Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

2 hours ago, tdp146 said:

This is along the wantagh parkway between the southern state and sunrise highway. Big oaks brown and sick looking. this area had a lot of gypsy months in the spring as well. So not sure how much that plays into the issue. 

image.png

Wow that's right along wantagh high school. Those oaks took the full brunt of sandy and it's a drought that takes them out. They are east facing on the west side of a huge field so they must have experienced some insane winds. Gypsy moths were not in wantagh this year but they were massapequa east

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Montauk dasies have finally come into bloom within the last few days. These are usually the latest flowers to bloom in the fall here in SW Suffolk.

Definitely lived up to the drought-tolerant reputation they have after the summer dry stretch.

MTK.jpg

On September 29, 2016 at 8:55 AM, bluewave said:

The Montauk dasies have finally come into bloom within the last few days. These are usually the latest flowers to bloom in the fall here in SW Suffolk.

Definitely lived up to the drought-tolerant reputation they have after the summer dry stretch.

MTK.jpg

They grow out of the sand at jones beach. Their root system is is super deep. Hence the drought tolerance. Unfortunately most other native species are suffering

6 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

They grow out of the sand at jones beach. Their root system is is super deep. Hence the drought tolerance. Unfortunately most other native species are suffering

These  are the most drought stressed trees dropping brown leaves that have I seen since the 90's and early 2000's. 

8 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

this was the worst late summer garden i've had. everything just crapped out in august 

It's nice to look at all the models and whatnot, but let's be realistic. Does anyone really think Matthew will make it up here?

We all know what will happen. All the models, except for one (EURO probably), will have it hitting, but the outlier says OTS and sticks with it. Then eventually, all models go toward it and we watch a beautiful cane pass us hundreds of miles to the east.

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

I've noticed three different types of weird looking wild mushrooms growing today

The worst stuff that I saw anybody grow here on Long Island is bamboo. It's so invasive and the roots go sideways under the surface and climb up walls

and wrap around underground wires. Never had a harder time than the time digging it out of my side yard coming over from a neighbors yard.

Was like cutting tough underground cables and pulling them up. Places like Long Beach may have instituted growing bans in recent years do to 

all the complaints it generates.

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The worst stuff that I saw anybody grow here on Long Island is bamboo. It's so invasive and the roots go sideways under the surface and climb up walls

and wrap around underground wires.Never had a harder with another plant as the time digging it out of my side yard coming over from a neighbors house.

Was like cutting tough underground cables and pulling them up. I believe Long Beach actually put a ban on growing it.

Yes the neighbors behind us have bamboo, basically running the entire length of their yard. They said they didn't plant it but they've been there 25 years and never did anything about it either. Occasionally it comes over the fence onto our property and after a heavy rain can grow 10 feet in a week

17 hours ago, forkyfork said:

this was the worst late summer garden i've had. everything just crapped out in august 

I actually did well. Still doing well. But you had to literally water twice a day- and deep watering. If you forgot for even a day, things would suffer. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived