joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
disMay Pattern Disco

CoastalWx

• Replies 982
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flower pots, beds, lawn etc. It gets to be a pain if you need to do it frequently.

You can get watering systems that will do that automatically.  They connect to your faucet and use soaking hoses, feeder lines, etc.  They connect to a rain gauge and water automatically.  Just connect it to a sprinkler system for the lawn.  Yeah it's a one time investment but you set it and forget it. 

Thankfully I don't worry about that....I'm generally OK.

Invigorating day, worked 17 hrs yesterday,was muggy outside at the wedding but man today is very refreshing. Could use one of these albeit warmer every 3 days in the summer to sweep away the mank.

I agree and thankfully we generally do.  We rarely have long stretches without some kind of cold fropa.  May not like this but I get a smattering of nights with lows in the 40s every summer (15 of them between June and August) that sweep the house out.

You can give them water no?

Unless the drought gets so bad nothing comes out of the faucet I guess.

Yeah I'm not talking drought....just saying the drier periods  get to be a PITA to remember watering given everything else going on in life. I have window boxes/pots etc that need manual watering.

Yeah I'm not talking drought....just saying the drier periods get to be a PITA to remember watering given everything else going on in life. I have window boxes/pots etc that need manual watering.

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm not a big gardener but my wife is and I end up watering it all summer. Not a big deal to me though, don't pay for water and standing outside for a half hour with a hose and a micro-brew after work...I actually found it relaxing in a way last summer.

And I know you aren't really worried about it...your tone is different than the dire talk about what can happen if it doesn't rain for 7 days. We know who takes their lawn serious enough that a 1-2" monthly rainfall deficit might as well mean people are dying of thirst in the streets ;).

What I don't get is the folks who when they get the wet pattern but it's cool, they hate it and moan...then when they get the high heat it tends to go dry, and that's also a problem. It's sort of lose-lose unless we go pure tropical which isn't necessarily New England's thing.

Thats an above normal look with ridging building into the East.

"building" implies a differential - you're looking at the anomaly of the mean with that product, and doesn't say whether that mean is descending or rising - you have no idea if that is a 'building ridge', or not

that's one..

second, even if so, that is not an above normal look.   Why do you think that? 

I'm asking because it is pretty clear you are missing an overwhelming/glaring aspect of that flow construction that is NOT a warm look. I'm testing to see if you even know what that is? 

it's no shame if you don't; you're not a formally trained weather personnel.  I'm happy to explain what you are missing if you don't -

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm not a big gardener but my wife is and I end up watering it all summer. Not a big deal to me though, don't pay for water and standing outside for a half hour with a hose and a micro-brew after work...I actually found it relaxing in a way last summer.

And I know you aren't really worried about it...your tone is different than the dire talk about what can happen if it doesn't rain for 7 days. We know who takes their lawn serious enough that a 1-2" monthly rainfall deficit might as well mean people are dying of thirst in the streets ;).

What I don't get is the folks who when they get the wet pattern but it's cool, they hate it and moan...then when they get the high heat it tends to go dry, and that's also a problem. It's sort of lose-lose unless we go pure tropical which isn't necessarily New England's thing.

You use folks as if it is more than one person.  :lol:   

I enjoy gardening with a nice IPA as well. Ha, funny you said that. If it were to get dry, see ya later grass...I'll focus on the plants. Sometimes I wonder if I created a monster when it comes to gardening...but it is relaxing.

Anyways, Tippy is right...there is a bit of a problem with those maps.  :)

"building" implies a differential - you're looking at the anomaly of the mean with that product, and doesn't say whether that mean is descending or rising - you have no idea if that is a 'building ridge', or not

that's one..

second, even if so, that is not an above normal look. Why do you think that?

I'm asking because it is pretty clear you are missing an overwhelming/glaring aspect of that flow construction that is NOT a warm look. I'm testing to see if you even know what that is?

it's no shame if you don't; you're not a formally trained weather personnel. I'm happy to explain what you are missing if you don't -

Its a west/SW flow overall so it's going to be a warm flow. It's probably a more humid look with a boundary either to our north or nearby. Do it's more a reflection of warm nights and what side of warm front we are on. But for Mem Day weekend itself.. There is some ridging

You use folks as if it is more than one person. :lol:

I enjoy gardening with a nice IPA as well. Ha, funny you said that. If it were to get dry, see ya later grass...I'll focus on the plants. Sometimes I wonder if I created a monster when it comes to gardening...but it is relaxing.

