joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think these posts were tongue in cheek.  I seem to remember him posting about being serious about his preference for that type of weather.  Didn't he move south somewhere?

I think he is still there but I think I remember him discussing a move which fell through.  His webcam is not of the water anymore so maybe he just moved to another location in the same area.

http://www.bathmaineweather.com/index.php

https://twitter.com/MaineWx

I think he is still there but I think I remember him discussing a move which fell through.  His webcam is not of the water anymore so maybe he just moved to another location in the same area.

http://www.bathmaineweather.com/index.php

https://twitter.com/MaineWx

So maybe he is outside enjoying the weather!  Of course, this may be a touch too warm for his liking.

Peeps from north of BGR have been exceedingly few. There was an infrequent poster from a town 15-20 miles NW of the city, I think his screen name was Red, or Red-something. Beyond that one recalls Vim Toot, but central Aroostook ain't Downeast. Back in 2005-06 on Eastern there was a member from Ft. Kent who sent pics of March 2005 with snow halfway up storefront windows, and the 36-38" post-Christmas dump of 12/05, but he moved out of state, IIRC.

Dude loved backdoors and cold and fog and drizzle. Especially in summer . Don't recall his screen name

Disclosure: My all-time favorite BD was in the summer, August 3, 1975.. The day before was Hot Saturday, perhaps New England's hottest day ever with 107 in New Bedford, 102 (from a low of 83) in BOS, 103 at PWM, 102 at BGR (site of our non-AC apt), and 100 with feet in saltwater at BHB. The evening forecast on that day was for another run at triple-D, and it was a big relief to wake up to a cloudy day of low 70s, with the odd sprinkle.

I always thought that 107F was bogus despite being given "official" status. I'll still take 7/4/1911 for hottest day ever...at least for much of NNE.

I always thought that 107F was bogus despite being given "official" status. I'll still take 7/4/1911 for hottest day ever...at least for much of NNE.

Not sure why, though the other site with 107, Chester, MA, had problems - their -35 state record low was tossed (much to my disappointment.  I like statistical anomalies, and having a state's record hot and record cold set at the same location certainly would qualify.)  However, that 107 is only 1-2F above what the 1911 heat wave brought in setting state records in all 3 NNE states, and though it was also hot then in SNE, it was less so than farther north.  The relatively modest minima in 1911 at those record setting NNE sites suggest (to me) that the dews were also modest, a typical NNE heat wave on W to NW downsloping winds.   Have there been any serious questions about the validity of that New Bedford reading?

An interesting thing to note is we seem to be sneaking back into a dry pattern. After any wimpy line of showers moves thru tonight..we could see the next 7-10 days with under .25. Not what you want to see heading into  a warm spell and warm season.

NO

let's nip this course of sensationalism in the bud now...

I see more evidence of wet chances over the next 7-10 days then a scenario where the region "suffers" only under .25

I'm sure other Mets will join in pruning such course of typical falsehoods/wish casting... though why anyone would privately wish for a drought is a head scratcher.  

D4.5 oper. Euro has a wet coastal... probably .5 to 1.0" of strata drabs there ... not bothering to look any further; your assertion couldn't even pass one test. 

NO

let's nip this course of sensationalism in the bud now...

I see more evidence of wet chances over the next 7-10 days then a scenario where the region "suffers" only under .25

I'm sure other Mets will join in pruning such course of typical falsehoods/wish casting... though why anyone would privately wish for a drought is a head scratcher.  

D4.5 oper. Euro has a wet coastal... probably .5 to 1.0" of strata drabs there ... not bothering to look any further; your assertion couldn't even pass one test. 

Again..you're likely going to come up incorrect.by passively just glossing over operational runs

Tuesday night through Wednesday night...

Deformation zone/weak frontal trough, but waves of low pres will

move along it. Northern fringe of precip with this feature will

push into N CT/RI/SE MA. Some model differences as to how far N

the precip will move. Leaned toward 12Z GFS, which was in between

the ECMWF and GGEM in placement and track of the precip.

Not expecting much QPF with this, with less than 0.1 inches

forecast overnight into early Wed morning. Expect precip to shift

offshore as H5 short wave pushes E across northern New England

during Wed. Have ended precip across S coastal areas by late

morning.

