS
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CARIBOU ME
1100 AM EST TUE FEB 14 2017

THE FOLLOWING ARE UNOFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS TAKEN DURING THE PAST 24
HOURS FOR THE STORM THAT HAS BEEN AFFECTING OUR REGION. APPRECIATION
IS EXTENDED TO HIGHWAY DEPARTMENTS...COOPERATIVE OBSERVERS...CWOP
OBSERVERS...SKYWARN SPOTTERS...FACEBOOK FANS...AND MEDIA FOR THESE
REPORTS. THIS SUMMARY IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON OUR HOME PAGE AT
WEATHER.GOV/CARIBOU

********************STORM TOTAL SNOWFALL********************

LOCATION          STORM TOTAL     TIME/DATE   COMMENTS
                     SNOWFALL           OF
                     /INCHES/   MEASUREMENT

MAINE

...AROOSTOOK COUNTY...
   SHERMAN               32.5   558 AM  2/14  DRIFTS OF 8+ FEET
   2 SW CARY             30.5   559 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   ORIENT                24.0   644 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SOUTH AMITY           17.0   740 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 ESE LINNEUS         17.0  1221 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 S HOULTON           14.0   506 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BRIDGEWATER           12.0  1036 AM  2/14  COOP/RIVER
   2 SSE ASHLAND          9.3   700 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 WSW PRESQUE ISLE     7.0   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   ESTCOURT STATION       6.0  1032 AM  2/14  PORT OF ENTRY
   1 N CARIBOU            5.2  1054 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   5 NNW NEW SWEDEN       5.2   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   FORT KENT              5.0   558 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   FORT KENT - COOP       5.0   700 AM  2/14  CO-OP OBSERVER
   4 ENE NEW SWEDEN       5.0   531 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   5 NE LORING            4.8   650 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   VAN BUREN - COOP       3.5   730 AM  2/14  CO-OP OBSERVER
   3 E MADAWASKA          3.3   600 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   SAINT PAMPHILE         2.0  1033 AM  2/14  PORT OF ENTRY

...HANCOCK COUNTY...
   3 SE SOUTHWEST HARBO  28.7   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   6 ESE DEDHAM          27.0   500 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   PENOBSCOT             24.0   642 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   EAST SURRY            23.6  1200 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   2 N LAMOINE           23.0   741 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 N DEER ISLE         22.0  1002 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 NW MOUNT DESERT     19.0   606 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   SOUTHWEST HARBOR      18.0   630 PM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   BROOKLIN              16.3  1207 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   7 NW ELLSWORTH        15.0   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS

...PENOBSCOT COUNTY...
   HUDSON                40.0   641 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   BRADFORD              40.0   641 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   KENDUSKEAG            40.0   700 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   GLENBURN              40.0   642 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   3 WSW ETNA            34.1   600 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   LEVANT                32.0   642 PM  2/13  SOCIAL MEDIA
   4 NE LINCOLN          29.8   500 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   1 N LINCOLN           27.0  1054 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 SW VEAZIE           26.2  1005 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 SSW GLENBURN        24.5  1220 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   7 SSE SPRINGFIELD     24.5   949 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   BANGOR INTERNATIONAL  24.2   653 PM  2/13  ASOS
   HAMPDEN               24.0   543 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   1 SW ORONO            22.5   613 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 SW ORRINGTON        22.0   500 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   ORONO                 21.0   509 PM  2/13  U MAINE
   MILLINOCKET WWTP      20.5   636 AM  2/14  CO-OP OBSERVER

...PISCATAQUIS COUNTY...
   DOVER-FOXCROFT        30.0  1030 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 ESE WILLIMANTIC     28.0  1029 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   GUILFORD              28.0   616 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 N MOUNT KATAHDIN    25.0  1056 AM  2/14  CHIMNEY POND
   SEBEC                 22.0  1203 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   GREENVILLE            22.0  1032 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   DOVER-FOXCROFT - COO  22.0   700 AM  2/14  CO-OP OBSERVER
   1 NNW ABBOT           19.5   506 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   5 WNW ABBOT           18.0   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   2 S MONSON            18.0  1031 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER

