Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, alex said:

The recent rain really took a toll on foliage at Bretton Woods; lots of leaf drop and what's left is pretty dull. Franconia Notch is still in better shape, but it's mostly yellows and light oranges, not quite as stunning as Bretton Woods was just a week ago.

Yeah we've lost it at the ski resort...still residual oranges but at least 50% leaf drop.  In town from 700-1500ft elevations still very nice but past peak as well.  Leaves were just pouring off the trees this morning at home with the 25F temps.  

Had some freezing fog too, with frosty trees.  Leaves though we're just dropping by the second in the still calm air.  Sounded like it was raining.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah we've lost it at the ski resort...still residual oranges but at least 50% leaf drop.  In town from 700-1500ft elevations still very nice but past peak as well.  Leaves were just pouring off the trees this morning at home with the 25F temps.  

Had some freezing fog too, with frosty trees.  Leaves though we're just dropping by the second in the still calm air.  Sounded like it was raining.

It seems like Stowe and Bretton Woods have a remarkably similar climate... of course, you'll kick our a$$ in upslope, but I've been surprised by how much they track in terms of temps and sensible weather otherwise. Being on the other side of the Notch was a different world, and felt VERY different from Stowe (which has always been my holy great for NE climates, and continues to be)... 

26 minutes ago, alex said:

It seems like Stowe and Bretton Woods have a remarkably similar climate... of course, you'll kick our a$$ in upslope, but I've been surprised by how much they track in terms of temps and sensible weather otherwise. Being on the other side of the Notch was a different world, and felt VERY different from Stowe (which has always been my holy great for NE climates, and continues to be)... 

I really like your location.   You've got the radiational cooling from being 1500ft but in a hole, and I bet your upslope is pretty darn decent.

You win in any CAD situation...but yes I've found we are very similar in climates between Stowe and Bretton Woods.  Similar latitudes.  

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I really like your location.   You've got the radiational cooling from being 1500ft but in a hole, and I bet your upslope is pretty darn decent.

You win in any CAD situation...but yes I've found we are very similar in climates between Stowe and Bretton Woods.  Similar latitudes.  

CAD is not so great at Bretton Woods either; that's about the only time I've seen Bartlett fare better than Bretton Woods. A couple of years ago, when we had that awful Xmas rainstorm, we went up to the Mt Washington hotel for brunch; Bretton Woods had been WIPED, with ground showing in most places, while Bartlett still had a solid 6"+ cover. Of course, a few days later Bretton Woods had more than made up the difference in upslope, but CAD can definitely be problematic on this side of the notch, But yes, I love the new location - especially since this is where I'll be settling for hopefully many years, now that we're building the cabins!

Generally speaking, the oaks on the South Shore are of the Red and White variety. Both are perfect for the long planking necessary for ship-building which is why along the North River between Scituate and Hanover you see so much "young" growth amongst the oaks. The area was nearly de-forested in the 1800's for the making of world-class vessels.

There are very few Black Oaks in Southeastern Mass.

4 minutes ago, moonfancier said:

Generally speaking, the oaks on the South Shore are of the Red and White variety. Both are perfect for the long planking necessary for ship-building which is why along the North River between Scituate and Hanover you see so much "young" growth amongst the oaks. The area was nearly de-forested in the 1800's for the making of world-class vessels.

There are very few Black Oaks in Southeastern Mass.

You read my mind. I live right down the street from Weymouth Landing where they ship built and mowed down a lot of this area.  I have red and white, and I think one black here on my property.  There aren't many maples here in this part of town, unlike a bit further inland in S Weymouth and down Rt 3. The soil here is poor and very rocky as we are sort of an extension of the Blue Hills where the glaciers felt like taking a poop and dumping their load.

There are other varities of oaks that inhabit the Coastal Plain as indigenous species--Pin Oak being one of them. I, for one, have never seen a Black Oak and if you indeed have one take good care of it. They can become majestic--not unlike the Live Oaks that just took a huge hit from Matthew here in Savannah.

1 minute ago, moonfancier said:

There are other varities of oaks that inhabit the Coastal Plain as indigenous species--Pin Oak being one of them. I, for one, have never seen a Black Oak and if you indeed have one take good care of it. They can become majestic--not unlike the Live Oaks that just took a huge hit from Matthew here in Savannah.

I probably should double check.  It doesn't appear to be white or red. I'll take a look today.

In the northern part of its range, black oak is a relatively small tree, reaching a height of 20–25 m (66–82 ft) and a diameter of 90 cm (35 in), but it grows larger in the south and center of its range, where heights of up to 42 m (138 ft) are known. Black oak is well known to readily hybridize with other members of the red oak (Quercus sect. Lobatae) group of oaks being one parent in at least a dozen different named hybrids.[4]

220px-Bark_black_oak_8771.jpg

Detail of mature bark
Quercus velutina.jpg

220px-Quercus_velutina_leaves.jpg

Young leaves are densely pubescent.

The leaves of the black oak are alternately arranged on the twig and are 10–20 cm (3.9–7.9 in) long with 5–7 bristle tipped lobes separated by deep U-shaped notches. The upper surface of the leaf is a shiny deep green, the lower is yellowish-brown. There are also stellate hairs on the underside of the leaf that grow in clumps.[4]

The inner bark of the black oak contains a yellow pigment called quercitron, which was sold commercially in Europe until the 1940s.

