joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been in a snow mood today so I'm going back and looking at some past storms, particularly the January 2014 storm. It just baffles me how they downplayed the potential for big road problems. I mean, the temp was way below freezing so that alone should have told them that even a light amount of snow would create hazardous travel on roadways. I remember I called my employer that morning before it even started snowing to tell them I wouldn't be coming in to work that afternoon. They acted like they didn't have a clue what I was talking about. I must have been one of the very few who knew that road conditions would be horrible.

4 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I wish fall would come and actually stay. After a brief shot of cooler air fri and sat, we are right back in the heat by mon and tues.

Highs in the 70s with lower dew points... certainly not indicative of a southern Summer. It's warm, but still, 'Fall' weather. 

6 minutes ago, whamby said:

Highs in the 70s with lower dew points... certainly not indicative of a southern Summer. It's warm, but still, 'Fall' weather. 

It may very well hit 80 here next week. Average high next week is in the upper 60s ! That's ok though. Maybe the pattern will flip at just the right time in December and we will get below normal weather.

1 hour ago, Avdave said:

You dont take the GFS past Day 7 for verbatim do you?  If you do, that is ridiculous

It's been doing fine in the extended so far for much of the area and I expect it'll continue to. We MIGHT get widespread decent rain from Miss to NC by Thanksgiving if we are lucky. Without Matthew, just about all of NC and SC would have little to no rain this month, and I think the tropics are done so no more rain from there. It'll take all of fall and most of winter, but the Raleigh area in NC will get into this drought before it's all said and done. Count on it.

19 minutes ago, jshetley said:

It's been doing fine in the extended so far for much of the area and I expect it'll continue to. We MIGHT get widespread decent rain from Miss to NC by Thanksgiving if we are lucky. Without Matthew, just about all of NC and SC would have little to no rain this month, and I think the tropics are done so no more rain from there. It'll take all of fall and most of winter, but the Raleigh area in NC will get into this drought before it's all said and done. Count on it.

It hasnt done that great in the LR. I think you just like to focus on the drought situation at hand. I dont think the central NC area and the Triangle will be in on the drought anytime soon. We have had a few months of above norm precip. Plus it is only Oct 19th still plenty of time to rain some more here.  I just wouldnt focus so much on the GFS past day 7, when there are so much more to look at and put together a forecast. 

21 minutes ago, jshetley said:

The GFS has been doing awful in the long range dude. This cold front coming through tomorrow night had been on the euro for days before the GFS picked it up. The gfs was putting energy back in the West and not even really showing a cold front coming through for days. Also you do know October in general is the driest month of the whole year, or one of the driest months. 

4 minutes ago, Avdave said:

It hasnt done that great in the LR. I think you just like to focus on the drought situation at hand. I dont think the central NC area and the Triangle will be in on the drought anytime soon. We have had a few months of above norm precip. Plus it is only Oct 19th still plenty of time to rain some more here.  I just wouldnt focus so much on the GFS past day 7, when there are so much more to look at and put together a forecast. 

The gfs wins some and loses some. It's absolutely horrible in the LR in my opinion. 

12 hours ago, Met1985 said:

The gfs wins some and loses some. It's absolutely horrible in the LR in my opinion. 

Exactly. Generally speaking though in the LR past 7 days, it is a toss up. i dont take it for verbatim for what it shows, if I did that, hell I would have over 100" of snow each winter :lol:

Hope it doesn't rain much tomorrow. The kids have an early release day for school and I'm taking them to the state fair. Tomorrow is the only day we can go. WRAL is saying just spotty light showers in the afternoon and evening, so hope that will be right. Might be nice to keep the crowd down.

My wife can't go tomorrow with us, but we're going by ourselves Saturday night. Looks like it's going to be boo chilly!

3 hours ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Congrats to Birmingham on breaking its record for the latest 90 degree day on record. The previous record was set on October 19, 2016.

I'm a Birmingham, AL native - IMO "North Central Alabama" has the worst climate in the US: incredibly hot/humid in the summer (without an easy escape to higher elevations - NC mountains are a 4+ hour drive), significant tornado risk in the fall/spring ("Dixie Alley"), and bone chilling cold in the winter with little snow - Birmingham averages only 1.5 inches of snow per year. Somewhat better weather here in Greenville, SC: live 1 hour south of Asheville for a summer heat escape, average 3x more snow than B'ham (and a LOT more ice due to CAD, which B'ham never experiences), and hardly ever see a tornado.

7 hours ago, NWNC2015 said:

Looking for some characters to scrub in with me this winter on our potential threats. Mostly EURO analysis, so late night shift. Thinking Cold Rain, Joe Bastardi, and a few others. Seasonal thing, December-March only. 

My late night ends about 10:30, unfortunately.  Might look into moving to Hawaii.  We'll see if we can make it happen then.

• jburns locked this topic

Archived