Newest Member
    CHSVol
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jshetley said:

It won't rain in the southeast until Thanksgiving and maybe not even then. Next summer is going to make what we just went through this summer seem like nothing, when we match Phoenix AZ for heat and dryness. Someone may see 120 next summer in the southeast.

Just another 14 degrees and we could beat the world's hottest temp record. That'd be fun...

23 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Just another 14 degrees and we could beat the world's hottest temp record. That'd be fun...

Hopefully something changes, but I just don't see it. This is going to be a very dry fall, just like 2001 when we went 2 months without more than traces of rain. The reason I see next summer so hot is because I don't think we are going to see a lot of rain right through this spring. This, along with a west to northwest flow and downsloping will bake NC and SC. With the gulf cut off dewpoints will be low, but temps will be extreme. The hottest in the southeast will probably be the area from Charlotte to Athens and down to Augusta and Columbia. IF we somehow get into a wetter pattern before summer all bets are off, but I don't see it happening.

31 minutes ago, jshetley said:

Hopefully something changes, but I just don't see it. This is going to be a very dry fall, just like 2001 when we went 2 months without more than traces of rain. The reason I see next summer so hot is because I don't think we are going to see a lot of rain right through this spring. This, along with a west to northwest flow and downsloping will bake NC and SC. With the gulf cut off dewpoints will be low, but temps will be extreme. The hottest in the southeast will probably be the area from Charlotte to Athens and down to Augusta and Columbia. IF we somehow get into a wetter pattern before summer all bets are off, but I don't see it happening.

If la nina does not materialize that should be good news for the SE as a whole. But you are right about the importance of this upcoming winter precip totals to how dry next summer could become. The worse drought usually follow dry winters.    

4 hours ago, jshetley said:

It won't rain in the southeast until Thanksgiving and maybe not even then. Next summer is going to make what we just went through this summer seem like nothing, when we match Phoenix AZ for heat and dryness. Someone may see 120 next summer in the southeast.

thats just a bit dramatic

9 minutes ago, Avdave said:

thats just a bit dramatic

Maybe on this 2nd part, but not the 1st. The GFS shows little if any rain right through day 16. And much of the southeast was bone dry in 2001 as well when we barely got a trace of rain from mid Sept until after Thanksgiving where I am and I easily see that happening again this fall. The pattern we have now looks a lot like it did that fall.

3 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

I had oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Then I went to a dentist appointment, and afterwards I went to Bojangle's and had a second breakfast with a cheddar Bo biscuit and Bo rounds. Well, I guess it was more of a brunch. Now I wonder if I should have the salad I brought for lunch.

I did.  It's a good day for a salad.

Its crazy how much the track has changed from what it was... its safe to say now nc wont see much of anything from this storm.  Maybe some outer bands can make it here at best.

If you call 10"+ of rain in some spots that are already saturated not much of anything. NC will have its fair share of effects from this system. Maybe not 110 MPH winds, but Wilmington could certainly see hurricane gusts. Honestly I don't think it is "safe" to make any assumptions atm.

2 minutes ago, burgertime said:

Could really use some of that tropical air here in Amsterdam....currently sitting at 55 with a cool breeze in the air. Getting down into the lower 40's now. Hoping my fellow SE board members get spared major damage with this hurricane.

Sorry no Europeans allowed to post here...... :P     **we miss your play by play of the models. But, hope everything is going well.

Wasn't the Euro two days ago that had the "bad" run that showed Matthew doing the loop and coming back to Florida? Or was it the UKMET? Just funny how when we first saw it it was hysterical now it's about to actually do the loop It looks like. But once it goes down again, it has to come back up right?

1 hour ago, wncsnow said:

Will be interesting to see how the steady rain Saturday will affect the college football games in NC such as UNC/VT, NCST/ND, etc..

The biggest effect will be that the losing team will use the rain as an excuse, as if the winning team was playing on a dry field. 

8 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Oftentimes, I wished I lived in Jacksonville rather than Tallahassee.  This is not one of those times. :unsure:

Didn't realize you now lived in Tallahassee!  I have a sister in Ft. Walton Beach, her son my nephew obviously, graduated from FSU.... he and his wife currently live in Jacksonville.  They are on their way to Ft. Walton to get out of harms way.   Last I heard moving about 6 mph on I-10!!

• jburns locked this topic

Archived