• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Model Mezzanine - April(Fools) General Model Discussion

FXWX

Definitely more realistic bust up here for Mon-Tue, but otherwise it was a trend toward meh for NNE.

Lucy has the football teed up but NNE'ers won't even run at it anymore.  They know the football won't be there when they swing at it.

LeanHealthcare_Leadership.jpg

Next winter Lucy will have to throw the football at us because no one is going to attempt to kick it, lol.

In all reality, the 6z GFS looked better for at least some accumulations in NNE from the Mon Night/Tues event.

• Replies 792
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just some quick intuitive hedges considering current model layout.....but I expect both events to essentially trend toward ennui.

Sunday has been overrated from the get-go imho....just seems like some wind, and perhaps some showers ending as squalls.

Monday night and Tuesday may be advisory is we're lucky, but seems to have "nuisance" written all over it.

Cold, windy spring appeal...and dry for the most part.

Just some quick intuitive hedges considering current model layout.....but I expect both events to essentially trend toward ennui.

Sunday has been overrated from the get-go imho....just seems like some wind, and perhaps some showers ending as squalls.

Monday night and Tuesday may be advisory is we're lucky, but seems to have "nuisance" written all over it.

Cold, windy spring appeal...and dry for the most part.

This setup strongly favors eastern New England. PV in the eastern CONUS, large PNA ridge with positive NAO and active Northern stream.. Sounds akin to winter 2015 to me. Going to strongly favor far eastern NE for Sunday and especially midweek.

Sunday was never about more than the wind in terms of headline material, at least from what the modeling has been indicating on the surface.  There are fundamentals recognizable there that could lead to more, but that's speculative.  

Snow in the air gets increasingly more rare by day moving deeper into this next month (of course..) and for that, any snow at all should come along with its own merit as far as that goes.  There should be snow in the air, and that much instability combined with huge wind max translating along frontogen physics should produce interesting banded bursting amid all that bluster.  It's also fantastic for the degree of weather change (sensible) with huge thickness plummet combined with all that wind.  These are all notables and gee - it's not always about whether cocaine is falling from the sky people.   

As for your drug, I wouldn't give up hope on getting a fix next Tuesday... There's enough presentation among the entire GEFs suite of ensembles for that.  One thing that also stands out to me is that the flow is trying to slow down over all.  All features in the flow seems to be slowing in there longitude translation speeds.  This sort of allows that clipper to a belated departure and may linger it's affect on the area somewhat.  

The extended still intrigues me (not that anyone asked...).  I still see a period there were vesitigial cold will yet to be completely exhausted and the erstwhile height gradient tries to relax. It's probably why we are seeing some of these extended operational versions trying to close something off in the E.  I'd watch that - nothing specific but a plausible arena nonetheless.  The majority of the GEFs members also show significant amplitude entering the E, D's 8 through 11

Really tight thermal gradient on the Monday night event. Euro is basically no snow here in CT - but probably advisory amounts about 5-10 miles north of the border.

Would be nice to get this whole thing to shift south a bit. 

"thermal gradient" ??

is it really not cold enough to snow in CT Monday night?   ...that seems odd considering the magnitude of the blast sunday night.  Interesting.  

Lol box mentions 12-09-05 in the discussion

SATURDAY NIGHT/SUN MORNING ... INTERESTING WEATHER POSSIBLE AS

VIGOROUS POLAR JET WITH POTENTIAL TROP FOLD IN RESPONSE TO ARCTIC

SHORT WAVE/PV ANOMALY. THIS RESULTS IN CLIPPER LOW RAPIDLY

INTENSIFYING ALONG THE POLAR FRONT AS IT CROSSES SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND.  VERY STRONG SYNOPTIC SCALE LIFT WILL ACCOMPANY THIS

FEATURE ALONG WITH STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES OF 7-8C/KM!

SUFFICIENT MOISTURE WITHIN THE COLUMN FOR THIS INSTABILITY TO BE

REALIZED IN THE FORM OF ROBUST RAIN/SNOW SQUALLS ALONG WITH LOW PROB

OF THUNDER! COULD BE SOME SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ALONG WITH GUSTY WINDS

ALONG AND BEHIND THE POLAR FRONT. WHILE THIS TROP FOLD EVENT WILL

LIKELY NOT BE AS INTENSE AS THE 12/9/2005 CASE...IT BEARS WATCHING

FOR AT LEAST SOME POTENTIAL WEATHER IMPACTS.