Key Characteristics:

Sun leaves have very deep u-shaped sinuses.[4]

The buds are velvety and covered in white hair.[4]

The fruits or acorns of the black oak are medium-sized and broadly rounded.[5] The cap is large and covers almost half of the nut.[4]

Soil and topography

In southern New England, black oak grows on cool, moist soils. Elsewhere it occurs on warm, moist soils.

Sorry for the lengthy posting. Hope this helps with your ID. FYI Oaks throw great heat when burned in a wood stove.

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It has all of those and is not very tall as well, which is why I assumed black.  These trees also seem to take well to the rugged, wind blown area around here.

Coastal,  just beautiful around Newfound Lake today.  Still at peak.  Really great peak this year.   Took the drone up a few hours ago. 

I was out in the Berkshires today apple picking with the family. Color was wide ranging depending on elevation, type of trees, and wetlands and embankments/cliffs vs. heavy thick forest.  Wasn't able to take pics as I was driving with a car full of sometimes cranky and hungry kids but there was some areas of brilliance and  other areas that were all  turned but very drab and dull,  and some areas that were past peak, mainly in the highest terrain of Northern Berkshire county and in wetlands.  All in all solid color with a few splashes of spectacular.  I thought the best area was on Rt 8 and 23 from Becket to Blandford, once you drop down to Westfield in the Pioneer Valley the color went from  high or very near peak to just moderate in about a 10 mile stretch and is still in the moderate  range here in Enfield with some really nice maples and some turning oaks mixed with a moderate amount of remaining green.

7 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Coastal,  just beautiful around Newfound Lake today.  Still at peak.  Really great peak this year.   Took the drone up a few hours ago. 

I was there on Thursday. It was really beautiful. I always chuck a few as I drive by exit 19 for Brian and the a few more off of exit 23 towards the ridge lol. My brother-in-law's fiancé has property on the other side of the ridge in Bridgewater....the Pemi side.

Just wanted to give a report from my corner of the world - I'll try and grab some pictures this afternoon but we are doing pretty well in this corner of Connecticut.  Even the oak hillsides are getting in on the action to some degree but the maples are all in color now with some dropping most of their leaves.  I think within the next ten days that many of those will be bare and the oaks will be left.  I've been going back and forth between Somers in the valley and Stafford/Union the past few days and really enjoying the colors.  It's awesome being out in the woods and just listening to sound of leaves falling - a sure sign that winter is coming home.

I don't know if it's me, but pines are really dropping a lot of needles here too.  Maybe the timing is different but I have places where the needs are a pretty thick carpet of sorts.  Anyone else seeing that?

5 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Just wanted to give a report from my corner of the world - I'll try and grab some pictures this afternoon but we are doing pretty well in this corner of Connecticut.  Even the oak hillsides are getting in on the action to some degree but the maples are all in color now with some dropping most of their leaves.  I think within the next ten days that many of those will be bare and the oaks will be left.  I've been going back and forth between Somers in the valley and Stafford/Union the past few days and really enjoying the colors.  It's awesome being out in the woods and just listening to sound of leaves falling - a sure sign that winter is coming home.

I don't know if it's me, but pines are really dropping a lot of needles here too.  Maybe the timing is different but I have places where the needs are a pretty thick carpet of sorts.  Anyone else seeing that?

I have definitely noticed the pine needles dropping an awful as well. Might have to do with the dry conditions maybe?

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Certainly one of the duller seasons in NE Ct in recent years. There is some brighter color on trees that have access to deeper water source..but a ton of dull red, brown tinged and yellows this year

You say the same thing every year....lol.  It's always dull to you.  As a matter of fact, you're like the "Corn King" of Agawam that used to say that every dry year was the worst he had ever seen only with you, it's foliage.  Every year it's the dullest you've ever seen.  Pretty funny...

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

You say the same thing every year....lol.  It's always dull to you.  As a matter of fact, you're like the "Corn King" of Agawam that used to say that every dry year was the worst he had ever seen only with you, it's foliage.  Every year it's the dullest you've ever seen.  Pretty funny...

Please stop making things up. If you think it's bright and brilliant this year..then I don't know what to say

While there were a good amount of spots with very vibrant color this year in Vermont I can tell you there were also some that were very dull that i saw. One of those was the Waterbury Reservoir on the Little River side. Last year it was one of the more vibrant spots and this season is just never got off the ground there. 

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Please stop making things up. If you think it's bright and brilliant this year..then I don't know what to say

I never said it was bright and brilliant.  I just pointed out that every year you say it's dull.  It's predictable like you're shtick with using BDL in the summer and ORH in the winter.  No problem...just part of your MO.  It's funny!

I'm in the process of processing some 360 degree VR video files I took and people can judge for themselves.  There's good color in some areas, even past peak in others while a lot of the oak hillsides are just starting to turn while others have already.  Not the best but not the worst or dull.  I would say better than last year.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I never said it was bright and brilliant.  I just pointed out that every year you say it's dull.  It's predictable like you're shtick with using BDL in the summer and ORH in the winter.  No problem...just part of your MO.  It's funny!

I'm in the process of processing some 360 degree VR video files I took and people can judge for themselves.  There's good color in some areas, even past peak in others while a lot of the oak hillsides are just starting to turn while others have already.  Not the best but not the worst or dull.  I would say better than last year.

I agree with your general assessment there other than I think this year is our worst in at least the last 10 with the browns and dulls of some species that typically are vibrant

Archived