• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Fall Foliage Thread

CT Valley Snowman

I have definitely noticed the pine needles dropping an awful as well. Might have to do with the dry conditions maybe?

White pine needles only last two summers, with 95%+ falling during their 2nd autumn, such that only the current year's needles make it into winter.  Red pine and pitch pine carry most needles into a 3rd year, but still do a major shed in early fall.

Concerning "dull" colors, it must depend on location, or species composition (most oaks in the red oak group are rather dull, pin oak the exception among those usually found in New England.)  If someone had seen the foliage in the foothills 5-10 days ago (we're well past peak now) and referred to the colors as "dull", I'd refer him/her to an optometrist.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

seems like one of the longer and more protracted foliage Seasons I can recall, my area was probably peak around October 20th but the later turning trees and the larger oaks have seemed to take forever to completely change and for the leaves to come down and there's still some areas of nicer foliage especially across south coastal areas of Southern New England.

2 hours ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

seems like one of the longer and more protracted foliage Seasons I can recall, my area was probably peak around October 20th but the later turning trees and the larger oaks have seemed to take forever to completely change and for the leaves to come down and there's still some areas of nicer foliage especially across south coastal areas of Southern New England.

10-14 days late. Latest I ever recall here. Oak blizzards yesterday in the wind, but still tons to go

Think the torch Sept. and little rain has just prolonged the misery 

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 7:03 PM, kdxken said:

My woodpile.

woodpile.jpg

That's a mongo pile.  Do you sell firewood, or maybe live in a drafty old 12-room farmhouse heated only with fireplaces?  Hard to estimate cordage given the pic's perspective - what's in the frame looks like it could be 10 cords, or 20, or...   Most I ever put thru a stove in a heating season was 9 cords, in Ft. Kent and with an inefficient stove and no real air circulation system.  (Replaced the first, fixed the 2nd, and consumption dropped to 6 cd the next year and beyond.)

Archived