• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2016 Spring/Summer Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

For some unknown reason, the plots changed all of a sudden this evening and now have much more muted values. Even previous days that were lit up with high SCP % are now more muted as well.

The scale was shifted upwards to account for climatological purposes. Many of those days are still showing the same large values they were before, it's just not enough to trigger the reds like it was before.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The scale was shifted upwards to account for climatological purposes. Many of those days are still showing the same large values they were before, it's just not enough to trigger the reds like it was before.

Thanks, that makes sense, guess they just have a cutoff day when the new range is applied. It was just jarring how it happened today and made it appear that values changed.

Will never forget June 6 and intercepting that EF4 tornado east of Toledo. I knew there was one there but when I saw it through the Lightning and realized I was on a violent wedge I was purely awestruck.

Late May-Early June really is our prime time honestly, that's when the real summertime heat begins to move into the region and we get that perfect combo of systems and instability

These may have been posted before, but here are severe graphs for IWX for 1980-2010:

post-830-0-35700200-1463102800_thumb.png

post-830-0-28556700-1463102820_thumb.png

post-830-0-00292100-1463102849_thumb.png

this spring has had a 2010 vibe to it locally and the number back that as well, we all know how that June went and the CFS is showing very active period ahead. Timing of course is always the wild card.

I'm thinking 2010 is the best analog for the Lakes region as well. The number of moderate/strong El Nino to moderate/strong La Nina transitions is small, but O doubt a 1988 or 1995 like outcome at this point.

Problem I've been seeing lately is a lot of people think that means wall-to-wall tors, which it doesn't.

Yeah I knoe, it just means there is a good amount of instability with some shear in place, doesn't take in capping potential or mesoscale issues. That being said even at face value it is promising.

Thanks, that makes sense, guess they just have a cutoff day when the new range is applied. It was just jarring how it happened today and made it appear that values changed.

Yeah I was going to say the scale changed. That being said these values are pretty impressive.

I'm thinking 2010 is the best analog for the Lakes region as well. The number of moderate/strong El Nino to moderate/strong La Nina transitions is small, but O doubt a 1988 or 1995 like outcome at this point.

Yeah both those years the plains got little rain in the spring, this year the exact opposite.

I got a water level pic to share later when I'm on my computer

Oh, I'm sure I could find a bunch of webcams, but this cottage has a notoriously sucky beach due to a landform jetting out into the lake and blocking the wave action to move the muck and other crap out.

If the land in red is covered, it might clean up the area in blue.

Just an idea I have always wondered about, I have never been there during a high water period.

We walk along the beach to the area to the south and it's amazing... But I still want to see it now.

post-7333-0-61894100-1463444632_thumb.jp

post-7333-0-77854500-1463444874_thumb.jp

this was taken at foster beach this weekend to the left of the broken break wall was the old dog beach...there is a now under water deck and the sand used to extend about to where the break wall separating the two beaches ends...the main beach has probably lost 20'+ in sand. It has been a dramatic increase

index.jpg

And the craziness is it's still 19 inches lower than the highest ever recorded May water level in 1986.

Suttons Bay 1986

High-Water-in-Suttons-Bay-1986.jpg

I can't find an image of the same angle... but this is what it looked like a couple years ago.

suttons_bay_fall.jpg

I think I could count the amount of times I've heard thunder so far this spring on one hand, it's a little off topic but I was just thinking about it.

Ha, ha I know.

It's the banter thread - about anything goes.

Yeah, '86 was nuts! Seen homes collapsing into Lk. Michigan south of Holland after a storm. Must've been that autumn. Don't need these extremes, that's for sure.

Wasn't 1986 the year of the floods in Flint or Saginaw or somewhere around there?

Archived