• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

The picture that DIT posted of his deck looks like a mammoth amount of snow to me :(

Yeah on a return scale this is probably more anamolous than Boston's 2011-2012 total, especially after looking at those Mansfield snow depth days.

New England's new worst winter ever given the amount of F/F- grades in here haha.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah on a return scale this is probably more anamolous than Boston's 2011-2012 total, especially after looking at those Mansfield snow depth days.

New England's new worst winter ever given the amount of F/F- grades in here haha.

This doesn't even reach an F.  It's like withdrawing from a class after the drop/add deadline passes.

I haven't live here long enough to get a true gauge  against past winters, but  I would go D-/F.

29.5" total--most likely top 5 lowest all time..if not all time lowest in this region.  5" peak depth (that sublimated to 2" in a blink of an eye) This could be the first snowless March in this area going back 50+years (assuming no more snow)

I know there was some talk about the bad 1980's, so I wanted to check local CO-OP data to see how the valley/west slopes of the greens did here in SVT.

80-81-   89"

81-82- 133"

82-83-  88"

83-84-  91"

84-85-  61"

85-86-  53"

86-87- 120"

87-88-  95"

88-89-  51"

1980s average- 87".   Some stinkers in there, but nothing below 50" and nothing like this year. As we know,15-16 definitely an anomalously bad year for the western areas.

Have a feeling I'm gonna have the highest grade on here.

You should, you are probably the highest relative to normal in snowfall. Also some may disagree with it but it's also worth factoring in how you do relative to other areas. Given this winter was an epic fail of record proportions for a large area of the New England landmass (12-24" in the Berkshires, East Slopes, SVT, northern ORH hills, Monadnocks and everyone north also sucked for starters), coming out with a respectable winter should also boost the grade. Or at least it gives a more satisfying winter.

We went over that last season when folks with 75+ inches were giving lower grades because of what other areas out east received but it does play a roll in your satisfaction of a winter.

You should, you are probably the highest relative to normal in snowfall. Also some may disagree with it but it's also worth factoring in how you do relative to other areas. Given this winter was an epic fail of record proportions for a large area of the New England landmass (12-24" in the Berkshires, East Slopes, SVT, northern ORH hills, Monadnocks and everyone north also sucked for starters), coming out with a respectable winter should also boost the grade. Or at least it gives a more satisfying winter.

We went over that last season when folks with 75+ inches were giving lower grades because of what other areas out east received but it does play a roll in your satisfaction of a winter.

B+

I agree with the above. For me it's more frustrating to get higher seasonal snowfall but ending up busting low on many storms when everyone else is kicking a**. For example: Dec 03, Jan 05, Feb 15 blizzards were all annoying/ busted low. Also got really lucky compared to the majority of the rest of New England.

Positives:

• 2 Warning level events that verified, each with 10"+ (14.4/10.4)/ 2 Advisory events that verified 4"+ (4.1/4.8)
  • Most storms increased in snow amount/intensity with model runs leading up to the storm, positive busts. Also some of the highest totals in CT occurred in New Haven County
  • Extreme cold with well below zero temperatures and wind chills approaching -30, Wind Chill Warning verified. Some of the coldest weather I've ever experienced. Lots of days w/ highs <32F.
  • Most snow storms were daytime storms with 2-3"/hr rates
  • Roughly 125% of average snowfall with 37.5" season-to-date

Negatives:

• No sustained cold. 2nd warmest winter on record. Ski season was awful.
  • Lots of cutters and rain throughout the winter.
  • No snow throughout the holidays. Christmas/New Years it didn't feel like winter at all. I enjoy front loaded winters better than the ones on the tail end.
  • Snow pack/retention was horrid most snow from storms melted quickly.

An F winter would easily be 2001-02. Doesn't get worse than that, at least 11-12 had 2 big storms (Oct, Jan). 01-02 was a single digit winter (7" on the season) with 1 adv event (that i missed) and every day managed to get above 32 for the whole winter. An A+ is 2010-11 style.... crazy deep snow pack with storms 12-18-30.5" back to back. It's subjective so some who love snow pack may have given it a C or D.

C-

I found last winter more frustrating and we had a good February storm where we came close to double digits. A nocturnal severe event and plenty of mild days to enjoy outside.

