Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

6 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Yeah, I agree. The quasi-dryslot kinda sucked, but the afternoon was amazing where I'm at. I think reading some of the handwringing about it on here made it seem like everything was going to hell but I saw what was yet to  come on radar. 

I was sweating bullets during the dry slot. Then the band slowly pulled east and crushed my yard with another 7" in a short time. I ended up with 22". The next day was beautiful. Then we torched lol

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

I was sweating bullets during the dry slot. Then the band slowly pulled east and crushed my yard with another 7" in a short time. I ended up with 22". The next day was beautiful. Then we torched lol

Sounds similar to what I got here in the immediate northwest suburbs of DC.  I measured 17" at around 8AM, then got about 2" of light snow over the next several hours being on the edge of the "dry-slot".  Then, starting around 2PM, got 5" over the next 5 hours with whiteout conditions most of that time.  Ended up with 24" here, as best as I could measure in those conditions.  A mere several miles to my north and west, they got 30"-plus...I was remarkably oh-so close to that!

While the DC area was suffering that dry slot on the morning of 1/23/16, I was under that ridiculous band that set up over I-81 for six hours and never let up.  Its the everlasting memory I will take from what was the largest snowfall I have ever experienced:

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/topic/47714-january-2223-2016-images-archive-thread/?do=findComment&comment=3928895

I would like to think that as a region, we had matured and don't need 500 whiny posts about how bad winter is when everyone knows the pattern sucks and snow chances are slim to none for a time.

But I'm sure that will get dispelled soon enough.  The maturity part, that is.

6 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

huh?

Just goofing about the unknown. Appreciate all of your efforts and discussions. I  do recall Wes saying the MJO during phase 3-6 I believe are less favorable for us...seems like that is where it will be during February....but I defer because I'm really just a smart ass ;)

1 hour ago, leesburg 04 said:

Just goofing about the unknown. Appreciate all of your efforts and discussions. I  do recall Wes saying the MJO during phase 3-6 I believe are less favorable for us...seems like that is where it will be during February....but I defer because I'm really just a smart ass ;)

Looks like it goes strong into phase 1 and 2 then dies into the COD after.  Then maybe if we get another wave later Feb into better phases we could reload, if not as the effects fade we better be able to hand things off to the AO/NAO or it will go zonal.  The base state without favorable forcing from the MJO is not a good one this year.  I kind of highlighted my thinking in the other thread.  Thank you for the kind words.  

7 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I would give my left nut for February 07 sleet storm repeat

It's in the day 11 analogs. That was a great event that I didn't appreciate at the time. I think because it trended worse here and was a 20" snowstorm a few days out that morphed into about 3-4" of snow then 4" of sleet but I would love me sum of dat right now. 

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

It's in the day 11 analogs. That was a great event that I didn't appreciate at the time. I think because it trended worse here and was a 20" snowstorm a few days out that morphed into about 3-4" of snow then 4" of sleet but I would love me sum of dat right now. 

That stuff was so solid I'm pretty sure there is still some left in shady spots

Archived