joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Sizeable drought affecting SNE

TalcottWx

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Drought has been less severe up here in Central NH.  My particular town has had much lower rainfall than surrounding areas.  I missed every possible thunderstorm all summer.  I've owned this house since 1989.  Pond has never gone dry.  It is 8 feet deep.  It was full right after our meager snowmelt and then since April every month has been extremely dry.  Pond has been completely dry for 6 weeks now and it is at a point I can take my tractor lawn mower and mow the new grass that has sprouted in the pond bed.  Here are 2 pictures, early April and more recently.

netcam04252016.jpg

netcam08062016.jpg

28 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I can say in my area 2 of the last 3 summers have been very dry. And I distinctly recall you discussing very dry conditions at least 1 if not 2 summers on your area 

I'd have to look at the data. I think 2 of the last 3 have been pretty dry. However two summers ago was more from being missed. 

28 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Drought has been less severe up here in Central NH.  My particular town has had much lower rainfall than surrounding areas.  I missed every possible thunderstorm all summer.  I've owned this house since 1989.  Pond has never gone dry.  It is 8 feet deep.  It was full right after our meager snowmelt and then since April every month has been extremely dry.  Pond has been completely dry for 6 weeks now and it is at a point I can take my tractor lawn mower and mow the new grass that has sprouted in the pond bed.  Here are 2 pictures, early April and more recently.

netcam04252016.jpg

netcam08062016.jpg

Must have something to do with your topography. Even though you are elevated.. I wonder if you are semi downsloped by huger hills to the west.. Even though it may not be cut and dry obvious 

15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The last 3-4 summers have been dry overall in SNE.

This drought actually began in 2013

This.  Ever since we had the big +PDO we've been dry especially in the summers.    Got some more activity T-storm wise here with the big heat, but in the average summers of 13-14-15 it was very dry with almost no T-storm activity.

5 hours ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Except for last summer too? ;)

eek,  last summer was very dry too.  I wish I had my netcam pictures because at the end of summer it did go down to almost nothing but not dusty dry.  Also this summer the water went out much earlier.  I did keep netcam pictures from 2016 and it was already very low by July 4.  So yes last summer was very dry but this summer is worse.   

netcam07042016.jpg

Connecticut remains in a Drought Advisory, as of 9/14/2016

Below are the environmental conditions that, as of September 2016, support the current Drought Advisory declaration, pursuant to the Connecticut Drought Response and Preparedness Plan:
  • Precipitation: criteria not triggered
  • Groundwater:  three consecutive months below normal
  • Stream Flow:  two of the past three months below normal
  • Reservoirs:  criteria not triggered
  • Palmer Drought Severity Index: -2.0 to -2.99
  • Crop Moisture Index:  -1.0 to -1.9 (Abnormally Dry)
  • Fire Danger:  moderate or above
  •  

Archived