Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 7th Mixed Bag North of the Pike

HoarfrostHubb

17 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

1.9"  so far on .52" LE. Not exactly awe inspiring ratios

Snow/sleet combo most if the day. Temp was up at 30F midday, but has actually slowly trickled down to 26F. Curious to see how much ZR I get before the low level cold is scoured out.

Surprised you had so little snow. Stratton was reporting 4". Based on the temp profiles and your ratios I don't see how they could possibly have done that much better then you 

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lucky that this didn't happen about 3-4 hours sooner...when this low level cold sloshes east before finallly lifting out....it's gonna be a big flash freeze in BOS metro/metro west inside of 128. If it had happened at rush hour instead of a couple hours from now, what a disaster that would have been.

Probably more than a few folks will be landing on their azzes when they take out the trash after dinner unsuspecting of what transpired in the prior couple hours.

24 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Surprised you had so little snow. Stratton was reporting 4". Based on the temp profiles and your ratios I don't see how they could possibly have done that much better then you 

Well 4" vs 2" isn't really "that" much better.  I didn't look at the mid levels for Stratton or any place over the spine, but wouldn't take much more cold through the column to get 4-5" on the east slopes. I was flirting all day with big fatties and pellets. It was also super gusty and the west slopes and hard to get a totally accurate measurement. When it was snowing, it blowing all round and right off the glacier that I have in the yard.

24 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

This is pretty impressive. I figured we'd be colder than modeled but not this cold. 20F and still dropping with snow grains

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We've had ice pellets with maybe pixie dust for the past 2 hours. Def from low level cold.

MHT just flipped back to -SN, so I definitely think the low level cold is producing snizzle instead of FZDZ.

12 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Heavy snow and sleet 20 F. Gusty NE wind. Probably the best winter event we've had on the seacoast of NH this season. A winter storm warning should have been issued here. 

How much do you have?

I think a 9" in 24 hour warning criteria probably fit this system best, but that's not how our WCM rolls.

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

MHT just flipped back to -SN, so I definitely think the low level cold is producing snizzle instead of FZDZ.

You figure we're flirting with like -6C in the boundary layer and the layer is fairly deep right now...like 900mb and below. That's gonna produce some cruddy flakes and certainly freeze anything liquid from aloft.

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

How much do you have?

I think a 9" in 24 hour warning criteria probably fit this system best, but that's not how our WCM rolls.

Yea. I'm not familiar with the criteria around here. I moved up here recently from NY. I suppose my argument should be pointed at the criteria rather than the forecaster(s).

We aren't close to 9". Probably around 5 but it's hard to tell. The sleet has capped accums for the past several hours. I guess my point is this is a legit winter storm, and we don't have a warning. Environemntal Conditions are brutal and road conditions are horrible-- it's a high impact event that's lasted all day...

Just now, jbenedet said:

Yea. I'm not familiar with the criteria around here. I moved up here recently from NY. I suppose my argument should be pointed at the criteria rather than the forecaster(s).

We aren't close to 9". Probably around 5 but it's hard to tell. The sleet has capped accums for the past several hours. I guess my point is this is a legit winter storm, and we don't have a warning. Environemntal Conditions are brutal and road conditions are horrible-- it's a high impact event that's lasted all day...

Well our criteria is 6" in 12 hours, or 9" in 24+ hours. 

We've had a 3-6" forecast for days now, so I'm actually pretty happy with this one. And technically speaking, the winter weather advisory is issued for poor road conditions.

I think we've gotten away recently from the winter storm warnings truly meaning life threatening conditions. 

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lucky that this didn't happen about 3-4 hours sooner...when this low level cold sloshes east before finallly lifting out....it's gonna be a big flash freeze in BOS metro/metro west inside of 128. If it had happened at rush hour instead of a couple hours from now, what a disaster that would have been.

Probably more than a few folks will be landing on their azzes when they take out the trash after dinner unsuspecting of what transpired in the prior couple hours.

It was right around 32 a couple hours ago in Lexington, with some freezing drizzle, and the walkways were nice and icy. I am heading out shortly, hoping to avoid falling on my ass on my way down the stairs.

Just now, dendrite said:

Is that final there? I swear they had more than that. Did you see my post a couple days ago about 1/31 in their F6? 

They just called in with 2.6" total, and I don't see much more for them if any. 

I did, I sent it along to our climate focal point and he swore he had already fixed it, but turns out he just removed the snow error and forgot to fix the precip too.

6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

They just called in with 2.6" total, and I don't see much more for them if any. 

I did, I sent it along to our climate focal point and he swore he had already fixed it, but turns out he just removed the snow error and forgot to fix the precip too.

Cool. Thanks. I caught it the other day when comparing my Jan liquid to CON.

And I agree CON is done...I just swear when I left there at 3p there had to have been about 3" new then. Guess I overestimated a bit.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Cool. Thanks. I caught it the other day when comparing my Jan liquid to CON.

And I agree CON is done...I just swear when I left there at 3p there had to have been about 3" new then. Guess I overestimated a bit.

Waiting until 7 PM exactly to measure might've led to some compaction when the mix started.

Archived