joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May Banter

H2O

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blues/Sharks. Someone is FINALLY making the finals after years of waiting. 

Yep, won't be my 'Hawks this year. Can't complain after the past 6 seasons. I thought we had rid ourselves of too much talent at the start of the year.....proved true although they did OK with what they had left and acquired. Maybe a year break will do some good.

Anyone fish the mountain streams recently? Was hoping to sneak away this weekend but the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate. Floated the Rivanna (criminally underrated) a couple of weeks ago for pre-spawn smallmouth and netted close to 30. 

Anyone take the VRE on a regular basis? I start a new job at the end of the month and am thinking of commuting from Rolling Road to L'Enfant on the train and then walking to Gallery Place when the weather allows.

I've never taken VRE, but it's looking like the best option for me. The only real downside is the relative lack of trains, so there's little option but to come in and leave at very set times (can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it!).

Good, bad, or indifferent, any feedback is certainly welcome!

Anyone fish the mountain streams recently? Was hoping to sneak away this weekend but the weather doesn't look like it will cooperate. Floated the Rivanna (criminally underrated) a couple of weeks ago for pre-spawn smallmouth and netted close to 30. 

If you are talking the SNP streams for brook trout, they should be in excellent shape. 

Anyone take the VRE on a regular basis? I start a new job at the end of the month and am thinking of commuting from Rolling Road to L'Enfant on the train and then walking to Gallery Place when the weather allows.

I've never taken VRE, but it's looking like the best option for me. The only real downside is the relative lack of trains, so there's little option but to come in and leave at very set times (can be good or bad, depending on how you look at it!).

From what I remember, VRE isn't a bad option so long as you can park your car to get to your home station (my dad is hosed as he lives in spotsy but is much closer to the Fredericksburg station; but you have to be a F'burg resident to get a pass to park in the VRE lot so he's forced to commute to Quantico by car).

As for the set times, as long as you don't see yourself working late or unpredictable work schedule then you can easily hash out a rough timetable for how long it takes. I do it, granted on a much smaller scale having to commute from SS to NIH via bus.

Just a thought, when you're returning home instead of walking to L'Enfant from gallery place, why not start at union? It's closer equidistant* from Chinatown to Union rather than L'Enfant to Chinatown, plus you'll be at a terminus which means you don't have to look for seats.

I'm switching to VRE in June because the Metro repair work will make Blue/Yellow unusable most of the summer. I've taken it a few times to try it out and my colleague rides regularly.

Compared to Metro it's a much cleaner, quieter, and more comfortable ride, plus your phone works the whole time. Generally faster though there can be issues with heat restrictions in summer.

Biggest downside for me is the last train is fairly early (6:48 from L'Enfant on Fredericksburg line) making evening events for work more difficult.

Good feedback....thanks, biodhokie and Kingstonian!

I live a walkable distance from Rolling Road, so it's incredibly convenient. I'd take the second train in and the first rush hour train back out each day, so that works fairly well. I don't see myself working long hours regularly, but my early-in/early-out schedule would allow for remaining in the city when it's needed.

Good call on Union Station v L'Enfant, biodhokie. Per stats on the BRE site, it looks like that early departing train doesn't fill up, so I should be OK, but I'll give that a shot to see how it stacks up to L'Enfant.

I've been working at either the Pentagon, in Crystal City, or at Andrews AFB for almost ten years now, so it's going to be a big change going back into the city every day!

Nice improvising! I'd love to try some.I do believe oxygen is the monster its made out to be. I can tell changes in hoppy beers after just a couple weeks due to oxidation. Not that its bad after that, just not the same and not as aromatic and hoppy.

The Black Eye PA Susan turned out awesome and was a big hit at yesterday's annual party. I wanted to keg it last weekend to give it time to carbonate, but it was still fermenting slowly so I waited until Tuesday night and forced carbed it. I had never done that before but it worked fine. Original Gravity was 1.074 and final of 1.017, though I think I could have let it go another week to get it a tad lower. The keg was tapped at 10AM and was dead by noon, so everyone must have enjoyed it. I'm going to brew another batch this week to have some around for the early summer.

Thanks again for the tips!

Archived