• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Storm 1/6 - 1/8, 2017

2 minutes ago, franklin NCwx said:

I thought we came into better agreement with the 0z and 6z runs. There is still some spread but confidence is growing for an event this weekend.  I'm leaning starting to lean away from a system that cuts too far north.

I would lean toward this eventually climbing north, but would love to be wrong....we are connecting on all of our best gadget plays too early in the game  :)

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, griteater said:

Some of these latest GFS and GFS Para runs are ideal, what we've been looking for in terms of the timing of the northern stream clearing, then the Pac wave following right behind...that puts the good damming signature in place out front....then you have the amped GFS runs that pull everything north much warmer than ideal

yeah these gfs runs are essentially the perfect scenario for a lot of us......which means of course it's likely wrong lol. But seriously, even though it's a long ways off it's hard to look at that and not think...wow...if it's even close to what it's showing, it is a big winter storm for pretty much everybody. Not as unusual for the carolinas but  It would be a colder than average  storm too for georgia at least..with temps likely stuck in the mid 20s for the duration of the event in the north, upper 20s/near 30 in central ga with temps even below freezing for a while in south ga sat morning. Pretty impressive for the gfs, especially considering it's past performance with wedges. Would really be nice to see some consistency and agreement with the other models. 

9 minutes ago, griteater said:

I would lean toward this eventually climbing north, but would love to be wrong....we are connecting on all of our best gadget plays too early in the game  :)

I know right...we lost the Greenland block, we have that first wave that does pop a low and races past 50/50.  The ridging in the west needs to stay or get a little better and we have to hope for a weaker wave with the confluence from all the HP funneling in to keep it south. 

1 minute ago, NoSnowATL said:

Local Mets won't even hint about a storm. They kill the fun. Saying maybe a few flurries mix with rain. I guess they can't hype it. I get it. 

No way should they should be hyping it considering how far it's away and how much the models are flopping around. 

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

No way should they should be hyping it considering how far it's away and how much the models are flopping around. 

I Get it, I just wish they would prepare people that don't watch WX like we do. I know it will change 109x before Friday. Even if it is a big one they always seem ho hum. Just saying...

These big snowstorms are nice to see for sure.  I wish we would see mostly suppressed solutions until Wednesday or Thursday.  Having these perfect tracks showing up more frequently 5-6 days out is a recipe for a SNE snowstorm.  Without a Greenland block or strong -NAO via ridging into eastern Canada, it's really, really, really difficult to keep these systems suppressed all the way through.  Things look good for this time being different, but we are going to need to see this thing suppressed for a couple more days on the better models, IMO.

We will have a good idea by 72 hours if that 0z GFS option is happening.  If you look at the para, which also had a more northerly track with its 0z run...the ull needs some interaction with trough digging down to help drag it south, the 0z GFS and para both had more seperation.  Euro drags it along and weakens it quite a bit.  The GFS big dog runs all drag it and then let it go and it travels right behind.  Talk about timing things perfectly.  

IMG_3836.PNG

IMG_3837.PNG

29 minutes ago, griteater said:

I counted roughly 12 members that were SE centered hits, with 14 as MA centered hits....the rest were weak or an equal hit for both areas

I thumbed trough the odd EPS members and didn't see one that tracked up into KY.  We had several 35F rainers where it wave riding the front and the front hadn't sagged far enough south.  I was wondering why the snow mean on WB wasn't higher as the qpf mean was like the GEFS.   

7 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We will have a good idea by 72 hours if that 0z GFS option is happening.  If you look at the para, which also had a more northerly track with its 0z run...the ull needs some interaction with trough digging down to help drag it south, the 0z GFS and para both had more seperation.  Euro drags it along and weakens it quite a bit.  The GFS big dog runs all drag it and then let it go and it travels right behind.  Talk about timing things perfectly.  

Nice work Pack.  Thing is, we could get the perfect timing with the waves, but 4 days from now, the entire height pattern could simply be shifted a little north, so it's still too warm.  It's common for these northern stream arctic presses to not track as far south as modeled out in time....oh well, enough pessimism

The 12Z NAM was very weak with the first disturbance.  If that is a trend then and the 12Z GFS follows then you can be sure the 2nd system is going to come in well north, or it should.  This was just stated well by psuhoffman in the MA forum.  The first storm likely has to be strong for the SE to get wintry precip on the 2nd.

Hey guys. Happy New Years to everyone. Haven't been on since last year, however have been keeping up with posts etc.. Just wanted to throw a friendly hello in before I start commenting myself on this impending storm. 75 hour frame looks as though the northern stream may want to dig a little more comparing the 75 12Z panel to the 81 hour 06Z panel.

31 minutes ago, packbacker said:

IMG_3836.PNG

IMG_3837.PNG

To compare.  Kind of in between the 0z and 6z para.  

IMG_3838.PNG

Archived