Newest Member
    joxey
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Wouldn't worry about it.  Statistically speaking, the anomalies we saw in NNE and western SNE aren't likely to be repeated anytime soon (30-50% normal snow).  

Of course, for snowstorms stochastics can overcome statistics.  :lol:

Five least snowy winters at Farmington co-op:

1952-53....49.6"

2015-16....46.9"

1964-65....46.8"

1979-80....44.1"

1980-81...43.0"

This despite 79-80 including 4" in Oct, and 80-81 including a 12" storm in Nov, their largest Novie snow event in over 50 years.

Another tidbit of stochasticity:  Farmington's least snowy 12-month period (using only full-month totals) was Feb. 2006-Jan. 2007, when only 25.6" fell.  Then March 2007 began their snowiest 12 months, with 173.8" thru Feb. 2008.

12 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks like we may have peaked on the drought.  Looking pretty damp/wet this week and possibly into next.

Looks like 3+ days of -RA mank Friday into next week.  Hope it doesn't wind up like those 3 early July days when it rained just enough to keep everything wet while not recharging the water table at all.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Local rivers are back at it, setting record low flows for the date.  The Sandy is rocks with a trickle, and some near-stagnant pools.

...there's a brook that runs by my immediate neighborhood, about 250 meters down the street.   it's normally babbling with about 12" depth running and rolling over rocks and such.  in 2010, March, we had bible-buster rains that month; some 15" total fell over the course of that 30 days and during the third week the flood came.  that brook rose some 11' and began passing shallowly over the bridge... it filled the flood plain on the other side of main street, circled back at a low point and overtook the road ...cutting off a major artery to and fro the center of town.  

it's amazing to me that same geographical feature is down to at times ... not running at all.  there was a period of heat not to long ago and i happened by the bridge and the stones and dirt of areas amid the exposed river bed were actually visibly dry, with a couple of pools here and there.  it's since back to a very small amount of visible running water - kind of like the amount at the side of he road after a light summer rain.  

it would be interesting if Matthew and all it's watery glory were to unleash on the area, cause i'm curious how fast and hard we can go from this dearth to flood in that sucker. 

We have missed rain with precision in this area. What little rain we have received has underperformed and been barely enough to knock down the dust. We need more than showers that drop a few tenths.

There is a pond in a neighbors yard across the street that is normally probably 6-10' deep, it has been totally dry for over a month. They could mow it if they wanted to.

A friend of mine's well went dry today.  That makes 4 friends of mine in my local area with dry wells.  From what I understand the ground water supply is getting more critical up here.  No appreciable  rain for New England over the next 10 days.

How deep are the wells? We just keep enduring these 10 day low/ no precip days but it's ridiculous at this point.

Archived