What happened weather wise on that date?

The weather event of my life.

Chrisrotary12, on 31 Mar 2016 - 10:18 AM, said:

SATURDAY NIGHT/SUN MORNING ... INTERESTING WEATHER POSSIBLE AS

VIGOROUS POLAR JET WITH POTENTIAL TROP FOLD IN RESPONSE TO ARCTIC

SHORT WAVE/PV ANOMALY. THIS RESULTS IN CLIPPER LOW RAPIDLY

INTENSIFYING ALONG THE POLAR FRONT AS IT CROSSES SOUTHERN NEW

ENGLAND.  VERY STRONG SYNOPTIC SCALE LIFT WILL ACCOMPANY THIS

FEATURE ALONG WITH STEEP MID LEVEL LAPSE RATES OF 7-8C/KM!

SUFFICIENT MOISTURE WITHIN THE COLUMN FOR THIS INSTABILITY TO BE

REALIZED IN THE FORM OF ROBUST RAIN/SNOW SQUALLS ALONG WITH LOW PROB

OF THUNDER! COULD BE SOME SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ALONG WITH GUSTY WINDS

ALONG AND BEHIND THE POLAR FRONT. WHILE THIS TROP FOLD EVENT WILL

LIKELY NOT BE AS INTENSE AS THE 12/9/2005 CASE...IT BEARS WATCHING

FOR AT LEAST SOME POTENTIAL WEATHER IMPACTS.

The weather event of my life.

Which was??

there's nothing wrong with mentioning 12/9/2005  ... it was purely because to most, that particularly event stands out as the best example of what a trop fold event is/can do/for description sake.

they are not saying Sunday will result in 12 -15 " in the interior, with 100 mph wind gusts on the Cape.

relax

Whiteout with up to 100mph winds on the cape wont happen like that but the date brings alot of smiles

The most dynamic weather I've experienced in my lifetime over a 3 hour period. Light rain with snow mixing in as I was leaving Norwood late morning/early afternoon. While driving south on 24/495 down towards Wareham the sun appeared along with blue sky, with temps still in the 50's. I arrived home at the sight of a gigantic rainbow and nearly calm winds, but within 30 minutes the temps crashed about 20 degrees and whiteout conditions ensued, with winds over 80-90mph for a short time.

It was pretty good here but eastern areas really got nailed

The most dynamic weather I've experienced in my lifetime over a 3 hour period. Light rain with snow mixing in as I was leaving Norwood late morning/early afternoon. While driving south on 24/495 down towards Wareham the sun appeared along with blue sky, with temps still in the 50's. I arrived home at the sight of a gigantic rainbow and nearly calm winds, but within 30 minutes the temps crashed about 20 degrees and whiteout conditions ensued, with windows over 80-90mph for a short term.

Which was??

https://ams.confex.com/ams/pdfpapers/126185.pdf

For my personal experience, I left high school that day at 2 pm.  As I walked out of the building it was raining.  By the time I got to the bus it was sleeting.  2 mins later as the bus was leaving it flipped to snow.

5 mins later the bus was doing 5 miles an hour in complete white out conditions.  15 mins later I finally got off the bus and had to walk in the middle of the road to get home because you couldn't see 5 feet in front of you.   During the walk home, cloud to ground lightning began occurring every few seconds or so.  It truly was a thunderstorm spitting snow at 5" per hour or more and this continued for roughly an hour and half.  During which we picked up 10" of snow and I could not see my neighbors house across the street.

Also, winds on the Cape approached 100 mph.

This setup strongly favors eastern New England. PV in the eastern CONUS, large PNA ridge with positive NAO and active Northern stream.. Sounds akin to winter 2015 to me. Going to strongly favor far eastern NE for Sunday and especially midweek.

I'm going to wager to say that I'll receive less than 5" of aggregate snowfall from both events.

Archived