joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Term Discussion 2017

buckeyefan1

• Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Models continue to look good in the LR for a general trough in the east.  The pattern gets a little muted toward the end, but it doesn't look like it's ready to break down or radically shift.  Will probably be tracking additional threats, from clippers to overrunnigs to Miller Bs, over the next couple of weeks.  One thing I do not see that I would like to see is consistently progged High Pressure over the northern tier.  The eye of the needle is going to be pretty tight until that changes.  Otherwise, at least it's fun to get off to a fast start this winter, for a change.

1 hour ago, WarmNose said:

More interested in this time frame and the week after. My main concern is all the energy coming out of the north down through the Great Lakes and the Dakotas. Need a bomb in the gulf and a HP to the north

image.png

Really need the snow cover to our north to greatly expand. A decent snow cover to the northeast will help greatly and to a less extent we really need the snow cover to expand south from the canadian border to help keep the cold air from modifying so much. All the bare ground we currently have to our north is doing us no favors 

Going to be a long 2 weeks as the pattern begins to reset/breakdown around D10. Those of us missing out on the snow now will have to hope for something late December to early January to pop up. Until then it looks like clippers to our north and the return of the SE ridge around D10-15.

3 hours ago, snowlover91 said:

Going to be a long 2 weeks as the pattern begins to reset/breakdown around D10. Those of us missing out on the snow now will have to hope for something late December to early January to pop up. Until then it looks like clippers to our north and the return of the SE ridge around D10-15.

Maybe this will be the winter where a change to a warm pattern keeps getting pushed back in time, instead of the usual opposite.

12 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Maybe this will be the winter where a change to a warm pattern keeps getting pushed back in time, instead of the usual opposite.

Probably not.. With this being a Nina and current indices around moderate range it favors a warm winter especially after January 15th. The window we have is extremely narrow if it follows typical Nina climo and the EPS along with the GEFS both agree around D10 we flip to a SE ridge and much warmer temperatures. It may be temporary/reloading though, it's just hard to tell right now.

3 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I sure hope not.  I am sick and tired of the warm Christmases.  I still haven't recovered from Christmas 2015.

I just noticed that the 6Z GFS posted by Snovary a few posts back showed an impressive cold shot for 12/24.  Did the model flip that much in two runs?

well i was left with nothing but a cold rain special... I swear ill move out west one of these days, but i'm happy for anybody who gets snow in the south. We central nc folks will get ours! I'm just glad it wasnt mid jan with this one like last winter... 

anyways the gfs ensembles give up little hope for the future as we enter a fairly cold and dry period until maybe the 15 or 16

still have some good cold hanging around as well, i like this time frame for another climo favored snow storm. you know what that means for us centrals :(

but dont sweat it guys still have a lot of winter to go 

gfs-ens_apcpn24_us_25.png

gfs-ens_T850a_us_29.png

Archived