Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The heat and dry weather is over. Hopefully warlock enjoys the 40's and rain this week. Should be cold in the morning for those clean ups and shorts 

a bit early for cleanups-at least around here...usually 11/10 and beyond if you want to get 90% of the leaves down.

2 hours ago, seanick said:

For photography purposes, what would be a good drive from NYC to see snow falling. A dusting always looks great when the leaves still have color to them. Was thinking Catskills?

Shawangunk Ridge.. Anywhere from Otisville to Ellenville where elevations range from 1k-2k and should be in line for advisory snows. But there is very little foliage left up here. We are way past peak.

1 hour ago, forkyfork said:

don't bother, there are millions of pics like that in existence already

stfu

13 minutes ago, snywx said:

Shawangunk Ridge.. Anywhere from Otisville to Ellenville where elevations range from 1k-2k and should be in line for advisory snows. But there is very little foliage left up here. We are way past peak.

The Bear Hill Preserve at 1500' or Sam's Point at 2200' are decent bets, and I think most of the huckleberry bushes still have their bright crimson leaves, which should make for nice photos with a coating of fresh snow. 

3 hours ago, seanick said:

For photography purposes, what would be a good drive from NYC to see snow falling. A dusting always looks great when the leaves still have color to them. Was thinking Catskills?

The problem is the higher the elevation the less foliage. Early season/ late season storms are all about elevation. So your kind of late. I would assume places that saw accumulations last weekend also had any remaining leaves striped off by the weight of the snow. I say go all the way north to the high peaked region of the Adirondacks and above 2k and witness a sweet 1' foot snow storm. Lake placid is an amazing town with plenty of things to do and at 2k + they will do very well

You know what really grinds my gears? We're on our 19th consecutive month of above-normal temps, easily on track to log our warmest year ever at most stations, and coming off the least snowy winter in modern history, yet the general public will use a short-lived inch of pre-season snow as irrefutable evidence that global warming is a hoax. Go on facebook and read the comment threads on weather-related pages, or sit at the counter in the diner and eavesdrop on the old people for a while, and it's just sickening.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

You know what really grinds my gears? We're on our 19th consecutive month of above-normal temps, easily on track to log our warmest year ever at most stations, and coming off the least snowy winter in modern history, yet the general public will use a short-lived inch of pre-season snow as irrefutable evidence that global warming is a hoax. Go on facebook and read the comment threads on weather-related pages, or sit at the counter in the diner and eavesdrop on the old people for a while, and it's just sickening.

You can't fix stupid.

5 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yup...the waters getting warm so you might as well swim.

It doesn't help that the pro global warming crowd uses weather events, with potential hazardous results, as irrefutable proof of AGW. The media coverage of Hurricane Matthew and Hermine, specifically, was used by a certain candidate to discuss Climate Change.

We just came off one of the strongest ENSO events since 1998. UAH satellite observations displayed the increase in temps, and since that time has indicated the globe cooling to near pre-Nino temps.

We are thankfully living in an interglacial period. I enjoy cold and snow, but if human influence is truly delaying the onset of the next glaciation, where you and I live was buried under 1/2 mile of ice, I for one am happy.

This thread is going to be deleted, but I felt it needed a response.

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived