• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    David
    Newest Member
    David

WPAC, Indian Ocean, and Southern Hemisphere Tropical Cyclones

3 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

Yeah. I think he is all eyewall all the time. This is his scariest chase from an outside perspective. 

It will be interesting to see how difficult it will be for him to get out of that area once all is said and done. That part of Luzon is quite remote and the roads leading in and out of his location are limited. This may end up be a chase he later regrets. I hope that's not the case, but if the roads become blocked with debris and washed out in several locations, it could be quite a challenge. 

Just now, Tullioz said:

It will be interesting to see how difficult it will be for him to get out of that area once all is said and done. That part of Luzon is quite remote and the roads leading in and out of his location are limited. This may end up be a chase he later regrets. I hope that's not the case, but if the roads become blocked with debris and washed out in several locations, it could be quite a challenge. 

maybe he'll get flown out on a c-130 after haiyan if the roads are blocked.  he's pretty good at figuring it out and has more resources at his disposal now that he's filming for a show instead of freelancing.

13 minutes ago, the ghost of leroy said:

maybe he'll get flown out on a c-130 after haiyan if the roads are blocked.  he's pretty good at figuring it out and has more resources at his disposal now that he's filming for a show instead of freelancing.

There's a small airport about 15 miles south of him that will no doubt be used as a staging area, so that could be an option he can try again. Hopefully there will not be any washouts of the road between his current location and there. 

Typhoon Mangkhut, Cat 5 with 160 MPH wind sustained, wind gusts to 185 MPH

Some videos are starting to come in with the devastation, there are some local tornado-like effects in which roofs of buildings are torn off, debris flying hundreds of feet up in the air, cars and trucks lifted and flipped 

manghut2.jpg

He hasn’t posted anything on Twitter or Facebook for roughly seven hours. He said he was about to lose all connectivity and he was still well outside the eyewall. Probably one of his most dangerous chases ever given the remote location and intensity.

6 hours ago, PressureDrop2017 said:

Typhoon Mangkhut, Cat 5 with 160 MPH wind sustained, wind gusts to 185 MPH

Some videos are starting to come in with the devastation, there are some local tornado-like effects in which roofs of buildings are torn off, debris flying hundreds of feet up in the air, cars and trucks lifted and flipped 

manghut2.jpg

Those images are from Typhoon Haiyan. 

Partly true ... the top two turn out to be still photos from Haiyan which were included in a Philippine news report about Mangkhut 

The lower two actually are Mangkhut, they are screenshots from videos posted to social media 

Good observation 

There will be plenty of similar images unfortunately

3 hours ago, DCTeacherman said:

Anyone know what the sustained winds were when it hit Hong Kong? The videos are nuts. 

The highest I found from their observations at the airport is 60kt gusting to 84kt

VHHH 160500Z 07060G84KT 1100 0900W R07R/0400N R25L/0400N R07L/0375N R25R/0325N +SHRA FEW010 SCT025 27/24 Q0975 NOSIG

An issue for any vertical city is wind funneling. You may have 70 kt sustained at the airport, but in downtown with skyscrapers, off the bay, etc., wind will have greater effect and look more intense.

1 hour ago, Stebo said:

The highest I found from their observations at the airport is 60kt gusting to 84kt

VHHH 160500Z 07060G84KT 1100 0900W R07R/0400N R25L/0400N R07L/0375N R25R/0325N +SHRA FEW010 SCT025 27/24 Q0975 NOSIG

wow sure looks a lot faster on these videos, I guess funneling as @Windspeed mentioned.

• Like 1

Typhoon Trami, as viewed from the International Space Station (I think.) See twitter for animated image (very cool). Typhoon Trami effectively made landfall on Okinawa, Japan, and there are a lot of U.S. Military members there.

amzu5oh.jpg

Yowza! I probably over use maximum potential even if there are cases where the environment isn't perfect. But in Yutu's case, it is definitely maxing out. Almost looks as insane as Haiyan. Almost...

I am noticing a subtle bend back towards a more westward component in the extended loop. Not sure if that is merely short term, but hopefully that allows Yutu's intense core to miss Tinian/Saipan or any other population centers for that matter. b1acd4b163e9ae91fca76b98aae1c276.gif

39 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Yowza! I probably over use maximum potential even if there are cases where the environment isn't perfect. But in Yutu's case, it is definitely maxing out. Almost looks as insane as Haiyan. Almost...

I am noticing a subtle bend back towards a more westward component in the extended loop. Not sure if that is merely short term, but hopefully that allows Yutu's intense core to miss Tinian/Saipan or any other population centers for that matter. b1acd4b163e9ae91fca76b98aae1c276.gif

It would be nice for Saipan if this westward motion were to continue for a few hours as that would certainly spare them the core but if it "wobbles" back north much at all then they could get the eyewall. Gonna be a very close call for them.

Just an incredible looking storm right now.

• Like 1