Lows Tue night will be in the 40s, except around 50 along the S

coast, while highs Wed will only range from the mid-upper 50s

across Cape Cod and the islands to the mid-upper 60s over the CT

valley.

Another weak short wave may bring isolated showers across the

higher terrain of N central and NW Mass by daybreak.

Thursday...

The weak short wave will cross northern New England Thursday

morning through midday, with the southern edge of light showers

possibly bringing widely scattered showers into N MA mainly N of

the Mass Pike. Only carried slight chance POPs with this feature.

Rather low confidence, though, as operational models have widely

varying solutions on this. At this point, expect seasonal

temperatures.

Depending upon track of this feature and how far N it will be, may

see sea breezes along the immediate coasts.

Friday-Saturday...

Models remain in good agreement in building H5 ridge toward the

Northeast U.S., bringing large surface high with it. Will see

more dry conditions with moderating temperatures.

Again..you're likely going to come up incorrect.by passively just glossing over operational runs

lol you crack me up...by passively glossing over op runs.

I'm sure you've spent hours going through all the available data with a fine-tooth comb to reach your point of view.

What is the constant fear some have with dry periods in the warm season? We've gone through "worrying and not what you want to see heading into the warm season" every summer for the past half decade, and yet vegetation still grows, people still have drinking water, and folks can re-fill their pools as much as they want.

What's the worry with warm and dry? Would it be better to be cold and wet?

Reservoirs around here are pretty much full

We will survive

Same here.  No hydro issues that I can see, even seasonal creeks are running OK. 

Even our "driest" years see more precip than most deserts do.  Besides that, we've had some pretty wet years of late, time for a return to the mean.

Not sure why, though the other site with 107, Chester, MA, had problems - their -35 state record low was tossed (much to my disappointment.  I like statistical anomalies, and having a state's record hot and record cold set at the same location certainly would qualify.)  However, that 107 is only 1-2F above what the 1911 heat wave brought in setting state records in all 3 NNE states, and though it was also hot then in SNE, it was less so than farther north.  The relatively modest minima in 1911 at those record setting NNE sites suggest (to me) that the dews were also modest, a typical NNE heat wave on W to NW downsloping winds.   Have there been any serious questions about the validity of that New Bedford reading?

The airport only had a high of 99 or 100...if you assume they hit the century mark in between hourlies of 99. TAN had 102, FMH 95, HYA 96/97, PYM 99, UUU 98

Lol it rained so much this Month everything is greening up superfast,soils are wet, more rain tonight, rain on Thursday. What a joke

Lush green-up around here.

Personally speaking, I would risk some yard damage for a week or two of desert dry. Give me some daytime temp/dews of 80/40 and I am in heaven.

Yes . This. That's what dry patterns cause problems with. Yet the talk inevitably turns to water supplies

My yard is rocky so I need frequent drinks. The rock under my soil fries the grass. It also gets quite a bit of sun. For me, I enjoy the rain.

Lush green-up around here.

Personally speaking, I would risk some yard damage for a week or two of desert dry. Give me some daytime temp/dews of 80/40 and I am in heaven.

This week was perfect, beautiful weather and a drink. explosion of lushness. Lawns go dormant every year in July August but we will hear the drought talk all summer long. I have had 6.86 inches of rain since April 1. Dry periods happen every summer. The difference between drought and dry is so misunderstood. By August after mowing every week I look forward to the dormant period.Its only grass anyways

The airport only had a high of 99 or 100...if you assume they hit the century mark in between hourlies of 99. TAN had 102, FMH 95, HYA 96/97, PYM 99, UUU 98

Assuming the New Bedford AP, as Logan hit 102. Back when I was getting hard copy New England climo data, New Bedford often reported the highest avg temps for the region. I just figured the obs site was just far enough from saltwater to avoid the stronger sea breeze, and in some flat, windless spot.

From BTV:

Long range: 

We start to lose the persistent cyclonic flow for the late
week/early weekend period, with a resulting moderating trend in
temps toward more seasonable levels. Expect to see dry conditions
the rest of the extended range period with mostly clear to partly
cloudy skies each day. By the weekend, highs warm into the mid 70s
with mid 40s to lower 50s for evening lows.  Oops, just checked in with DIT.  Pure heat on the way.

Archived