SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
May Banter

H2O

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hand, foot, and mouth disease was unknowingly brought into our house 10 days ago, but luckily we've avoided it. Our neighbors didn't, though - two boys and a mom got it.

mini-map has had that a few times. sucks. thankfully its not terrible. croup is another one we've had a few times. 

kids, got to love them. 

I'm not so sure about the CO2 blanket either -- I've heard there is more gas mixing than we would have thought. If you don't have a good way to purge, you may want to consider just doing one big dry hop during fermentation and skipping the second one.

Let me know how it comes out!

I just wanted to give you an update on the Black Eye PA Susan we brewed a week and a half ago.  After four days of fermentation I did the first dry hop and didn't worry about the intro of oxygen since it was still producing CO2.  As far as the second dry hop, I came up with a really simple solution to the purging issue.  I simply drilled a second hole in a bucket lid to hold a second airlock.  After replacing the hops, I sealed the lid, filled one airlock and forced CO2 through the second one for about 30 seconds to push out any air, then filled that airlock.  The process went great and I'll keg it later this week.  I'll let you know how it turns out next weekend, and if it's any good, I'll fill a growler for my next visit up your way so you can give it a try.

Thanks for help!

I personally think that the fear of oxygenation is overplayed. For the home brewer, the effects of oxygenation will likely be overcome by events (i.e. the finishing of the beer).

That said, last weekend I finished the last bomber of my Nelson/Galaxy IPA (primarily Nelson and Galaxy with some Centennial and Citea thrown in). I dry hop (loose pellets) after active fermentation is done, and it was just as hoppy as when I had the first bottle in mid-January. I'm all for trying to perfect a beer, but perhaps the oxygenation piece isn't something we should over worry ourselves about.

Hi All,

I am conducting a survey on the AmericanWX site as part of a graduate student research project at UMBC.  The survey should only take 10 minutes, and will be open until Saturday, May 14 at 12 noon EST.  

The first five (5) people to respond will receive a $10 Amazon gift card within 24 hours of submission. For every 10 submissions after that, one person will be selected at random to receive a $10 Amazon gift card, up to 55 total submissions (10 total gift cards).

To participate, please visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2BFJDLZ.

All submissions will remain anonymous, individuals will not be identified, and the data and results will only be used for this class paper (the results will not be published).

Thanks!

Kevin

I personally think that the fear of oxygenation is overplayed. For the home brewer, the effects of oxygenation will likely be overcome by events (i.e. the finishing of the beer).

That said, last weekend I finished the last bomber of my Nelson/Galaxy IPA (primarily Nelson and Galaxy with some Centennial and Citea thrown in). I dry hop (loose pellets) after active fermentation is done, and it was just as hoppy as when I had the first bottle in mid-January. I'm all for trying to perfect a beer, but perhaps the oxygenation piece isn't something we should over worry ourselves about.

You may be right regarding oxygen on beer, but the process for avoiding it is so easy that I would rather not risk it.

Sounds like a nice brew that you made. How do you like the Nelson hops? I've never used them.

Hand, foot & moth disease?!  Yeesh, glad I took care of the ability to have kids on my end.

*mouth

yes, just a viral infection. starts off as a rash on ones hands, feet, in the mouth, or diaper area. first time my kid got it, i confused it for a diaper rash (because she didn't have it anywhere else), but then the fever comes on. Nothing to give the kid for the rash, ointment helps but usually just have to wait it out. 

when the kiddo was 5-months old she got a bad case, only it didn't go away and manifested into a more serious viral infection. she ended up in the hospital for five days due to a fever of 103+. scary times. 

no.  Same sh*t, different year.  Another good year wasted 

I believe it was game 3 that they lost and should have won.  I might be thinking wrong, but the game I'm talking about literally had multiple chances with the puck sitting in front of an open net and we couldn't put it away.  I knew then we were in trouble.

