Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Banter Thread

H2O

11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I don't know about the "much of the region"  Remember for the entire Baltimore metro is was a 12" plus and in many areas 18" plus storm.  For DC it pretty much split the metro in half with a line from DCA to Leesburg northeast getting 10" plus and amounts decreasing fast southwest of that line.   I would guess about 70% of the population of this forum got 10" plus from that storm.  But yes it did suck if you were southwest of that line.

Feb10.1.jpg

We too easily forgot that there are folks who live south of about a Culpeper/Quantico line, as well as west of Culpeper/Winchester out into the I-81 region in VA. Maryland got smashed by, without a doubt. I'm not trying to downplay the storm at all - just saying that it didn't have a HECSy impact on a lot of this forum's real estate. My backyard barely tickled 10"...which is nothing to sneeze at in any normal year, of course!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Amazes me to see people tripping over themselves to move 2009/10 winter lower on lists for favorite winters etc. I can't get beyond 3 HECS and a surprise half foot storm along with early December snow totaling 70+ inches area wide being anything but the best.

Also, rainy.

This winter blows.

I don't compare them apples to apples. They were both very strong but on different metrics. 09-10 is the big storm king. There is no refuting that. 13-14 was winter season king. Nearly triple climo for all, 4 months of winter weather, ridiculous # of events, enough bitter cold making ponds and the canal safely skateable for an extended period, and the extent of the bay ice was very impressive. 09-10 didn't have those features. 

Who cares who chooses their #1 fave. They were both remarkable seasons of fairly epic proportions and choosing one of the other is just personal tatse on what makes a great winter. The ultimate winter would be a combination 13-14 cold and duration + 09-10 storms. The mic could be dropped and the discussion permanently put to bed. 

2 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I don't compare them apples to apples. They were both very strong but on different metrics. 09-10 is the big storm king. There is no refuting that. 13-14 was winter season king. Nearly triple climo for all, 4 months of winter weather, ridiculous # of events, enough bitter cold making ponds and the canal safely skateable for an extended period, and the extent of the bay ice was very impressive. 09-10 didn't have those features. 

Who cares who chooses their #1 fave. They were both remarkable seasons of fairly epic proportions and choosing one of the other is just personal tatse on what makes a great winter. The ultimate winter would be a combination 13-14 cold and duration + 09-10 storms. The mic could be dropped and the discussion permanently put to bed. 

I bumped the total thread from '13/'14. Always good to look back in these kinds of discussions, and this is, as always, a "how much for my backyard" discussion. I was in northeast balt city then (didn't move what has turned out to be a very helpful six miles west to north balt city until 2015), and I was at 45 inches for that winter, while you were at 55 inches (my March "bonus" snow was 10 inches, you had 18 I think at quick glance). I am not a huge fan of late season snow, and absolutely cop to being a big storm hunter. Last year's blizzard redeemed winter for me. The early Feb. storm in '13/'14 was nice but pales in comparison in my view, actually, and 30 less inches for season, padded with March snows, just not close to a '09/'10 for me. I do think that because we were so fallow in terms of snowfall in '11/'12 and '12/'13 that '13/'14 felt amazing by comparison, which adds to the fondness for people.

Still, '09/'10 by a mile for this guy.

1 hour ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

Since we're arguing about best winters and favorites..... 09/10 and 13/14 can each sit their asses down in the back seat.  95/96 will always be KING out here.

Yeah, 95/96 can't be beat even down in swva where I was at the time.  We had snow days for 6 months, Nov through April.

76-77 would be #2.  I don't think it was a good snow winter here, but there, it was a 3-6" snow about every 3 or 4 days and bitter cold.

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

i couldn't log in this morning. i figured the board was down. haven't tried since. 

There is definitely an issue with the Tapatalk interaction with the AmWx forums.  I can't get any of the forums to load but the website for AmWx is fine.  By the looks of what I read on the look-ahead thread, there is no rush to fix it for 2 weeks or so I suppose!  :unsure:    Anyway thanks for letting me know it is not just me.

If the rest of the winter sucks and fails to produce another flake, at least I got one call right in the snowfall prediction thread. I said there would be a southern slider that would hit NC, C and E VA and the beaches.

Decision to road trip to Rehoboth paid off. Had a great time.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

One good thing about this winter sucking is that we don't have to fight about lame winter storm names.

True, but we could fight about lame names for winter fail events.  With as many as we can get in this area, we'd probably make it into the Greek alphabet! :D

And hey, only 5 more days until the anniversary of winter storm Jonas...errr...the Blizzard of January 2016!

3 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

True, but we could fight about lame names for winter fail events.  With as many as we can get in this area, we'd probably make it into the Greek alphabet! :D

And hey, only 5 more days until the anniversary of winter storm Jonas...errr...the Blizzard of January 2016!

IMG_0252.JPGIMG_0253.JPGIMG_0254.JPG

Watching this half-hour nugget tonight with a martini (is it a submission for an Emmy?).... good times. 

As much as I love this board, now watching this, I think I should have stayed off the board more that Saturday. It was the obsession about the dry slot that got me stressed. I didn't even realize what was happening on I-270 until the next day. Watching the news coverage would have probably made me more in awe of what was happening. 

2016 blizzard was awesome - I live for the big ones and that storm did not disappoint.  we really have had quite a few  big ones lately but i never cease to be amazed when we hit the hecs levels.  The bar for hecs continues to get higher - we have had some nice snowstorms drop out of the top 10 in the last 7 years.

48 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Watching this half-hour nugget tonight with a martini (is it a submission for an Emmy?).... good times. 

As much as I love this board, now watching this, I think I should have stayed off the board more that Saturday. It was the obsession about the dry slot that got me stressed. I didn't even realize what was happening on I-270 until the next day. Watching the news coverage would have probably made me more in awe of what was happening. 

Yeah, I agree. The quasi-dryslot kinda sucked, but the afternoon was amazing where I'm at. I think reading some of the handwringing about it on here made it seem like everything was going to hell but I saw what was yet to  come on radar. 

Archived