Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, HailMan06 said:

Lol that's not what he means. The leaves will fall, but they'll turn a dull, brownish color then drop. Drought kills any chances to see the vibrant colors one associates with Fall.

that's always over-rated and only part of the equation...sure the colors will be a bit duller, but in places like NH, VT and ME, it's a non issue.     Also cool nights come into play too-if we get some cold nights, you'll get decent color regardless of drought.

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

that's always over-rated and only part of the equation...sure the colors will be a bit duller, but in places like NH, VT and ME, it's a non issue. Also cool nights come into play too-if we get some cold nights, you'll get decent color regardless of drought.

Sure but this point is meaningless here in the NYC subforum, we're not NNE. Drought stress absolutely affects fall foliage.

Young and stressed trees near me have had their leaves turn brown and drop.  I'm starting to see some really bright oranges and reds on the mature healthy trees though.  The leaves could drop a bit quicker from trees because of the drought but this weather will help to keep that from happening too much as its anything but rainy and windy these days.  I'm not concerned.   

11 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Young and stressed trees near me have had their leaves turn brown and drop.  I'm starting to see some really bright oranges and reds on the mature healthy trees though.  The leaves could drop a bit quicker from trees because of the drought but this weather will help to keep that from happening too much as its anything but rainy and windy these days.  I'm not concerned.   

Quite a bit of color starting to pop out here to the west of you. Peak should be here within the next 2 weeks

20 hours ago, Snow88 said:

Fwiw,  Euro monthlies show a great pattern for December and January for the east. -AO and -EPO.

A front loaded winter would be a nice change of pace, I honestly hate back loaded winters (winter in general actually), by February I want out.

25 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It looks like the CFS has a similar solution to the Euro for DEC. After 4 back-loaded winters in a row starting with 2012-2013, I suppose it's

possible that there could be a change. So it will be interesting to see if there is a significant departure from recent Decembers this year.

cfs_anom_z500_noram_201612_28.png

Looks like the EURO N-J  It`s J-M loses the PNA but keeps the - AO/-NAO throughout . 

23 hours ago, Cfa said:

A front loaded winter would be a nice change of pace, I honestly hate back loaded winters (winter in general actually), by February I want out.

I agree I would prefer a front loaded winter for a change. I still have my doubts as I'm a big believer in follow the trends. At least we got some soaking rain this past weekend on the island as we head back into extended dry

On 10/7/2016 at 3:46 PM, IrishRob17 said:

Maple tree.JPG

Nice to see the South Shore Wxflow stations added to the hourly weather roundup without having to go to the marine obs section of the site.

The Jones Beach and Breezy point stations are great for gauging the beginning of the sea breezes and winter passage of coastal fronts.

REGIONAL WEATHER ROUNDUP
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
200 PM EDT TUE OCT 11 2016

NOTE: "FAIR" INDICATES FEW OR NO CLOUDS BELOW 12,000 FEET WITH NO
SIGNIFICANT WEATHER AND/OR OBSTRUCTIONS TO VISIBILITY.

NYZ071-072-176-178-NJZ106-104-111900-
NEW YORK CITY METRO AREA

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
Central Park   SUNNY     61  41  47 CALM      30.47F
Wall St Helipt CLEAR    N/A N/A N/A W6        30.45F
Bronx Bot Gard   N/A     61  41  48 NE3       30.44F
LaGuardia APRT MOSUNNY   62  44  51 NE5       30.44F
Kennedy INTL   MOSUNNY   61  40  45 SE8       30.46F
Breezy Point     N/A     57 N/A N/A SE6         N/A
Newark/Liberty MOSUNNY   62  38  40 NE6       30.44F
Teterboro      SUNNY     62  35  36 CALM      30.43F
$$

NYZ177-179-078>081-111900-
LONG ISLAND NEW YORK

CITY           SKY/WX    TMP DP  RH WIND       PRES   REMARKS
Jones Beach      N/A     55 N/A N/A E5          N/A
Matinecock PT  NOT AVBL
Farmingdale      N/A    N/A N/A N/A MISG        N/A
MacArthur/ISP  MOSUNNY   63  45  51 SE7       30.43F
Shirley        SUNNY     61  45  55 S9        30.44F
Riverhead      NOT AVBL
Westhampton    SUNNY     60  45  57 VRB7      30.46F
Southampton      N/A     59  48  67 S6        30.41F
Bridgehampton    N/A     61  50  67 S3        30.29F
East Hampton   FAIR      59  46  60 E8        30.43F
Montauk          N/A     59  44  57 VRB3      30.46F
$$

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

if you could "undo" a famous bust, which would you choose? i'd push jan 2015 west

Not so much a bust, but I would love to have seen the March 26, 2014 storm come in about 150 miles closer to the coast. That storm went 955mb at our latitude and blasted Atlantic Canada with cat 3 wind gusts. The cape and islands were brushed by it as well and got rocked pretty hard, if only briefly. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived