Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm not confident in dynamics for this one so could be a few wet inches here at best.  We'll see what 12z models say but I am anticipating lousy ratios.  7:1 maybe?  I need to learn how to do snow cores to get w.e.

Easy to do if you have the stratus gauge and a snowboard

In an operational sense ... it makes a good deal of sense that NWS doens't flip switches, up or downgrading headlines after the initial switch was turned on. 

Obviously, if that became the common practice, they'd risk having status of adv/watch/warn changing ever 6-hourly model cycle ... the media would/could never catch up and/or do so at different rates among the various outlets;  we'd wind up with a hodgepodge of different event alert statuses.  Even changing them every 12 hours and skipping the 2's would impart the same defeating of alert purpose ...  

There's that, but, the models themselves tend to do this and seemingly play a dupe game against veracious effort.  You can have sub-sequencing that "looks" like solid consistency, fail on the next run - and usually, bet dimes to donuts that was precisely when x-y-z office bought into said consistency.  enters sad trumpet - wah wah waaah.  

In an operational sense ... there are usually clad markers that unless you see...you stay the course.  Those can come along as just an undeniable series of indicators (unless one is biased, delusional..., or just plain stupid), or perhaps experience/wisdom in matters...    So there is some subjectivity there - which is sort of the "art" that's left over after all the objective data has been consumed. ...most importantly, consumed objectively... Imho - I don't think anything over the last 12 hours required changing the layout of adv/warn status... We're still inside of 'margins for errors'

This was never supposed to be a big deal?  For me it was really about shutting up the tsunamis of woe-ism that there was nothing to follow/offer entertainment during the last week; which I found to be untrue and well... feel pretty vindicated.   I tell ya - there differently is a secondary...tertiary sort of set of group psychology/dynamic that goes on in here that is at times as energetic as atmosphere. We tongue-in-cheek our way delicately around impugning the general audience for it, but ...  it's there. 

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

20-25mm water equivalent snow = 0.8"-1"

Back to 8-10".  Interesting

conditionally this thing is loaded against ... 

i mean, it's blazing away sunshine N of the cloud shield, which is demarcated by a thin razor edge... goes form open sky to inhibited sun over about 3 miles of heavens. 

that's important ... even in the feeble sun of mid January that is so, because ...the atmosphere is/was so marginal.  for those banking on a this staying frozen, which it probably will once wet bulb and midland dynamics pass through... , marginal is code for 'not having much wiggle room' when it comes to preserving matters.  the models charging taxes so deep the coast not gets no profit .. it's all sort of providing an affectation of trying to succeed in an environment of haters and vitriol - ha!   the weather channel should have named this storm, "Obama"

9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

conditionally this thing is loaded against ... 

i mean, it's blazing away sunshine N of the cloud shield, which is demarcated by a thin razor edge... goes form open sky to inhibited sun over about 3 miles of heavens. 

that's important ... even in the feeble sun of mid January that is so, because ...the atmosphere is/was so marginal.  for those banking on a this staying frozen, which it probably will once wet bulb and midland dynamics pass through... , marginal is code for 'not having much wiggle room' when it comes to preserving matters.  the models charging taxes so deep the coast not gets no profit .. it's all sort of providing an affectation of trying to succeed in an environment of haters and vitriol - ha!   the weather channel should have named this storm, "Obama"

Jeez John, you certainly beat around the Bush

Yup, marginal.  Could be sloppy, wet junk for a while

The one thing that bothers me about this event is that a lot of guidance is limited the duration of heavier precip to just a few hours...2-4 hours of good precip should wetbulb many folks in the interior to snow, but then it starts to lighten up and/or become more fractured. I'd like to see things consolidate a bit better. That would be my biggest concern for not getting much....RGEM really tries and backfills the precip shield so it ends up working out, but that is kind of precarious. We'll have to see how everything trends on the short term guidance this afternoon. Could be the difference between 1-3" of slop and 6-8" in the higher terrain.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The one thing that bothers me about this event is that a lot of guidance is limited the duration of heavier precip to just a few hours...2-4 hours of good precip should wetbulb many folks in the interior to snow, but then it starts to lighten up and/or become more fractured. I'd like to see things consolidate a bit better. That would be my biggest concern for not getting much....RGEM really tries and backfills the precip shield so it ends up working out, but that is kind of precarious. We'll have to see how everything trends on the short term guidance this afternoon. Could be the difference between 1-3" of slop and 6-8" in the higher terrain.

The 3KM shows the crappy intensity pretty well.

Archived