Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Haha!  You buy more pre-emergent than anyone I know!

HAH...well I like Grits outlook, fairly blah winter, nothing extreme either direction.  Probably sneak in 1-3" ala 2012.  

We have had fairly extreme warmth the past 12 months or so, that's been winning, I don't think seasonality is enough to justify calling for cold.  The strat has gotten off to a interesting start...is that enough to carry over into heart of winter to trigger some moderate cold....

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Not yet, but give it another year. if we don't see much rain between now and next November it's gonna get ugly.

Pattern can't last forever, and we have the Gulf of Mexico too near to us to ever become a true semi-arid climate. I don't think anyway...

7 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

I see J Shet, spitting his drought propaganda routine on the other forum! Jonesville is the new Death Valley! 100s, all day every day, with annual rainfall of 3.01"

The drought is actually worse in Greenville county right now, thanks to my area being brushed by Hermine and Matthew. Without Matthew,  upstate SC would have went through Oct. without any rain at all. Glad to see you back on here.

31 minutes ago, jshetley said:

The drought is actually worse in Greenville county right now, thanks to my area being brushed by Hermine and Matthew. Without Matthew,  upstate SC would have went through Oct. without any rain at all. Glad to see you back on here.

Thanks ! And yeah Clemson is even worse! 20-22" below for the year! GSP just inched up over the 10" below mark this week!

18 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Thanks ! And yeah Clemson is even worse! 20-22" below for the year! GSP just inched up over the 10" below mark this week!

Man 10" is like desert totals. I really hope you guys get some rain soon. Looking at the 18z GFS not even a quarter inch showing up over the drought areas the next 16 days.  

im going to start scraping the frost/freeze off surfaces and save them in a zip-lock and label them date time location temperature everyday they continue to fail to issue frost/freeze products. i don't know if i should send this in a cooler to Maryland to go over their heads or take a trip to the NWS with a attitude.a little help would be nice i want representation where i live including ozone alerts from the state government too like in other areas near Asheville during wildfires

I'm no climatologist obviously, but couldn't these warming trends lead to move snow in the snow belt regions of the northeast? (warmer lakes) That being said, couldn't that lead to colder temperatures late winter into spring for the northeast and upper south with a solid snowpack on the ground?  Those dynamics often bring snow showers all the way to the North Carolina mountains.

I'm shaking my head at all of the naysayers on the board that thinks nobody outside of the mountains in the SE gets snow.  Pessimists until proven wrong, I guess.  Could it happen?  Sure.  However, continuing to predict something that happens every 100 years doesn't seem logical to me.  Maybe this is the year?  We will see.

I'm shaking my head at all of the naysayers on the board that thinks nobody outside of the mountains in the SE gets snow.  Pessimists until proven wrong, I guess.  Could it happen?  Sure.  However, continuing to predict something that happens every 100 years doesn't seem logical to me.  Maybe this is the year?  We will see.

Who thinks this? No snow outside of the mountains? What?

9 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

Or probably January.

I'm still very hopeful for Thanksgiving or right after for our change. That would also be the best time for a change. Anything sooner and we could then flip back warm for the start of meteorological winter; we want a cold pattern to start December.

Definitely banter but here is day 16 Thanksgiving Eve (I like to show dew points to indicate potential cold):

11-8-2016 9-27-10 AM.jpg

JB is talking about the flip; from the cold pattern in Asia to a cold pattern in N. America. Siberian/Russian snow cover is way above average (3rd best?). There's a lot of cold air over there for when/if the patter flips (-AO cross polar flow) we should see a good arctic outbreak. The indices (to me) look ok in the LR. PNA does fall towards neutral/slightly positive, NAO falls to slight negative, and the AO falls solidly negative. I would like to see the PNA stronger positive, but again this is LR and is only worthy of banter right now.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/teleconnections.shtml

• jburns locked this topic

Archived