joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basing off the vector from the most recent recon fixes, it is going to be a very close call for cape canaveral later this morning. Something near to or slightly under 100kts sustained should be expected (barring some unforeseen strengthening/weakening.)

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I seem to recall a bunch of reporting stations by the Cape yet I see none reporting now.  I wonder if they are all usually manned stations and don't have an ASOS. 

FWIW, this buoy will be very near, if not in, the center later this morning. Should be interesting to watch. http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=41009

2 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

Basing off the vector from the most recent recon fixes, it is going to be a very close call for cape canaveral later this morning. Something near to or slightly under 100kts sustained should be expected (barring some unforeseen strengthening/weakening.)

Yeah, Cape Canaveral may just take a landfall after all. I might be eating crow. Hopefully not. Curious how the eyewall is definitely reorganizing too. Maybe that makes the max winds less, but spreads them over a larger area. That area, down towards Merritt Island and Cocoa Beach should have cat 1 conditions at least.

The fact that the Eye wall replacement cycle appears to be finally "completing" is very concerning for a few reasons. 1. The wind field, especially the hurricane force wind field will expand even further, 2. It will still be over very warm water long enough to possibly restrengthen some... Even if this isn't in the form of stronger cat 4 winds, but just an expansion of the radius of the strongest cat 4 winds, it is just as concerning. 3. A larger wind field means the storm surge impacts further down the coast (especially along the particularly susceptible portions in N FL/ S G) will be even more significant as strong easterly winds will be pushing water along the coast for even longer.

It is prudent to remember that this is still likely a once in a lifetime (or even worse) type storm surge for portions of northern Florida and Southern Georgia. 

For folks trying to access NOAA and NCEP products and websites:

SENIOR DUTY METEOROLOGIST NWS ADMINISTRATIVE MESSAGE NWS NCEP CENTRAL OPERATIONS COLLEGE PARK MD 0408Z FRI OCT 07 2016 NCEP WEBSITE CONNECTIVITY UPDATE... PROBLEMS IN ACCESSING NCEP WEBSITES HAVE BEEN TRACED TO A TECHNICAL ISSUE AT THE WOC. WOC/NCO SUPPORT HAS BEEN NOTIFIED AND ARE TROUBLESHOOTING THE ISSUE...ETA IS UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME. SDM/NCO/NCEP

4 minutes ago, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

Chances goes way up if it can complete the EWR. 

IEW continues to more or less troll the OEW. Just when I thought they were going to "merge"... Its getting close though. Definitely is developing a new center right now.

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived