Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Joe4alb said:

There's your big difference. That little low pressure currently to the NE of Matthew pinwheels around and creates a pathway for Matthew much further NE than the GFS depicts. It isn;t until those two phase that the system finally jogs NW, well N of the area

CM.jpg

Doesn't the CMC tend to go a little overboard with popping lows all over the place and over intensifying them?

Either the GFS is on to something and its leading the pack in regards to the evolution of that lp or its doing horribly and will end up following the pack and be the last one to run the ots solution.

6 minutes ago, downeastnc said:

CMC fishes it though hard, has the LP NE of the Bahamas and follows it right on OTS....

Looks like a lowering of pressure to the NE of Mathew when it's off the coast of FL caused a slight adjustment to the East, hence causing the missed phase and pull towards CONUS. All models with the exception of the 12z cmc and euro have phased the system. Almost a complete opposite of what happened with sandy. But the euro is still higher resolution and might be over-amplifying the ULL. Should have more clarity within the next 72 hours. The GFS did slide towards the CMC and Euro though, the sharpening trough over central CONUS is what saved Mathew from being tugged from the ULL. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The GGEM is notorious for turning a large thunderstorm into a hurricane. Until some other guidance agrees with it, I'd completely toss it.

I have to agree. The issue here is that the GFS solution is not relying that LP. In order for the CMC to be correct that LP has to not only maintain its strength but also its location and path, if it meanders NE of its projected path its effects will not be nearly as apparent on Matthew and thus Matthew will not be "pulled" NE as the CMC is indicating.

1 minute ago, Joe4alb said:

I have to agree. The issue here is that the GFS solution is not relying that LP. In order for the CMC to be correct that LP has to not only maintain its strength but also its location and path, if it meanders NE of its projected path its effects will not be nearly as apparent on Matthew and thus Matthew will not be "pulled" NE as the CMC is indicating.

Its not just the CMC though the Euro pretty much has the same low doing the same thing....reminds me a lot of Joaquin last year when the GFS went landfall and the Euro had that low tugging Joaquin NE from the Bahamas.....guess we will see what the Euro does here in a hr....

1 minute ago, Bacon Strips said:

agreed, but it's movement is being weird.  

looks like it just did a llittle loop during the last 7 hours.  barely moved.

Its called a trochoidal wobble...those generally happen when the convection is imbalanced, due to wind shear or an eyewall replacement cycle. 

As a near layman, what was poor about this initialization and what repercussions does it have for the rest of the run?

Look at the wind field and how elongated it is. Supposedly the incredibly complex equations within the model will correct it (as they did by hour 6) but overall the storm would probably be a bit weaker

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived