Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Dude this is awesome.  Peak foliage for Columbus Day weekend FTW.  A weenie in the making.

He was all about it. Loved the Gondola lol. That's all he wanted to go in on. He loved the caves at Loon too. The mtns always have that draw to them. Love it. You know it's good when cars are just pulling over on random area of 93 to take pics. Not the safest thing lol.

Peak has not arrived down here yet but it looks like its a stunning year.  Funny how some years are just okay and others are fantastic.  Glad the crowds are getting a great look.  Usually peak does not exactly coincide with Columbus Day weekend.  Only downside was it was cloudy today.  Maybe we can get some bright sunshine in my tomorrow.  That would only make the colors more vivid looking.

4 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Peak has not arrived down here yet but it looks like its a stunning year.  Funny how some years are just okay and others are fantastic.  Glad the crowds are getting a great look.  Usually peak does not exactly coincide with Columbus Day weekend.  Only downside was it was cloudy today.  Maybe we can get some bright sunshine in my tomorrow.  That would only make the colors more vivid looking.

It really is! Here is a much more natural process of this one from Stowe on Fri morning:

14608782_10103661322257759_4173330775084

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:15 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

I've never seen crowds on the Kang like we did today

One of the longest traffic jams I've ever been caught in was heading west on the Kanc, Columbus Day weekend 27-28 years ago.  Fortunately for us, we were in no hurry, it was about 75 with hazy sun, and we were west of the pass and merely put the car in neutral and coasted - for 2 hours to go 7 miles.  For the first mile we played leapfrog with a few pedestrians enjoying a nice walk.  Never saw the cause, but my guess is that the leaf-peeper lifts shut down at Loon and the exit crowd plus Lincoln outlets clotted the road.

Still vibrant colors here, with sugar maples peaking, but yesterday's little rain and today's wind have freed lots of leaves.

What's everyone's opinion on the effect (or lack thereof) of the drought on the timing and the color of this year's foliage? I often read that anomalous precipitation patterns such as very wet or very dry can be deleterious for the vividness of foliage, but it appears that the drought has not had that effect (in fact, potentially enhanced the color). As far as timing, while we've been running warm, the delay induced by that was probably negated by the dryness, so it appears - to me at least - that we're running fairly close to schedule so far.

9 minutes ago, Isotherm said:

What's everyone's opinion on the effect (or lack thereof) of the drought on the timing and the color of this year's foliage? I often read that anomalous precipitation patterns such as very wet or very dry can be deleterious for the vividness of foliage, but it appears that the drought has not had that effect (in fact, potentially enhanced the color). As far as timing, while we've been running warm, the delay induced by that was probably negated by the dryness, so it appears - to me at least - that we're running fairly close to schedule so far.

I think we are a little late up here, peak is maybe a week early. A lot of times Columbus Day weekend is a bit of a letdown for tourists. I will say that I thought the foliage would be a bit dull because of the dryness too but, as you've noted, it has been brilliant so far. 

On 10/8/2016 at 7:05 PM, CoastalWx said:

1D1C1E03-B879-4696-BC29-4F2DA22B52C4.jpg

18 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Pics from a few days ago, but the hills are really lighting up today, western slopes of the Greens especially. Probably peaking today and the next day or two.

FB_IMG_1475891725016.jpg

I love the angle of these shots, it's so much better than the boring "say cheese!" photo staring back at the camera with their back to the view.  My favorite photo of my sons taken many years ago now was a similar angle, from behind them as they were sitting on a step just talking, completely unaware I was taking their photo.  

NNE probably had the best combo overall. You had enough rain in the summer to not cause damage or browning of leaves. Then, you had the mild days and cool nights in September with plenty of sun. That will get the juices going to turn colors, likely a reason why the reds were so vivid this year. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

NNE probably had the best combo overall. You had enough rain in the summer to not cause damage or browning of leaves. Then, you had the mild days and cool nights in September with plenty of sun. That will get the juices going to turn colors, likely a reason why the reds were so vivid this year. 

Much more valid for the west half of NNE than for farther east.  My precip for June-Sept was the lowest of the 19 years I've lived here - 3rd lowest for met summer.  We had the sun, but not so much the cool nights; my first sub-40 morning came on 9/16, about 2 weeks later than average.  My conclusion is that after 40 years in forestry, I can claim no skill in predicting the vibrancy of fall colors, and I've not noted much skill in anyone else.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Much more valid for the west half of NNE than for farther east.  My precip for June-Sept was the lowest of the 19 years I've lived here - 3rd lowest for met summer.  We had the sun, but not so much the cool nights; my first sub-40 morning came on 9/16, about 2 weeks later than average.  My conclusion is that after 40 years in forestry, I can claim no skill in predicting the vibrancy of fall colors, and I've not noted much skill in anyone else.

I think there is some skill. In general you want the mild days and cool nights in September to get the colors going. It probably varies more locally when you have things like convection involved for local summer rains. We would have been in good standing here had it not been for such little rain. Even so, the colors are definitely lively in spots...probably those that have water tables higher compared to other areas. 

Archived