Newest Member
    joxey
PTC Matthew

PaEasternWX

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Master of Disaster said:

Don't forget during a public health emergency they can absolutely force you from your home. They can also force you to stay there. Remember the H5N1 case in the county with the ferrett a few years ago. That poor dude was quarantined in his home for 11 days. ;) The only time I am aware of that it can happen. 

From a first responders point, it means: "You are strongly encouraged to leave. By law, we cannot force you to leave. However, if you have a problem, we probably won't be able, and most likely won't come back and help you. You're on your own!" I am paraphrasing of course.

As far as I know, the last hurricane to make landfall anywhere close to where Matthew is expected to come onshore was Frances 2004, and at nowhere the same intensity. The last time a major hit the East coast was Andrew, since Wilma technically made landfall on the SW side of FL.

3 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

As far as I know, the last hurricane to make landfall anywhere close to where Matthew is expected to come onshore was Frances 2004, and at nowhere the same intensity. The last time a major hit the East coast was Andrew, since Wilma technically made landfall on the SW side of FL.

You're forgetting about Jeanne in almost the identical spot as Frances later that season. 

4 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

There have been plenty of big historical hurricanes in this region.  Okechobee Hurricane of '28 made landfall in Palm Beach County (at 929mb!) and turned north just inland; Sea Islands Hurricane of 1893 grazed the E coast of FL and made landfall in GA.

5 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

Even Charley at cat 1 strength did tremendous damage in the volusia Flagler areas.  Jeanne and Frances although a hundred miles south caused weeks of power outages and damage up and down the coast.  

So many homes had roofs ripped off and were still under construction that winter from the trio of storms.  

My friend says locals in Daytona are taking this seriously and they're getting off a1a and everything is now boarded up.  

Just now, gymengineer said:

You're forgetting about Jeanne in almost the identical spot as Frances later that season. 

Both of those basically crossed the state, and largely were rural (not completely as they collectively did put me without power in internal north central FL for a total of 10 days) - neither came up the coast like the 5:00 PM is suggesting. A whole different ball game ...

10 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

A good search tool for historical hurricanes: https://coast.noaa.gov/hurricanes/

2 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Both of those basically crossed the state, and largely were rural (not completely as they collectively did put me without power in internal north central FL for a total of 10 days) - neither came up the coast like the 5:00 PM is suggesting. A whole different ball game ...

I believe the poster I replied to was also discussing any major hurricane east coast FL landfall, hence the mention of Andrew (which of course wouldn't be relevant to a S-to-N running track).

19 minutes ago, Derecho! said:

If I am NHC, the EPS makes me nervous the hurricane warning doesn't extend far enough south. There are multiple members with landfalls in the TS warning area it looks like. 

Yeah, I'm a little surprised Miami-Dade hasn't been upgraded to a Hurricane Warning.  It's right there on the edge of the NHC's cone of uncertainty.

Looks like Tropical Storm Watches have been hoisted for Florida's west coast now, as well.

2 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

I believe the poster I replied to was also discussing any major hurricane east coast FL landfall, hence the mention of Andrew (which of course wouldn't be relevant to a S-to-N running track).

No banter and no disagreement. This is, however, a new ball game.

3 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

Do you have any good reading on vortex Rossby-waves? Looks like the scale on that blow up is around 40-50nm width; what info I found indicated they are generally 10km width?

Well, they tend to propagate outward over time. It's pretty technical, but here's an article: http://www2.fiu.edu/~willough/VRW/vrw_synth.html

4 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

After looking at the models and the conditions ahead for Matthew, I think there's a very good chance that he gets to 160mph over night...with pressures in th 925 range.... and right now to me it looks like landfall south of Daytona Beach by 50 miles or so...

NOAA HH radar showed a large elliptical eye, bryan norcross was just saying that larger eyes generally prevent hurricanes from getting super strong, but that it could tighten up more and become "super strong" (presumably he's meaning high end cat 4/cat 5.) any merit to this at all?

9 minutes ago, LakeEffectKing said:

After looking at the models and the conditions ahead for Matthew, I think there's a very good chance that he gets to 160mph over night...with pressures in th 925 range.... and right now to me it looks like landfall south of Daytona Beach by 50 miles or so...

Are you thinking it actually makes landfall as a cat 5?

3 minutes ago, jojo762 said:

NOAA HH radar showed a large elliptical eye, bryan norcross was just saying that larger eyes generally prevent hurricanes from getting super strong, but that it could tighten up more and become "super strong" (presumably he's meaning high end cat 4/cat 5.) any merit to this at all?

Yes, however this is going to be April on. Where Matthew will be in basically perfect conditions... and it is at a low enough latitude where we typically see eyes are able to shrink....

• wxmx unpinned this topic

Archived