joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Summer/Early Fall 16 Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Long Beach barrier island beach rebuilding process is finally about to begin and take several years. They are starting in Point Lookout and Lido before moving west into Long Beach.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/army-corps-dune-project-in-long-beach-to-begin-this-month-1.11995566

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will begin work later this month on building jetties and offshore coastal storm protection for Long Beach and the barrier island from Jones Inlet to Atlantic Beach.

The corps plans to start work this month in Point Lookout and Lido Beach and move west toward Long Beach next year by adding sand and jetties across 35,000 linear feet from Point Lookout to the western boundary of Long Beach at Nevada Avenue. The plan also calls to taper the end of the project into East Atlantic Beach.

The first $38 million phase of the project was awarded to Bay Shore-based H&L Construction, which will complete all groin construction in two years. Contractors plan to haul 250,000 tons of stone from New Jersey across the Atlantic Beach Bridge Monday through Friday.

The second contract is scheduled to be awarded by November 2017 to add 4.7 million cubic yards of sand, dune crossings and dune grass.

The Long Beach barrier island beach rebuilding process is finally about to begin and take several years. They are starting in Point Lookout and Lido before moving west into Long Beach.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/nassau/army-corps-dune-project-in-long-beach-to-begin-this-month-1.11995566

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will begin work later this month on building jetties and offshore coastal storm protection for Long Beach and the barrier island from Jones Inlet to Atlantic Beach.

The corps plans to start work this month in Point Lookout and Lido Beach and move west toward Long Beach next year by adding sand and jetties across 35,000 linear feet from Point Lookout to the western boundary of Long Beach at Nevada Avenue. The plan also calls to taper the end of the project into East Atlantic Beach.

The first $38 million phase of the project was awarded to Bay Shore-based H&L Construction, which will complete all groin construction in two years. Contractors plan to haul 250,000 tons of stone from New Jersey across the Atlantic Beach Bridge Monday through Friday.

The second contract is scheduled to be awarded by November 2017 to add 4.7 million cubic yards of sand, dune crossings and dune grass.

Finally-it's way overdue. Hopefully the work needed on the Reynolds Channel side comes soon too. That's where the flooding comes from now anyway.

I had a dream we were stuck during a blizzard for a month. Usually that means we're gonna have a long winter for me. By the way mount rainier is getting snow tonight! And a lot of it

This Afternoon

Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a steady temperature around 28. Breezy, with a south southwest wind around 22 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tonight

Snow showers. Low around 21. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 21 to 29 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

Saturday

Snow showers likely. Some thunder is also possible. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 18 to 23 mph decreasing to 7 to 12 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

On July 5, 2016 at 7:09 PM, seanick said:

My wife and I got married on Sunday in Port Jefferson Long Island. Unfortunately her father died Friday morning so it was rough but we couldn't have asked for a better sunset.
qyRWAbV.jpg

Congrats! Enjoy that honeymoon! 

The update made made this the best NYC metro weather board on the web! Feel bad for those on other boards 

1 minute ago, Cfa said:

I thought this was the mobile version, I'm relieved.

Just went on my desktop and it looks much better  Wow.    

Also he mobile version doesn't met tags.  Or mod/admin tags for that matter.  

The quoting function works better on the PC. 

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

Anyone know how to view radar shots from earlier in the day?

I would like to see the radar from 5 am when that rain moved through. thanks.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/nexrad/index.php?type=DIX-N0Q-1-96

Can't do it for OKX because their radar frames are like 1 minute or something so it doesn't go go far back enough to capture the rain late at night. 

• Rjay unpinned this topic

Archived