Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

He is fine.   Just having a tough time with the drought

some of the numbers are truly hype worthy

The irony of that drought map  is that it looks like a 2014-2015 snow map lol.   It's pretty bad. A lot of the shallow reservoirs are drying up and towns are going to emergency wells. We have had such a stretch of wet summers....I think people were used to living  the good life. I think at least 3 of the last 4 summers have have been BN in precip. I'll take those winters however. :)

Channel 9 the NH Manchester TV station headlines tonight were the drought.  Many ponds and streams now drying up.  They were showing fish dying with no more water.  Said wildlife now taking a hit, bears with no berries to eat etc.  Fish and Game person was on saying in his 24 years of service he has never seen anything like this.  Farmers also taking a pretty good hit now.  

13 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

There is a little stream fed body of water near my house (smaller than a pond) that is completely dry

i have lived here since 1998 and that has never happened.  And this is with my hood getting around 6" in August.  Mostly around the 18th or so

There is no groundwater. If you look at the maps.. The water table is exceptionally low in the entire SNE region

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

There is no groundwater. If you look at the maps.. The water table is exceptionally low in the entire SNE region

It's nasty.   I was surprised that a swampy area off the bike trail in Gardner still had a decent amount of water.  I half expected it to be dry

the lawns and trees around here also seem to be in decent shape compared to early August

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

It's nasty.   I was surprised that a swampy area off the bike trail in Gardner still had a decent amount of water.  I half expected it to be dry

the lawns and trees around here also seem to be in decent shape compared to early August

Yeah same here. Lawns are generally green. But the short term relief we had in August was just a wet the top few layers kind of thing. Enough for the trees and grass to come back, but not doing anything for water table or long term massive deficits etc. The lowering sun angle , longer nights now also help lawns. We're entering "2nd" green season now as they generally have a recharge each year once past the torrid summer sun angle. Of course the folks in E Ma and the hardest hit area currently in the country in SE NH are in dire straits 

August was pretty kind to W MA precip wise so we are still all greened up and the farms are cranking but the local rivers are now as low as I've ever seen them.  The beaver pond out back is now a field.  

The CT River doesn't look as bad because N VT has been supplying the juice.  PF is using up his precip quota in the wrong months. 

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have never seen Winni so low. Their watershed has been way drier compared to Squam. 

The Winni River at my place is the lowest I've seen it. The pond off of exit 19 is almost dried up. I haven't seen that in 10 years living here. My front yard looks like Tucson. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I have never seen Winni so low. Their watershed has been way drier compared to Squam. 

It's a month ahead of schedule, but the lake is basically at it's normal fall drawdown level now, which is only 15" below full.

Nothing like 2001/2002 when the lake dropped a little over 3 feet, prior to that you have to go back to 1965 to find a time when it was lower.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The Winni River at my place is the lowest I've seen it. The pond off of exit 19 is almost dried up. I haven't seen that in 10 years living here. My front yard looks like Tucson. 

Lake Champlain is really low too.  I was over near Shelburne Bay last week and the water was 50'-75' or more from the shoreline.  Quite a few docks were high and dry.

7 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

It's a month ahead of schedule, but the lake is basically at it's normal fall drawdown level now, which is only 15" below full.

Nothing like 2001/2002 when the lake dropped a little over 3 feet, prior to that you have to go back to 1965 to find a time when it was lower.

was 01-02 due to drought conditions, or was there something else that caused the low level (such as downstream dam maintenance or something)?

9 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I don't remember it that low in 01-02, was it later in August?  Squam lake is pretty full...must be from the rain to the north filtering its way down into the lake. 

1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

was 01-02 due to drought conditions, or was there something else that caused the low level (such as downstream dam maintenance or something)?

2001 is my driest year here (and 2nd driest of 43 years in Maine*) with 34.98" but thru September 2002 was a bit drier, and 8/02 is my only August here with less than 1".  The record low flow on the Sandy River has been held by 2002 since the 3 mid-August moderate rains took this year's flow out of the lead.  Current flow of 51 cfs is not far from '02.

* The 26.65" in 1978 in Ft. Kent resembles NYC's 26.04 in 1965, not just in actual precip but also in distance from 2nd driest.  (32.99" the year before)   I'm at 25.61" so far in 2016, so it will take precip about 50% BN now thru DEC to threaten the 2001 total.

Archived