Anyways, Tippy is right...there is a bit of a problem with those maps. :)

Haha regarding the bolded, you know why ;).

But yeah, getting home from work at 5, cracking a cold one and stepping outside to play with my hose...what guy doesn't like that? lol.

Its a west/SW flow overall so it's going to be a warm flow. It's probably a more humid look with a boundary either to our north or nearby. Do it's more a reflection of warm nights and what side of warm front we are on. But for Mem Day weekend itself.. There is some ridging

If this were FAST 102, I'd give you C grade on that analysis for this pop-quiz.

You're missing a big confluence signal up in Canada, in your response.  I give you a C because although that confluence is very much presented in that product, there is no guarantee that it would instruct the boundary (which you are correct that a boundary would probably be nearly parallel to that flow in concept) to be south of us.  However, "boundary to our north or nearby" too much negates the possibility that the boundary would be forced S; which I suspect is because you either, 1) did not know to see for it, or 2) are filtering your perception of matters...

Fyi - confluence would promote the genesis of surface polar high ...home grown in Canada, and that would tend to arm to Ontario, and this is typically what happens on a chart that looks like that:

post-904-0-56560000-1463332137_thumb.jpg

But again .. this is a coarse representation of a "mean"  ... that front as annotated could certainly be N, though that is (as is) the lower likely result of this chart.  It is more likely that boundary would press, rim/wedge in underneath the westerlies by some distance. 

This pattern is actually a tasty ice look in winter... because it would promote a potential for longer duration overrunning... obviously NOT at this time of year - duh. but, a boundary with occasional waves and drab weather, sure. 

This is not a forecast... as I intimated before, this is (as always) of course an evolving situation for that time range.  We're just talking as is in that chart/product.

While we're at it ... I annotated the chart below to aide in identifying how Backdoor fronts are generated and forced to move SW ... apparently opposing the environmental flow as they do. 

Again, not a forecast... but just pulling a la-la range GFS chart for instructional purposes.

post-904-0-22404200-1463333506_thumb.jpg

Awesome posts Tip... sitting on a beach sipping rum and coke was like getting the popcorn ready for a little teaching moment there.

The high heights closer to the Maritimes doesn't do anything near what high heights in the Ohio Valley would mean. Plus I tend to think from a climo stand point, heights are pretty low on average getting into the Maritime region, as even in May there could be some cut off low parked there spinning, all of which is built into the climo normal heights.

Tippy doin' work. That was really helpful.

So, the original image implies a near normal regime with a risk of a BD in SNE?

not sure what you mean by "original image" - did you mean the first one of the two? 

assuming so ... no, the 2nd image is actually the BD. 

the first just discusses why that particular flow construct isn't necessarily an abundantly warm one here in New England.  the annotations I provided would be plausible (in general) given the mid levels over Canada.

If this were FAST 102, I'd give you C grade on that analysis for this pop-quiz.

You're missing a big confluence signal up in Canada, in your response. I give you a C because although that confluence is very much presented in that product, there is no guarantee that it would instruct the boundary (which you are correct that a boundary would probably be nearly parallel to that flow in concept) to be south of us. However, "boundary to our north or nearby" too much negates the possibility that the boundary would be forced S; which I suspect is because you either, 1) did not know to see for it, or 2) are filtering your perception of matters...

Fyi - confluence would promote the genesis of surface polar high ...home grown in Canada, and that would tend to arm to Ontario, and this is typically what happens on a chart that looks like that:

SYN1.jpg

But again .. this is a coarse representation of a "mean" ... that front as annotated could certainly be N, though that is (as is) the lower likely result of this chart. It is more likely that boundary would press, rim/wedge in underneath the westerlies by some distance.

This pattern is actually a tasty ice look in winter... because it would promote a potential for longer duration overrunning... obviously NOT at this time of year - duh. but, a boundary with occasional waves and drab weather, sure.

This is not a forecast... as I intimated before, this is (as always) of course an evolving situation for that time range. We're just talking as is in that chart/product.

Holy crap I was thinking that earlier but I didn't want to be wrong

Archived