Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's so lift dependent. You can see on the ptype maps.

Yeah GFS has putrid lift for most of the event in MA which is why the NH border/S VT area is where all the snow is on that run...shift it 25 miles south like on other guidance and it snows pretty good down to ORH area.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's actually parachutes here too. 

Get 1" into Jerry's hood it looks like...this is the type of event where if it can be sustained 30dbz for 3 hours, then someone even pretty close to BOS could get monster parachutes and pick up a quick 2 inches and then go back to drizzle/RA- when it lightens up. Should be interesting to see if that can happen....the guidance definitely isn't in very good agreement about it.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Get 1" into Jerry's hood it looks like...this is the type of event where if it can be sustained 30dbz for 3 hours, then someone even pretty close to BOS could get monster parachutes and pick up a quick 2 inches and then go back to drizzle/RA- when it lightens up. Should be interesting to see if that can happen....the guidance definitely isn't in very good agreement about it.

I'd feel better if I knew it was a deep layered omega bomb, but it looks like a mess. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

seems to be an East wind upslope in the ORH and Berks hills, seen those surprise before

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

seems to be an East wind upslope in the ORH and Berks hills, seen those surprise before

That could happen tomorrow actually...the column actually starts to resaturate a bit up to around H7 or just a hair below while the mid-levels cool off decently. So it wouldn't shock me if we had an east slope event for a time tomorrow while elsewhere its not doing as much or slightly too warm. The type of thing where weenie ridge could get 1-2" of paste during the day when the forecast was for just a few flakes and a high of 37....we'll have to watch it.

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

RAP looks very similar, should be a fun night for the elevation peeps and NE Mass S NH VT Spine

Latest HRRR snow map.  Getting better in ORH County and RT 2 corridor in general.

Its interestingly lowest in the places that are under Winter Storm Warnings right now.

hrrr_snow_neng_18.png

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That could happen tomorrow actually...the column actually starts to resaturate a bit up to around H7 or just a hair below while the mid-levels cool off decently. So it wouldn't shock me if we had an east slope event for a time tomorrow while elsewhere its not doing as much or slightly too warm. The type of thing where weenie ridge could get 1-2" of paste during the day when the forecast was for just a few flakes and a high of 37....we'll have to watch it.

WAWA day Hunchie, school will be cancelled, flakes flying new snow

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That holds true south of ORH too for tomorrow 

Not as much...easterly flow isn't as good south of ORH. Doesn't mean there would be zippo, but you want a place that has good upslope from east to west and the N ORH county ridge is exceptional for that (as far as hill terrain goes...obviously nothing like mountains up north). NW RI actually is probably the best spot S of ORH on that type of setup.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Not as much...easterly flow isn't as good south of ORH. Doesn't mean there would be zippo, but you want a place that has good upslope from east to west and the N ORH county ridge is exceptional for that (as far as hill terrain goes...obviously nothing like mountains up north).

He tries

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Not as much...easterly flow isn't as good south of ORH. Doesn't mean there would be zippo, but you want a place that has good upslope from east to west and the N ORH county ridge is exceptional for that (as far as hill terrain goes...obviously nothing like mountains up north). NW RI actually is probably the best spot S of ORH on that type of setup.

lol dreams crushed.  Whenever easterly flow upslope in ORH Hills is mentioned there's usually an attempt to group in areas south of that, that tends to get stomped out pretty quickly.

28 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

HRRR has a 6 pack right over Eyeore Jr's head

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

WAWA day Hunchie, school will be cancelled, flakes flying new snow

Meh.   They might cancel out this way but I work east and lower...

its funny, because the previous HRRR I was looking at looked pretty lame

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Meh.   They might cancel out this way but I work east and lower...

its funny, because the previous HRRR I was looking at looked pretty lame

I'm looking at it as anything 2"+ is a win in a time frame that could've easily been 45F and an inch of rain.

Wintery appeal Hunchie.  Don't go looking for 12" of cake.  Just take a nice winter wonderland look and run with it.

Just now, powderfreak said:

I'm looking at it as anything 2"+ is a win in a time frame that could've easily been 45F and an inch of rain.

Wintery appeal Hunchie.  Don't go looking for 12" of cake.  Just take a nice winter wonderland look and run with it.

Indeed.  2" is nice.   But I don't have visions of 6-8" dancing in my head anymore

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol dreams crushed.  Whenever easterly flow upslope in ORH Hills is mentioned there's usually an attempt to group in areas south of that, that tends to get stomped out pretty quickly.

The only one that ever does that is you and sometimes Scooter.

The March firehose storm says otherwise 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Indeed.  2" is nice.   But I don't have visions of 6-8" dancing in my head anymore

If I put a gun to my head I think you'll find 4.5" of paste tomorrow and wake up with snow stuck to every little twig.  And you'll be like wow, this looks pretty awesome out.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The only one that ever does that is you and sometimes Scooter.

The March firehose storm says otherwise 

March firehose storm was more of a standing wave down there rather than upslope...otherwise NW RI would have been in the meat of it too and they were relatively screwed (though not nearly as bad as just SE of them)

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Me?  I didn't say anything.  Seemed like you missed Will's post.  Maybe he can clarify.

It's not even a big deal anyway...there might be nothing tomorrow too...some guidance had the signal though. It's not like there's this great setup for 4" of mesoscale snow tomorrow alone on the east slope of N ORH county...it was more like "maybe there could be some surprisingly consistent light snow". But no way it's a lock. We'll get through tonight first.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

March firehose storm was more of a standing wave down there rather than upslope...otherwise NW RI would have been in the meat of it too and they were relatively screwed (though not nearly as bad as just SE of them)

It's also warmer down there tomorrow. Maybe he can get drizzle.

Archived