Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

Ha!

This goes right into the winter grade... as has been happening all season.

Whiffed to the south, followed by a cutter in which the St Lawrence Valley/Montreal (northern suburbs) and northward through interior Quebec...gets crushed.  From "the river north" up there in Quebec has been getting slaughtered since early February.  Down here it has featured constant rainers...or 1-3" wet snow to rain events.  Here's another in the long line of missed to the south/east and then missed to the north/west.  You almost wonder how it ever was able to actually snow here:

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll stick with a C+. Temps really hurt. No snow anywhere near the holidays. April definitely helped raise the grade.

I hate when there is no snow around the holidays....though we did get that sleet bomb in the interior right after Xmas which stuck around for a while actually.

But the two weeks leading up to Xmas inclusive was awful...that will always leave a mark on my subjective grading. I penalized last year for being awful during that stretch too.

I hate when there is no snow around the holidays....though we did get that sleet bomb in the interior right after Xmas which stuck around for a while actually.

But the two weeks leading up to Xmas inclusive was awful...that will always leave a mark on my subjective grading. I penalized last year for being awful during that stretch too.

Yeah. I mean it's sometimes much harder to get snow that early down this way near the holidays, so it probably hurts your grade more than mine...but disappointing to have nothing really through 12/28.

these kinds of winters where you get these 1-2 week stretches of decent storms and cold spaced far apart are pretty awful. Blizzard was a great storm, that week was deep winter. the two storms in Feb including the total tree demolisher cement storm in Feb were excellent. After winter ended last weeks two storms were very special. All in all not the worst year but at the bottom for rankings. could have been much worse.

I'll give April a few more points since it's usually one of those months where I just want it to end. Kind of like September. Having two snow events makes the month go by quicker and adds a special feeling towards it. Verbatim I'm probably a few BN snow wise, but April snow helps.

What in the hell is an F+ or F- ? An F is an F.

In a subjective grading system, like evaluating the quality of one's winter, it's whatever the grader chooses to make it - logic is optional. In my (sort of) traditional numerical system - 4,3,2,1,0 - an F gets zero and F+ gets 0.33. I'd never stooped to F- until this past December, which had such awful temps (for a lover of winter wx) that I decided it deserved a negative score (-0.33) as it actively detracted from the season as a whole. I'd add a caution against taking anyone's grading all that seriously, beginning with mine.

Something reserved for that 1 in 100 year ratter.

Like say ALB's warmest and least snowiest met winter on record since like 1860. So in like 150 years this past winter got the double whammy of records for snow lovers.

Likewise, I give bonus points (above the A+ level) for months that set new records for cold or snow at the Farmington co-op, which has records back thru 1893. This has occurred 4 times since I moved to my present location, March 2001 and April 2007 for snow, March 2014 and Feb 2015 for cold.

I'll raise mine from D+ to C-. Still a crappy winter temp, and snow retention wise, with all of Dec. and most of Feb. missing in action.

The reason I'm raising my grade is mainly because of the April 1st - April 4th period which featured some impressive cold and accumulating snowfall.

And there were wintry periods including early Jan. - Jan 20th or so, then Feb. 5th - Feb. 15th, then around the Equinox with some snow and cold.

Archived