Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Model Mayhem IV!

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's interesting the operational guidance from 00z (exception of course being that GGEM ...) took a bit of a back seat on the idea for a more substantive event during the end of the first week of February; the teleconnectors still support that.  Note, the 06z bringing it back is noted..  It's way out there; we are still just setting the table anyway.

However, one thing I noticed is that the preponderance of warm heights in the deep south partially returned; that offsets the support.  I am not sure if that has legs ... Several cycles showed the 582 dm height contour had receded S of MIA, with a bit more of a "gap" between it and the 576 (which also opened up relative to the 570 and so forth...). However, last night's operational tenor seemed to close those gaps/reposition the 582 about half way back...  Problem is (for me) that's entirely possible if not plausible considering seasonal trends (not to name other reasons). It's all important in the mechanical physics for out there in time.  The changes as discussed across the northern arc of the Pacific appear to still be in tact in the tele's, and the PNA as well (despite any deviations from those the operationals presently depict); the issue is that that could all come to pass while said seasonal persistence does as well.  We end up with more action in the flow, but still screaming along and sheared/progressively maddening for timing light to midland sized events.  

It is my guess though, that folks wouldn't care how it is all being delivered, as long as it does - just sayn'

In the meantime, my suspicion is that we've seen the max across one of these guidance cycles wrt what will happen from Monday and Wednesday, and it's just been like the magnitude variances are rattling around inside a narrow envelope of relative insignificance.  Obviously we collectively know/knew that we are not dealing with anything special there - but sufficed it is to say, it's better in an otherwise maddening dearth to have just about anything take place at all.  That's sort of the attitude I have om those; the usual checklist of "maybe ifs" has been checked off and none of those answers offer reason to think otherwise.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Gfs looks better for the clipper as well.

The shortwave is getting more of a kink on the front end of it. That's what we gotta watch for as mentioned previously. Back that flow just a bit and it changes the complexion of the system. 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The shortwave is getting more of a kink on the front end of it. That's what we gotta watch for as mentioned previously. Back that flow just a bit and it changes the complexion of the system. 

Yep. And subtle srfc features like weak HP to the north are sneaking in trying for low level erly flow. 

Looks like the main difference been the GFS SWFE and tHE EURO rainer in the long range is that the GFS is more impressive with the +pp north of ME.

Looks like a mess, though......not a big ticket event.

That much is becoming clear. We would need to see that PNA ridge get significantly more robust in order to dig that SLRV H5 low south.

EDIT: Shocked to see the GEM back down....didn't see that coming-

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I thought euro would be decent given mid levels but it has little to show for it. Does drop a couple up north.

Yeah thought it looked pretty good aloft so I was expecting a better result. Anyways, 12z def trended better for the clipper. 

I'm not yet interested in chasing Super Bowl ghosts...ill wait a few more days for that. Hard to hate the pattern tough going forward. Plenty of cold around and we should get some activity. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah thought it looked pretty good aloft so I was expecting a better result. Anyways, 12z def trended better for the clipper. 

I'm not yet interested in chasing Super Bowl ghosts...ill wait a few more days for that. Hard to hate the pattern tough going forward. Plenty of cold around and we should get some activity. 

Agree.  I see some getting sucked in. One thing at a time. I could care less about that storm later on 

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Looks like the main difference been the GFS SWFE and tHE EURO rainer in the long range is that the GFS is more impressive with the +pp north of ME.

Looks like a mess, though......not a big ticket event.

That much is becoming clear. We would need to see that PNA ridge get significantly more robust in order to dig that SLRV H5 low south.

EDIT: Shocked to see the GEM back down....didn't see that coming-

Where did you see a euro rainer?

Archived