Newest Member
    joxey
Grading Winter 2015-2016 Retention policy in effect

HoarfrostHubb

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

winter for you is whenever snow falls.

Right...we all grade "winter" differently...if you want to bound it by months or dates, then specify "met winter" or "astro winter"...otherwise, many people such as myself will include the cold season as whole...whenever it is cold enough to snow.

Right...we all grade "winter" differently...if you want to bound it by months or dates, then specify "met winter" or "astro winter"...otherwise, many people such as myself will include the cold season as whole...whenever it is cold enough to snow.

so guess the winter grade threads should not be posted until May. I hope April saves this winter I still wont change my grade. Perhaps you should bound winter by first snow last snow then grade it. IMHO May is not winter, October is not winter snow or no.

so guess the winter grade threads should not be posted until May. I hope April saves this winter I still wont change my grade. Perhaps you should bound winter by first snow last snow then grade it. IMHO May is not winter, October is not winter snow or no.

Well i certainly specified that if April gives a big snow, then I'd revise my grade upward...so yeah, I did exactly that.

Late March and early April snow isn't that uncommon. October snow is. So using the Oct 2011 snow as some sort of synonymous comparison to Jerry's Mar 31-Apr 1, 1997 example doesn't really pass the smell test to me. A 12"+ snowstorm in October may not happen again for 300 years....but it definitely will happen multiple times in the next few decades in late March/April.

That was an out of season snowfall that didn't save winter at all. It was an epic snowstorm like Oct 11 was. I guarantee no one considers 11/12 a great winter because of Oct 11

That saved winter. 3/31 is much more into the cold season than pre-halloween. I don't know how that doesn't go into grading that winter, even by just a little bit. That winter also had some fun events. December 1996 (part 1 had TSSN even south of BOS) surprise Jan 1997 fluff bomb near BOS.  Even an early March storm that gave near 5" when it was supposed  to be 1-2"and rain where I was.

That saved winter. 3/31 is much more into the cold season than pre-halloween. I don't know how that doesn't go into grading that winter, even by just a little bit. That winter also had some fun events. December 1996 (part 1 had TSSN even south of BOS) surprise Jan 1997 fluff bomb near BOS. Even an early March storm that gave near 5" when it was supposed to be 1-2"and rain where I was.

why did you grade already then

I'd have to give it a D if I had to rate it, at least for MBY  It wasn't a complete failure in that we had that one record breaking brutal cold outbreak and I have had a little over 50% of my seasonal snowfall.  Two other winters were warmer and 8 had less snowfall than this one so it's hard to say that it was the worst and total failure.  It fails on consistency and overall wintry appeal due to the high number of cutters and warm stretches.  Regionally I'd give it a D- if I had to curve it but in all honesty it's probably an F because people couldn't really do winter activities in winter.

I loved the nostalgia factor in reminding me of winters growing up into the 80s!

FWIW, taking both Oct snows out of it, I still had more snow in 11/12 than this year (so far).  Not giving credit to this year for the occasional Lucy/Football runs.

Haha those runs almost made this winter worse.  I know some graded higher as we had things to track this winter but after a while it actually became worse than having nothing to track, lol.

how can you bump winter up from a Fall/spring snowstorm? Peru Mass had 32 in 11,how much did Boston have? I mean unreal storm but out of season.

This response isn't necessarily to you Ginxy... but I think a spring snowstorm would have a bigger impact in minds of people than a fall snowstorm. 

They do the same thing for the annual total but there's something about leaving a crappy winter with a great taste in your mouth after getting bombed with 30" of snow late in the season.  Getting 30" early in the season just raises your expectations for the winter so when it craps out it probably actually is more disappointing. 

This winter would get itself out of F- if it delivered 30" tomorrow.  If we got 30" in October and then nothing after that I don't think it would change my grade, haha.  But ending the season on a high note does have some redeeming value.

This response isn't necessarily to you Ginxy... but I think a spring snowstorm would have a bigger impact in minds of people than a fall snowstorm. 

They do the same thing for the annual total but there's something about leaving a crappy winter with a great taste in your mouth after getting bombed with 30" of snow late in the season.  Getting 30" early in the season just raises your expectations for the winter so when it craps out it probably actually is more disappointing. 

This winter would get itself out of F- if it delivered 30" tomorrow.  If we got 30" in October and then nothing after that I don't think it would change my grade, haha.  But ending the season on a high note does have some redeeming value.

Late March and early April are also not nearly as distanced from the heart of snow climo season as October is as some of us pointed out. Hell, many years we still have full snow cover in late March.

I get that he doesn't give much or any weight to snowfall in late March or early April...that's fine. Some of us do, however. Different strokes for different folks. Some view winter as mostly a failure if there's a 30" snowstorm in February and it melts in 4 days...others love big snowstorms in otherwise warm winters.  I even will give some weight to a 17" snowstorm in October...but not as much weight as I'd give it if it occurred in late March or early April. Sometimes it snows 10"+ on top of a big snowpack in late March (see March 30-31, 2001)...sometimes we get snowpack falling on top of fresh snowpack in April too...see April 7-8, 1996 and then April 9-10, 1996 two days later. Stuff like that will absolutely help my grade for a winter.

Late March and early April are also not nearly as distanced from the heart of snow climo season as October is as some of us pointed out. Hell, many years we still have full snow cover in late March.

That's probably why that would get a better grade as your right, even now we are still in winter mode.  Like I said to Tip, the only exciting weather right now or even for the next month would be a snowstorm as there aren't many other options for high impact events.

But also late season snows just seem to have better "end of winter feel".  Up here in 2009-2010 ended with a whopper on April 27-28th.  That's probably far enough out there to be similar to an October snowfall.  It just leaves you going into summer with the memory of a sweet event.  Its psychological but I do think its different than having a sweet event then be "ruined" per se by an atrocious winter.  At least when you end on a high note you are ready to move on into summer.

I don't have anything offical that I count. But, I'm not going to ignore one of the greatest snowstorms ever because it started on 3/31.

nobody even implied that,where do you get this stuff from? I just said it doesn't save winter. Sorry to offend your holy grail. 96/97 beat this winter by late January for me.

That's probably why that would get a better grade as your right, even now we are still in winter mode.  Like I said to Tip, the only exciting weather right now or even for the next month would be a snowstorm as there aren't many other options for high impact events.

But also late season snows just seem to have better "end of winter feel".  Up here in 2009-2010 ended with a whopper on April 27-28th.  That's probably far enough out there to be similar to an October snowfall.  It just leaves you going into summer with the memory of a sweet event.  Its psychological but I do think its different than having a sweet event then be "ruined" per se by an atrocious winter.  At least when you end on a high note you are ready to move on into summer.

Yeah agreed...definitely another subjective aspect to grading the season.

It's easy to separate out the fringe months if you want to...just ask people to grade DJF or grade astro winter or something. But the cold season as a whole is how I grade it when not specified otherwise...and many others as well.

Ginxy would rather have a 2" WINDEX event in Feb, than a 25" bomb on 4/1.

no don't put words in my mouth but I would trade decent snow cover from Dec to March for that. Intrinsic value for an extended period rather than a very late season bomb. Your holy grail was incredible but saving winter, don't see it.

no don't put words in my mouth but I would trade decent snow cover from Dec to March for that. Intrinsic value for an extended period rather than a very late season bomb. Your holy grail was incredible but saving winter, don't see it.

I would rather a once in a lifetime storm, than some 3" brown crusty crud from Jan-Mar. 

Archived