I thought y'all were kidding. Yikes.

ha! i wish. all sorts of fun sicknesses that she's gotten in the last three years, that in turn has been passed to either me or my husband. 

first time she got croup (another viral infection that causes the throat to swell, kiddo sounded like a barking seal when she cried, coughed, laughed)... I ended up with a sinus infection

second time she got croup, i was sick for weeks. just run of the mill cold that wouldn't go away

roseola is another fun one. fever comes up suddenly, high, then breaks and a rash happens all over. goes away as quickly as it comes

then there are just the usual common colds, stomach bugs (my kid has gotten sick and gave it to us, as well as just bringing it home and giving it to us but not getting sick herself), ear infections, rashes... i could go on. 

thankfully, knock on wood, nothing terribly serious (other than the hospital stay). and it gets better as they get older. their immune system gets better (as does ours!). 

I just wanted to give you an update on the Black Eye PA Susan we brewed a week and a half ago.  After four days of fermentation I did the first dry hop and didn't worry about the intro of oxygen since it was still producing CO2.  As far as the second dry hop, I came up with a really simple solution to the purging issue.  I simply drilled a second hole in a bucket lid to hold a second airlock.  After replacing the hops, I sealed the lid, filled one airlock and forced CO2 through the second one for about 30 seconds to push out any air, then filled that airlock.  The process went great and I'll keg it later this week.  I'll let you know how it turns out next weekend, and if it's any good, I'll fill a growler for my next visit up your way so you can give it a try.

Thanks for help!

Nice improvising! I'd love to try some.

I do believe oxygen is the monster its made out to be. I can tell changes in hoppy beers after just a couple weeks due to oxidation. Not that its bad after that, just not the same and not as aromatic and hoppy.

Ok seriously when is this pattern even looking like it will change? I am sitting here in my house on May 11th and had to put on a lightweight hoodie I was so chilled. My knees have been soar from the damp for close to 2 weeks. And my sinuses have taken on a personality of their own. Luckily I am taking Vitamin D or I may be a total depressed crab from lack of sun. Baking is not even helping over here and that says a lot. This one day every so many days of sun is just not enough. It is like a record that has gotten stuck in a groove and something needs to kick it's ass to the next track!

You may be right regarding oxygen on beer, but the process for avoiding it is so easy that I would rather not risk it.

Sounds like a nice brew that you made. How do you like the Nelson hops? I've never used them.

I just think that, at the home brewer level, it's really not worth worrying about. I've got no issue at all with folks trying to reduce oxygenation, but my feeling is that good brewing practices - both hot and cold side - are more important.

I really like the Nelson hops. They're very distinct, and they pair well with Centennial or similar hops. This one with Galaxy is fantastic, but my Half Nelson (Haf Nelson, half Centennial and Cascade) was out of this world good. I can see how people get the Nelson Sauvin thing from them, but I get a bit more grapefruit and stone fruit from them than their descriptions might have you otherwise expect.

*mouth

yes, just a viral infection. starts off as a rash on ones hands, feet, in the mouth, or diaper area. first time my kid got it, i confused it for a diaper rash (because she didn't have it anywhere else), but then the fever comes on. Nothing to give the kid for the rash, ointment helps but usually just have to wait it out. 

when the kiddo was 5-months old she got a bad case, only it didn't go away and manifested into a more serious viral infection. she ended up in the hospital for five days due to a fever of 103+. scary times.

I hear you!  Ugh, I still have bad memories when our daughter had that kind of spiking fever (up to 103-105) with some kind of stomach virus when she was very little.  Extremely scary, indeed.  She couldn't hold down the infant liquid acetaminophen for long, or even hold down Pedialite.  Fever would go down for a bit, but then spike right back up.  We had to take her into the emergency room since she was starting to get very dehydrated (it feels strange when you go an unusually long time not needing to change a diaper!).  Eyes had a sunken-in look and all because of that.  They had to give her an IV which helped almost immediately, as if it "revived" her; she was also able to finally start getting the fever down with that.  Soon thereafter, she recovered fairly quickly.  But man, what a tense time that was!

I'm amazed that infants-toddlers can somehow handle such high fevers like that and recover.  I still remember a couple of times having over 100 degrees when I was younger (grade school age) and it was awful.  A 103+ fever for an adult would be damn near crippling.

Archived