• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

Now that we are 10 days into September, I figured it would be appropriate to start a  fall foliage thread.  Will the drought create and overall faster and duller than normal season?  Will the AN August rains in portions of the region, along with some upcoming transient cool shots across the bow of what has been an will likely continue to be AN temperature regime be enough to spark some vibrant color ? Will the gypsy moth effect ruin the foliage in certain areas? I'm sure that as the first drought stressed trees and maples begin to turn color, and often a more duller and muted brown or orange, some will be throwing in the towel or claiming that all the leaves are changing when in reality we are still several weeks away from peak foliage.  Hopefully we manage to get some decent color out of what has a warm and dry year across this beautiful six state region.  

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://newengland.com/today/seasons/fall/2016-new-england-fall-foliage-forecast/

From the article:

It’s also important to note that the drought isn’t uniformly severe throughout the region, and that even moderate drought isn’t bad for fall foliage. Drought does usually condense the autumn season, shortening the time between when the colors come in and when the leaves fall. It also tends to bring the foliage in a bit early. But most importantly, drought conditions can also concentrate sugars in the leaves. Thus, if other autumn conditions turn favorable in upcoming weeks, the reds this year could be brief but bright.

Our last drought year, 2012, is a fine example of this. It turned out to be a great year for foliage, but the autumn weather was also ideally suited for bright colors in a drought year. A string of cool nights and bright sunny days came in early, and much of the region turned quickly and ahead of historical averages. We can hope that the weather this autumn will be as supportive. And while the long-range forecast for this fall is generally for above-normal temperatures, autumn weather in New England is always a rollercoaster, and a week of timely cool temperatures could certainly occur.

If cool temperatures fail to materialize, the best areas for foliage will align with areas with the most consistent rainfall this past year. These areas are generally in northern New England, so northern Vermont and the Maine mountains down to the Mid-Coast may be best bets this year. In this warmer scenario, in the areas of more severe drought the brightest and most consistent colors will be seen in river valleys, near lake shores and on north facing slopes.

In summary, the generally warm and dry conditions over the past year have set the stage for an early autumn. If cool weather emerges in a timely fashion, we could be in for a year of brief, intense, and bright colors. If the warm weather remains persistent into autumn, the best colors will be found in areas that have received the most consistent rainfall.

Foliage just starting to show hints of color up here in Central NH. As we await thought I would share this webcam picture.   My brother lives in Aspen Colorado so I watch the webcams out there.  The peaks around Aspen got their first dusting of snow last night.  Has melted off now.  There still is a bit of glaciated snow left from last season.  Foliage out there looks like it is peaking at the highest elevations.  I did not retouch this picture at all this is the webcam view right now.

Aspen.jpg

35 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Takes 2 to 3 years but they are coming down anyways 

I was under the impression it was the intense energy requirement of re-foliating in consecutive years that causes the eventual death of a tree within 2-3 years.  If yours didn't refoliate, my thinking was that it's already at that point.  So, I'm curious how that tree will look next year.

And hrm, that branching/bark doesn't really look like an oak... looks more like poplar/aspen.

9 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I was under the impression it was the intense energy requirement of re-foliating in consecutive years that causes the eventual death of a tree within 2-3 years.  If yours didn't refoliate, my thinking was that it's already at that point.  So, I'm curious how that tree will look next year.

And hrm, that branching/bark doesn't really look like an oak... looks more like poplar/aspen.

You are right I posted the wrong pic, you won't see the Oak next year but I will post a pic tonight

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:15 PM, powderfreak said:

We are getting some color up here...not a lot but its noticeable.

2L8A5864_edited-2-1.jpg

That looks a tiny bit ahead of what I saw yesterday on the hardwood ridges about 30 miles west of PQI.  Not much change on sugar maple except the occasional stressed limb, some bright red maples, and a general yellowish cast beginning to show.

Judging by pics I have of past years I think we are running behind schedule at the mountain. Peak on-hill I think is usually around October 1st, but I bet it'll be about a week later this year.

Hard to tell though as it changes so fast.  Today was noticeable in the color from even a couple days ago.  Those crisp nights made a big difference.

Judging by pics I have of past years I think we are running behind schedule at the mountain. Peak on-hill I think is usually around October 1st, but I bet it'll be about a week later this year.

Hard to tell though as it changes so fast.  Today was noticeable in the color from even a couple days ago.  Those crisp nights made a big difference.

Heading to white mountains this weekend and hoping for more foliage this year. Last year was nearly all green. Hoping the couple cold mornings you mentioned will help.

Archived