:lol:

Just illustrates how a winter grade is more based on what's going on around you than what actually happens in your backyard.

F, this winter blew for western mass. Couldn't even trailer my snowmobile to the Berkshires once this winter.

First of all, if I was trailering I would not go to the Berks.  So. VT is just as close!  If you don't mind a little longer drive then hop on 91 to 89 and head to this area.  Of course either way you were boned this year.  Had to go way, way north to ride, Canada or northern ME had the most reliable conditions but there were small amounts to be had in the NEK and the Pittsburgh and Rangely areas.  Piss poor overall though.

I really don't think you can give anything but an F for the huge area of land northwest of BDL-ORH-PWM-BGR.

Just a total failure for the majority of New England.

well for me i have seen less snow and the surprise last minute ana frontal/whatever it was low pressure was momentarily refreshing and from here south/east there were at least some brief 2/hr rates but it was bootleg to some degree as the difference between cold surfaces and paved was ridiculous for mid winter....the brief cold spell was epic with wind!! that for me was the diff between f and d-, yesterday solidified the d-

but just nw of here...utter and total f

I really don't think you can give anything but an F for the huge area of land northwest of BDL-ORH-PWM-BGR.

Just a total failure for the majority of New England.

there are parts of nne south of you in valleys that do not avg much more snow than me, those areas are seldom spoke of....i wonder if some of those places are well below 20 inches

there are parts of nne south of you in valleys that do not avg much more snow than me, those areas are seldom spoke of....i wonder if some of those places are well below 20 inches

I doubt there are many, if any places in VT, even the lowest of low valley downsloping locations that average less than 60", but I dont know that for a fact. Maybe PF or someone would have better statewide knowledge.  It think DDH is probably the least snowiest place in the state and they average probably mid 60s" I would guess. DDH doesnt keep snow records, but I would guess they are around 12-14" for this year

3 CoCoRaHs stations for 15-16:

Rutland--VT-RT-7           19.5"

W Rutland VT-RT-1        18.3"

Rockingham VT-WH-17  17.5"

Im not sure how much you average there, but Im sure RUT probably avearges a good amount more than you. Maybe you are closer to Rockingham/Brattleboro in averages which is in the Eastern part of the state in the valley. Im not sure how much those eastern valleys average?( I would still think mid 60s")  For comparison Im in a valley on the western slopes and average around 80"

But back to your orignal point, yes, there are a good amount of areas below 20" this year.

I don't know how much you average, but I can't see anywhere in Vermont averaging less than 65".  The only chances would be immediately over the border into VT from MA on I-91...I'm not sure what Mass in that area would average.  The other area would be DDH/Bennington area below 700ft heading towards NY State. 

I'm sure there are Champlain Valley (lower valley in Rutland County south) and possibly towards I-91 corridor that are under 20-24" on the season.

Edit: Basically I'd agree with backedgeapproaching as he wrote pretty much the same thing, ha. 

:lol:

Just illustrates how a winter grade is more based on what's going on around you than what actually happens in your backyard.

If I got one more picture from Scooter with him nipple deep in snow I was going to smash my phone with a hammer.

Pretty boring winter for me - but I'm also not a snowpack fetish person.

I'd give ORH a D...could be revised to a C- if there's another decent even in April.

For snowfall, this season's total of 37.2" is about a 1 in 6 result...quite bad. The warmth was very real as this is a top 5 warmest winter...though it was mitigated a bit by a historical cold shot where ORH produced their single coldest reading in almost 6 decades and their coldest February reading in over 7 decades. So that counts for something.

There was also a 12" snow event for the 6th consecutive season. You have to go back to 2009-2010 when they failed to have one.

I would reserve the grade of F for a winter like the late 1980s or early 1990s when there were no double digit snow events and no real notable arctic outbreaks...sans the amazing month of Dec 1989.

Someone should figure out which official/COOP site has been the most std devs below normal.

I'm not sure there is an official coop with good data in that area...but I have to imagine the absolute worst spot was somewhere in S VT at elevation where they probably average over 150" per year and got like 30-40", lol. The raw deficit isn't so amazing as the absolute shear improbable nature of that total.

Some highlands in W MA and E NY are no doubt in a similar boat.

Archived