• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

I don't think this thing's going to exactly end on a dime, either..  I'm seeing 70 to 90% RH loaded through the 800 mb level, with ENE mid BL flow of 20 kts ripping into eastern zones.  If there's any IVT left in the wake, i bet that's good for some rad filling back in... 

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We are def. honing in on a comp solution, as the EURO caved towards the GFS/NAM to a slight degree, and vice versa.

Consensus solution is to be outside of rt 128.

I agree there's fairly decent concensus right now...of course slight differences mean a lot to those toeing the line but overall this is fairly tight among the guidance.

50 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My gut would be to drag that all just a little bit south. I think that PWM could easily be in the watch too. Likewise coastal York and maybe even Rockingham. 

GFS MOS would agree. Honestly I'm a bit surprised how cold this is for kpsm--temp never gets to freezing and surface wind nearly due north...

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/mos/getmav.pl?sta=KPSM

51 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My gut would be to drag that all just a little bit south. I think that PWM could easily be in the watch too. Likewise coastal York and maybe even Rockingham. 

You guys waiting to issue Advisories?  Lead time will be plenty to do it overnight, but the idea with the watches but no advisories is that you don't issue headlines for advisory amounts too far in advance? 

Jan_16_headlinesGYX.jpg

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh haha.  I missed that.  I was like holy crap that's bullish.  SREFS are always tossed IMO but that explains it. 

Like I said, there may be a trend we can use in the product (ticking colder and cold than normal to begin with) but amounts are trash. I would say with the other available information they lend some confidence to a colder solution.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You guys waiting to issue Advisories?  Lead time will be plenty to do it overnight, but the idea with the watches but no advisories is that you don't issue headlines for advisory amounts too far in advance? 

The recommendation for advisory/warning lead time is 12-24 hours, so like you say we have time. And since some of the watch will probably be an advisory anyway, we really don't want to issue some but not all at the same time. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

The recommendation for advisory/warning lead time is 12-24 hours, so we have time. And since some of the watch will probably be an advisory anyway, we really don't want to issue some but not all at the same time. 

Yeah that's what I figured.  I'd feel pretty good about issuing advisories at least one zone north/east of the watch zone in the overnight package barring any huge shifts.  Think you guys get to low end warning in a few core zones.  Even if it busted warm or weaker, think 7" is a good bet for a select area.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's what I figured.  I'd feel pretty good about issuing advisories at least one zone north/east of the watch zone in the overnight package barring any huge shifts.  Think you guys get to low end warning in a few core zones.  Even if it busted warm or weaker, think 7" is a good bet for a select area.

These 4-8" storms are the hardest to issue headlines for because it straddles our criteria. Our forecast may be dead on with amounts, but if we pick the wrong headlines our stats look awful. So it will be a tough decision what to upgrade to warnings and what to upgrade to advisories. 

Archived