Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

12 hours ago, Jon said:

Who thinks this? No snow outside of the mountains? What?

Oh, it was J.C. in the snowfall contest thread and the debate in the Winter thread about snowless winters.  The usual suspects a guess.  I think it would be more statistically likely to get 200% of our annual snowfall than 0%.  Either could happen, but it looks like our chances may come early this year.  Let's hope for a good three month window with a favorable pattern and see what happens.  Just bantering...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jshetley said:

And it's not changing anytime soon. The big pattern change isn't coming anytime soon. No real rain until sometime in Dec. Maybe.

Wait, what ? James Spann says theres a major pattern change next week and the euro is showing 5"+ rain between mid November and mid december.

Just now, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Wait, what ? James Spann says theres a major pattern change next week and the euro is showing 5"+ rain between mid November and mid december.

It may get a lot cooler, but that 5 inches of rain over the next month is BS. More like .50 if we are lucky.

23 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Lol obviously you have been beaten down by the pattern. Yes it's dry, very dry but the pattern will change eventually . 

Can't blame jshetley for doubting it will happen. It's very difficult to break a drought without a tropical system so hopefully there will be some good dynamics involved to do it.

47 minutes ago, GaStorm said:

Can't blame jshetley for doubting it will happen. It's very difficult to break a drought without a tropical system so hopefully there will be some good dynamics involved to do it.

There has to be. No I don't blame him but we have to think one week at a time. We can't can't say well its going to be dry as a bone this whole next year without some more data backing that up.

2 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

There has to be. No I don't blame him but we have to think one week at a time. We can't can't say well its going to be dry as a bone this whole next year without some more data backing that up.

True. Would be funny if we scored our biggest rain and winter weather during a weak la nina. The strong nino produced a drought so who knows.

1 hour ago, jshetley said:

If we can't get precip I hope all the really cold air stays just where it is now.

That won't be a problem! It seems to like Europe and Asia, every year we wait for it to dump and wait to see where it goes and 99/100, it goes to the other side of the world!! It wouldn't surprise me if it stayed there the whole winter, and just dissipates in the spring or dumps over here in April

Haven't been on here in a while. Looks like SE has become a desert. Alaska, Canada, and North Pole are on fire. Asia is in the freezer. 

Nothing much going on here in Hawaii. Had a cold front/shearline come through yesterday with temps getting down to 68 this morning. Trade winds are gone for a while it looks like. 

I'll be back in Georgia on the 10th of November through the end of the month. 

1 hour ago, metalicwx366 said:

Haven't been on here in a while. Looks like SE has become a desert. Alaska, Canada, and North Pole are on fire. Asia is in the freezer. 

Nothing much going on here in Hawaii. Had a cold front/shearline come through yesterday with temps getting down to 68 this morning. Trade winds are gone for a while it looks like. 

I'll be back in Georgia on the 10th of November through the end of the month. 

Come on now. It's 25 and snowing in Barrow, AK. How is that on fire ?

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

That won't be a problem! It seems to like Europe and Asia, every year we wait for it to dump and wait to see where it goes and 99/100, it goes to the other side of the world!! It wouldn't surprise me if it stayed there the whole winter, and just dissipates in the spring or dumps over here in April

I think maybe we get a shot of winter from just before Christmas until around Jan 5 if this goes like the LaNina winter of 1998-99. The southeast had a major icestorm just before Christmas and another on in the CAD area just after the new year started. Then warm until March when it may get cold again. 

If it goes like 1988-89, we would have to wait until February to get any winter weather and then only in the Carolinas. GA would mostly miss out.

19 minutes ago, metalicwx366 said:

Not sure if you are serious or not. Their average high is 6 degrees. Have you seen the temperature anomalies up there for the past month?

Yep 25 sounds cold, but it very warm for that area in November. The cold air is in Asia now, and shows no sign of leaving anytime soon.

43 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Yep 25 sounds cold, but it very warm for that area in November. The cold air is in Asia now, and shows no sign of leaving anytime soon.

Still a lot of open water off shore of Barrow. This in itself is keeping the temps higher than normal. Go inland and the temps drop off significantly.

On a side thought; I'm wondering if there will be an increase in total snow in the arctic regions of Alaska. They normally do not get a lot of heavy snow amounts in the winter (very cold and dry). Currently Barrow shows snow every day for the next seven days (warmer, more moisture to generate snow). If there is a big increase in snow amounts how does this effect the spring melt. Maybe some feedback scenarios to consider.  

• jburns locked this topic

Archived