joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 17/18 Paste Job

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we didn't have to depend on wetbulbkng for snow in the borderline zones, this would be a lock. It's never good to depend on wet bulbing your way to snow in marginal areas. IOW, -4 at 850 to start is much more dependable then needing wetbulbing to bring you to -4C at 850 for snow when your temps are near 40 at the surface. It's a tough call near the 495 area. If they had 4-5" of paste or white rain...I would not be surprised either way. If nrn MA can grab onto sustained lift where radar is those nice deep greens of 30Dbz or better...you have shot at pulling off some paste. I know will said it earlier, but you do not want that fractured banded look to radar. 

43 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If we didn't have to depend on wetbulbkng for snow in the borderline zones, this would be a lock. It's never good to depend on wet bulbing your way to snow in marginal areas. IOW, -4 at 850 to start is much more dependable then needing wetbulbing to bring you to -4C at 850 for snow when your temps are near 40 at the surface. It's a tough call near the 495 area. If they had 4-5" of paste or white rain...I would not be surprised either way. If nrn MA can grab onto sustained lift where radar is those nice deep greens of 30Dbz or better...you have shot at pulling off some paste. I know will said it earlier, but you do not want that fractured banded look to radar. 

Definitely a tough call in that area. Hrrr has been actually cooling a bit along that corridor over the past couple runs. It keeps regenerating lift keeping things snow a bit longer

6 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Definitely a tough call in that area. Hrrr has been actually cooling a bit along that corridor over the past couple runs. It keeps regenerating lift keeping things snow a bit longer

The wildcard to me is what happens between about 06z and 15z tomorrow...there's signs on some guidance that we get decent lift regenerating as the low intensifies to our south and the lower mid-levels start to respond...other guidance has it more fractured and showery...like the NAM especially. If that happens, then probably no more than about 1-3" of paste...maybe 3-4 up near Wachusett or something....but if we get some decent lift regenerating like on some guidance, then I could see several additional inches of accumulation...and it would probably help out that area in NE MA lower down in elevation too and up into SE NH.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The wildcard to me is what happens between about 06z and 15z tomorrow...there's signs on some guidance that we get decent lift regenerating as the low intensifies to our south and the lower mid-levels start to respond...other guidance has it more fractured and showery...like the NAM especially. If that happens, then probably no more than about 1-3" of paste...maybe 3-4 up near Wachusett or something....but if we get some decent lift regenerating like on some guidance, then I could see several additional inches of accumulation...and it would probably help out that area in NE MA lower down in elevation too and up into SE NH.

GFS has a weird subby zone near the DGZ later on as winds back and then veer with height again. But even so, I wonder if the column below 800 is enough to generate light lift with snow (albeit crappy flakes) with esrly upslope through 850mb. There is that warm tongue near 850, but seems to cool ever so slightly. This probably would be better in WaWa land.

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep agree - been a couple this year with a similarly tough call along the same corridor

Archived