Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7th Mixed Bag North of the Pike

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

It was right around 32 a couple hours ago in Lexington, with some freezing drizzle, and the walkways were nice and icy. I am heading out shortly, hoping to avoid falling on my ass on my way down the stairs.

i was right, it is quite icy. didn't fall on my ass, but untreated sidewalks are scary icy. I feel like they are unprepared

21 minutes ago, White Rain said:

I am not sure if I have experienced ice rain at these temps before. It's just misting but we must have had a few good showers because everything is encased in ice ,trees and roads. Even the main road through town (Route 12) is covered in ice. 21.6F. Really dangerous driving.

Wasn't there an event last winter in C/NNE where we started right out with freezing rain in the upper teens and lower 20's.  Total nightmare with bare pavement.  

Sleet/snow grain mix when I came in an hour ago and looks to be the same still. 21f Not sure how much we've gotten between both rounds 4"-6"? I have never been good about measuring but ever since our deck was reconfigured when put on an addition, I haven't found a good spot to put the table I use. It's wintry and snowy and that's what matters the most to me. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lexington has dropped below 30F now...while Winchester/Arlington is still 35F....think the tuck should get into BOS by midnight. Don't think it will last long, but it is a nasty flash freeze. All of metrowest is iced over.

yup it is nasty here in Lex, my car is encased in ice. still drizzling, and it is just freezing on contact. Could be an interessting morning commute. i bet many are surprised.

17 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

yup it is nasty here in Lex, my car is encased in ice. still drizzling, and it is just freezing on contact. Could be an interessting morning commute. i bet many are surprised.

It should be out of here by 12z...operative word being "Should"...guidance is now waiting until about 10z to get rid of the CAD airmass, but that is already a good 3 hours later than earlier runs. So we'll see. There could be some pretty nasty glazing in the meantime. Luckily not a ton of QPF, but the flash freeze is dangerous enough.

Just now, mreaves said:

Same here but 22f. Happy that this week should be a net gain for snow otg. Of course, I imagine trying to groom sleet will be like like trying to groom bb's lol.  

We had 5.3" of like 15:1 fluff earlier today, So this should blend in well as well as what may fall on Thursday here.

Just now, dryslot said:

We had 5.3" of like 15:1 fluff earlier today, So this should blend in well as well as what may fall on Thursday here.

Temps don't look too outrageous tomorrow, 41f progged for the high and then back below freezing by 5:00 or 6:00 p.m.  It will be the fourth weekend in a row that we've gone riding and second that we've ridden from home. 

1 minute ago, mreaves said:

Temps don't look too outrageous tomorrow, 41f progged for the high and then back below freezing by 5:00 or 6:00 p.m.  It will be the fourth weekend in a row that we've gone riding and second that we've ridden from home. 

Yeah, Its just a brief warm up before the CF sweeps thru and drops temps, I should be able to ride from here this weekend as well.

14 minutes ago, mreaves said:

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, Its just a brief warm up before the CF sweeps thru and drops temps, I should be able to ride from here this weekend as well.

Yeah, tough call on high temps. It's really going to be for an hour at most, but our grids would suggest otherwise.

2 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

Will guess as to when this warms up especially along the coast near the city?

I would think by 12z it should be mostly eroded except maybe far N ORH county...and parts of S NH...maybe far NE MA too....but who knows for sure. These things can just erode very fast at once it sloshes east...or they can stay put for hours longer than models think. This still has a push to the southwest back in CT, so it's not done yet...the mesolow is still exterting some big influence.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I would think by 12z it should be mostly eroded except maybe far N ORH county...and parts of S NH...maybe far NE MA too....but who knows for sure. These things can just erode very fast at once it sloshes east...or they can stay put for hours longer than models think. This still has a push to the southwest back in CT, so it's not done yet...the mesolow is still exterting some big influence.

ok thanks. Just have to plan on early morning i guess.

Archived