...WASHINGTON COUNTY...
   WHITING               38.0   700 AM  2/14  COOP/RIVER
   1 SW JONESBORO        36.0  1200 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 ESE EASTPORT        31.8   700 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   ROBBINSTON            28.2  1158 PM  2/13  CO-OP OBSERVER
   1 NW ROBBINSTON       27.8   657 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER
   10 SE PRINCETON       26.0  1229 AM  2/14  SOCIAL MEDIA
   4 WNW BARING          26.0  1054 AM  2/14  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 SE COOPER           21.2   600 AM  2/14  COCORAHS
   TOPSFIELD - COOP      20.0   700 AM  2/14  CO-OP OBSERVER
   COLUMBIA              18.5  1036 PM  2/13  TRAINED SPOTTER

&&

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well now our part of the storm looks rather meh.

CAR just chucked 4 reports of 40" from yesterday (Kenduskeag, Glenburn, Hudson, and Bradford).

Did the Lunenburg weenie go up to those 4 adjacent towns and just throw out a rounded off 40" report for each?

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Did the Lunenburg weenie go up to those 4 adjacent towns and just throw out a rounded off 40" report for each?

Yeah and look at the timestamp on all of them...within like 20 minutes of eachother. Nevermind that all of them are exactly 40.0" to the tenth.

16 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well now our part of the storm looks rather meh.

CAR just chucked 4 reports of 40" from yesterday (Kenduskeag, Glenburn, Hudson, and Bradford).

It's like a nice compact snowbomb went off 10-15 miles NW of BGR.  That general area (Central Penobscot County) also had numerous +/- 30" reports, probably more credible.  Couple big reports from Wash Cty as well.  Not much from between Route 6 and Route 9, and that's often a snow catcher.

Finished with 21", same as Dec. 29-30, though this storm had lesser snowfall rates and more wind.  Top depth on cocorahs (when I checked 3 hr ago) was 49" in Winthrop, about 10 miles W of Augusta.  Mine reached 47" last night, settled 2" by 7A.  I have to believe there are spots in inland eastern Maine with 50 or more. 

2 minutes ago, tamarack said:

It's like a nice compact snowbomb went off 10-15 miles NW of BGR.  That general area (Central Penobscot County) also had numerous +/- 30" reports, probably more credible.  Couple big reports from Wash Cty as well.  Not much from between Route 6 and Route 9, and that's often a snow catcher.

Finished with 21", same as Dec. 29-30, though this storm had lesser snowfall rates and more wind.  Top depth on cocorahs (when I checked 3 hr ago) was 49" in Winthrop, about 10 miles W of Augusta.  Mine reached 47" last night, settled 2" by 7A.  I have to believe there are spots in inland eastern Maine with 50 or more. 

I think Andover in the lead with 62"

I posted a disclaimer with the original post made about snowfall ratios at PWM, CON and BGR. As mentioned above, there was something faulty about yesterrday's climate reports (apparently) but rather than editing the copy posted, I added the correct info and left the original since it's later quoted and discussed. My apologies for the confusion, but it does appear that the information posted was in error (as provable by the incorrect monthly and seasonal snowfall totals given). There is no trace of the faulty reports now since the archives only list the corrected full-day climate reports. The erroneous info was probably restricted to PWM and CON, as BGR appears to have been correct as issued and later amended for the snow that fell after the first report at 4 p.m. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think Andover in the lead with 62"

Probably a nice sheltered spot up there.

When I was up at Sunday River in March 2014, I remember the sheltered spots had 50"+ OTG...while more exposed spots might be 3 feet or so. A really weenie location up there where the snow takes forever to melt.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably a nice sheltered spot up there.

When I was up at Sunday River in March 2014, I remember the sheltered spots had 50"+ OTG...while more exposed spots might be 3 feet or so. A really weenie location up there where the snow takes forever to melt.

It is

Archived