Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

26 minutes ago, andyhb said:

EPS consensus is overwhelmingly for a fish at this point. If the storm does start moving north now, that seems like a very prudent outcome.

Wasn't the EPS overwhelmingly for a weaker system to slide much further west to over western Cuba and the GOM just a couple days ago?

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this question about initialization misses the point that model evolution will be determined mainly by upper features and so if the 500-mb reflection of the hurricane is accurate, the surface errors may be irrelevant except in the first 48 hours possibly. This would probably be true more often when the errors are close to the equator (where the 500 mb anomaly might be more significant). 

Another point of interest, I have always believed that second-order wobbles in tropical system tracks are due to tidal forces between the moon and Sun. Today, the moon is following the Sun west (relative to points on the earth's surface) by about one hour since new moon was at 0011z. At the latitude of Matthew's core, the Sun was almost overhead at 18z and the Moon was somewhat further south at transit at about 19z. Tomorrow, if you want to check the wobble potential, the Moon will move over the hurricane around 2 hours after the Sun and will be relatively further south in its transit.

If the storm is moving northwest at that point, this sequence should slow its forward motion and perhaps induce a brief jog east then west between 18z and 00z although without a loop. The research I am doing on this establishes an upper limit of 1.5 deg of lat or long to the second-order lunar signals. Larger and slower loops are probably not related to this interaction but are responses to steering environments. 

7 minutes ago, irishbri74 said:

Check out H5

Yeah track wise same as 12z to NC, but looks like the trough might more fully phase and pull it truly inland into the Mid Atlantic this time.

Edit: Didn't quite catch it for Mid-Atlantic, but it was closer. New England would still have to worry.

BULLETIN
HURRICANE MATTHEW INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER  15A
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL       AL142016
800 PM EDT SAT OCT 01 2016

...POWERFUL HURRICANE MATTHEW BARELY MOVING...

SUMMARY OF 800 PM EDT...0000 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...13.5N 73.4W
ABOUT 360 MI...580 KM SSW OF PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
ABOUT 385 MI...620 KM SE OF KINGSTON JAMAICA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...150 MPH...240 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...STATIONARY
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...940 MB...27.76 INCHES

4 minutes ago, Rjay said:

ERC beginning?  The eyewall has looked like crap ok microwave imagery most of the day. I think I might be seeing a concentric eyewall starting to form

last24hrs.gif

Definitely looks like the feeder band is starting to wrap around the eyewall as a second eyewall.. 

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived