Newest Member
    Toothache
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NOT boring.

:lol: hey it's subjective I get it. But man there's something special about the big storms. I just appreciate the magnitude and the rarity of those beasts. I feel like people, not saying this applies to Ginxy, but people have been getting spoiled with our 2 foot storms recently. I hope they realize that probably will end soon. Maybe a few years of 6-8" max storms will bring some down to Earth.

:lol: hey it's subjective I get it. But man there's something special about the big storms. I just appreciate the magnitude and the rarity of those beasts. I feel like people, not saying this applies to Ginxy, but people have been getting spoiled with our 2 foot storms recently. I hope they realize that probably will end soon. Maybe a few years of 6-8" max storms will bring some down to Earth.

if you had an historical snow storm equal to April 97 in October would you include it in your winter rating?

Powderfreak will be happier than a pig in sh** when he gets like a 14-16" synoptic storm up there...and that isn't even rare there. :lol:

He's going to really enjoy the crash back to earth for coastal MA and CT. It's funny how polarizing the past few winters have been for the two areas. Hopefully near me, we'll get away with it...just like we were far enough east for the coastal bombs...hopefully we are far enough inland for the next great interior winter....ala 2000-2001.

if you had an historical snow storm equal to April 97 in October would you include it in your winter rating?

I definitely would...I probably wouldn't weight it as high as a Mar 31-Apr 1 dated storm, but I'd definitely include it.

It would be bette if it happened at the end of a crappy winter.....76-77 was a good winter.

What was interesting about 96-97 was the fact that December, March/April delivered,little else did.

We probably aren't going to agree on this but that winter was way way better vs 11-12 or 15-16.

agree....even where in lived in bristol ct the second part of the dec double puch produced tssn and ten inches of paste and rates that hit 2 inches plus/hr briefly and the april fools event produced over a foot of snow....we had 48 inches and two events was half of it.....still nothing like eastern zones

I believe the original question of what grade to give the Winter of 15-16 is a trick question.  There was no winter of 16.  We went straight from November to April.

I can not remember an event this "season" in which we got over 2 inches and did not flip to rain as part of the event.

Powderfreak will be happier than a pig in sh** when he gets like a 14-16" synoptic storm up there...and that isn't even rare there. :lol:

He's going to really enjoy the crash back to earth for coastal MA and CT. It's funny how polarizing the past few winters have been for the two areas. Hopefully near me, we'll get away with it...just like we were far enough east for the coastal bombs...hopefully we are far enough inland for the next great interior winter....ala 2000-2001.

It's going to be horrible reading those posts out of anger about how snow is back where it belongs. :lol:

I believe the original question of what grade to give the Winter of 15-16 is a trick question.  There was no winter of 16.  We went straight from November to April.

I can not remember an event this "season" in which we got over 2 inches and did not flip to rain as part of the event.

Your snow total is amazing to me. To have a seasonal total of 36" at nearly 1300 feet in northern VT in late March is ridiculous. I'd at least feel safe to say you won't see that again in your lifetime.

Your snow total is amazing to me. To have a seasonal total of 36" at nearly 1300 feet in northern VT in late March is ridiculous. I'd at least feel safe to say you won't see that again in your lifetime.

This winter is setting the new low bar.

Like Oceanstwx said... when John's weather in Pittsburgh, NH at like 1,500ft on the Canadian border has a max depth of 13" for the season, you know you are in uncharted territory. 

That's also in the range of my max depth at 1,550ft at the base of Mansfield.  I'll have to check but its either 13" or 14" back in January. 

This winter is setting the new low bar.

Like Oceanstwx said... when John's weather in Pittsburgh, NH at like 1,500ft on the Canadian border has a max depth of 13" for the season, you know you are in uncharted territory. 

That's also in the range of my max depth at 1,550ft at the base of Mansfield.  I'll have to check but its either 13" or 14" back in January. 

Man, if you get a train of multiple 6-10" SWFEs next season in a 3 week span...that's gonna seem like a record breaking winter up there after this season's disaster.

:lol: Yup...when we finally get that 12"+ event it'll be awesome.  I have to look back at last winter, but I think my only warning criteria event that winter was in December 2014. 

To think that a few miles away from Vermont's highest peak in my backyard we went the entire 2015 year without a warning event and if it doesn't happen early next season we might squeeze in two full years without a warning event.

Really think about that...the possibility of two full years without a warning event for a spot that averages 120-125" (which now probably is like 115").  I bet in that time BOS area has had literally 7-8 warning events.  Even in this crappy winter they had what, 3?

Man, if you get a train of multiple 6-10" SWFEs next season in a 3 week span...that's gonna seem like a record breaking winter up there after this season's disaster.

That's going to be the fringe benefit of this winter... we will be very easily pleased going forward.  All  we have to do is not smoke cirrus on multiple coastal lows in a row, lol.

Heck even like a normal 40-inch January (shouldn't be that hard to do 10"/week up here) will feel like an all-out blitz.

:lol: Yup...when we finally get that 12"+ event it'll be awesome.  I have to look back at last winter, but I think my only warning criteria event that winter was in December 2014. 

To think that a few miles away from Vermont's highest peak in my backyard we went the entire 2015 year without a warning event and if it doesn't happen early next season we might squeeze in two full years without a warning event.

Really think about that...the possibility of two full years without a warning event for a spot that averages 120-125" (which now probably is like 115").  I bet in that time BOS area has had literally 7-8 warning events.  Even in this crappy winter they had what, 3?

Good guess...7 total.

Amazingly, BOS had only 4 warning events last winter....but all 4 were over 16" including 2 of them over 23"...lol. There were a ton of 2-5" snowfalls in between...BOS was like mini-Mansfield last year.

They did have 3 warning events this winter somehow.

D. Unless we get a foot tonight and the. It goes to C-. I suspect that's not in the cards. Strangely enough, it didn't bother me in the least.

It didn't bother me either.  Five years ago I'd be tying a noose and throwing it over a ceiling rafter.  Today?  ehhh .... no big deal.  

Having said that, it has to be an F.  Few interesting systems and 50% snowfall

I never pull the plug on snow until April 15th. That is the historical drop dead date for worth while snow for my area/elevation. There has not been anything (that I can find) more than 1-2" after that until you go way back to 1887.

Assuming no more (sig/worthy) snow this winter will get a solid F. Currently it has my lowest seasonal total by comfortable margin in 20 years of data here.

I might still hate 1998-99 more. That was just awful here. First 4" event was on March 6 :axe: and the seasonal total was saved from all time infamy by the mid March event. 

I never pull the plug on snow until April 15th. That is the historical drop dead date for worth while snow for my area/elevation. There has not been anything (that I can find) more than 1-2" after that until you go way back to 1887.

Assuming no more (sig/worthy) snow this winter will get a solid F. Currently it has my lowest seasonal total by comfortable margin in 20 years of data here.

I might still hate 1998-99 more. That was just awful here. First 4" event was on March 6 :axe: and the seasonal total was saved from all time infamy by the mid March event.

What did you get in this

May-1977-Mass-snowstorm.png

My subjective grading is based on a (subjective) scoring system that at least compares temps/snowfall to previous winters.  I also adjust for things like snowpack depth and retention, or how so many of this season's 2-4" snowfalls were washed away within 4-6 hours following the accum.  Since March is, on balance, a winter month (especially for padding the SDDs, in a normal winter), it gets 20% of my total score, with DJF splitting 70%, Novie 4% and April 6%.  If October or May has significant snowfall, I'd include that in my overall subjective adjustment.

Since I've been away March 15-29, I can only estimate (until reconstructing from nearby co-op data next week), using cocorahs and posts on here.  March 1-14 was +4 for temp and had one 4" snowfall ending with significant zr/ra - as usual.  It looks like the 2nd half was near normal for temps, with a couple of 1"-or-less sleety events and a near whiff on the 3/21 storm.  Assuming April is C-level for both temp and snowfall, 15-16 will grade out as my worst winter of 18 here, taking the crown-of-slush from 09-10.  It's very close to that earlier winter's mild temps, with significantly less snowfall and SDDs.  2005-06 is the nearest comp for snowfall, but was colder even though it had a lot fewer SDDs. 

Celebrate the new champion!!

Archived