Newest Member
    joxey
21st Century Banter Thread

jburns

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, Hugo said:

Cancelling every winter for the rest of time is impressive even by this forum's standards.  

While warming may bring you fewer snow events overall, it's also possible it will bring more massive winter storms.  Calm down. 

Exactly, and the pattern setup can still trumps any overall warming. It's been some time since we've had good blocking in the winter. Give us a +PNA, -AO, and a -NAO in the winter months and see what happens.

Otherwise, lots of snow build up in Siberia this year. Should be some very cold air building in that part of the world. Give us some cross polar flow and we could be talking about the return of the Siberian Express.   

1 hour ago, Hugo said:

Cancelling every winter for the rest of time is impressive even by this forum's standards.  

While warming may bring you fewer snow events overall, it's also possible it will bring more massive winter storms.  Calm down. 

Hah...I assumed we were just bantering in the banter thread :-)

In all seriousness it's hard to argue, at least for central NC the snow futility we have been in since '90.  I don't know if we will ever return to the climatology we saw in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  The mid Atlantic seems to be setting new records every winter so some folks are doing OK.  It's going to take a long time to really understand if this is the new norm or just a cycle.   

For this winter I am expecting a slightly AN winter (+1 to +3).  Well BN in snow for central NC.  The Midwest will get hammered this winter and suspect the MA will have another great winter.  

29 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Hah...I assumed we were just bantering in the banter thread :-)

In all seriousness it's hard to argue, at least for central NC the snow futility we have been in since '90.  I don't know if we will ever return to the climatology we saw in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  The mid Atlantic seems to be setting new records every winter so some folks are doing OK.  It's going to take a long time to really understand if this is the new norm or just a cycle.   

For this winter I am expecting a slightly AN winter (+1 to +3).  Well BN in snow for central NC.  The Midwest will get hammered this winter and suspect the MA will have another great winter.  

Pack, Going with the prospect of la nina and the NOAA winter outlook what you state is the best bet. But since I'm not a meteorologist, and don't have to give good reasons,  I'm betting we have a good year. I'm strictly basing this on a hunch that there will be extreme cold air to our north and that we'll get more blocking this year. I think most storms will try to ride up or west of the Appalachians, but there will be plenty of CAD setups to feed in that very cold air and fight the progress (Miller Bs). We've seen many cases in the past few years were CAD wins the day.        

14 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

Pack, Going with the prospect of la nina and the NOAA winter outlook what you state is the best bet. But since I'm not a meteorologist, and don't have to give good reasons,  I'm betting we have a good year. I'm strictly basing this on a hunch that there will be extreme cold air to our north and that we'll get more blocking this year. I think most storms will try to ride up or west of the Appalachians, but there will be plenty of CAD setups to feed in that very cold air and fight the progress (Miller Bs). We've seen many cases in the past few years were CAD wins the day.        

Typically a weak Nina to neutral neg is pretty good for us.  Be a shame to mess that up this winter.  The lack of a winter -nao is getting ridiculous.   My hunch is this will be a boring winter, we get a 1-2" something in Jan and early spring in Feb.  This is the least excited I have been about a winter since 11/12.    I hope I am wrong though!

6 minutes ago, LithiaWx said:

Nrgjeff says weeklies show winter coming in around the first of December.  Possibly delayed two eeeks tommid December.  Warm now means the hammer drops later.  Rubber bands and ****. 

He's a great met in the TN Valley forum. 

That's good news. How was the precip forecast?

4 hours ago, LithiaWx said:

Nrgjeff says weeklies show winter coming in around the first of December.  Possibly delayed two eeeks tommid December.  Warm now means the hammer drops later.  Rubber bands and ****. 

He's a great met in the TN Valley forum. 

So, he is forecasting a condom winter where the rubber stretches until it finally breaks leaving us pregnant with storm possibilities.  The question is, do we end up with a single birth or is Mother Nature feeling like Octo-Mom?

45 minutes ago, jburns said:

So, he is forecasting a condom winter where the rubber stretches until it finally breaks leaving us pregnant with storm possibilities.  The question is, do we end up with a single birth or is Mother Nature feeling like Octo-Mom?

2010 was like that, warm till Dec then 3 little events leading up to the Xmas big dog and then a smattering of smaller events Jan into Feb.....best winter in forever around here....which means it will probably be 20 yrs till we get another one like it.

James Spann is such a moron. He says in his blog today that Birmingham hasn't had a record high in October since 1984 so " we were long overdue for this". He always has a way of justifying extreme warmth. I guess we were also due for a record warm October and one of the driest Octobers on record. BTW, he was wrong about Birmingham not having a record high in October since 1984 since Birmingham had a record high earlier this month !

Typically a weak Nina to neutral neg is pretty good for us.  Be a shame to mess that up this winter.  The lack of a winter -nao is getting ridiculous.   My hunch is this will be a boring winter, we get a 1-2" something in Jan and early spring in Feb.  This is the least excited I have been about a winter since 11/12.    I hope I am wrong though!

My hunch is opposite but that's probably expected, I really like this winter if we can get it going early. If we continue to hope for a fab feb, it's not going to happen...that's been proven year in and year out lately with the warmth. Not saying December has to be rockin', but we need a threat or two. I'll be really bummed if it's mid Jan without snow.

I enjoy reading your posts and everyone else's this's preseason. I plan to be active once things get going in Nov, flu shot season in the pharmacy is killing me

23 minutes ago, Avdave said:

Now that Halloween is in the books, which radio station in the triangle area or in NC flips to an all christmas/holiday music format tomorrow 11/1  there has to be at least one here.  I will be avoiding it tremendously

I personally love Christmas music and listen to it nonstop from November 1st to December 31st. I also put my Christmas tree up tomorrow.`Once Halloween is over, the Holiday season is officially here !

17 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I personally love Christmas music and listen to it nonstop from November 1st to December 31st. I also put my Christmas tree up tomorrow.`Once Halloween is over, the Holiday season is officially here !

surely you mix in a little Black Sabbath here and there to balance things out?

38 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

Seriously? Wow that is way too early for me. Especially with the warm temps outside still . Have fun putting up the tree tomorrow lol

19 minutes ago, Isopycnic said:

101.5 wral changes over at some point.

I figured they would around Thanksgiving. I know some stations on the east coast start playing that music Nov 1 which is way to early IMO

8 hours ago, Avdave said:

Seriously? Wow that is way too early for me. Especially with the warm temps outside still . Have fun putting up the tree tomorrow lol

I figured they would around Thanksgiving. I know some stations on the east coast start playing that music Nov 1 which is way to early IMO

We can listen to Christmas music on the way to the swamp in two weeks, :)

• jburns locked this topic

Archived