• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow to ice to wind driven rain discussion/obs 2/23-2/25 SNE CNE NNE

Ginx snewx

Unless it's vastly different there than here, it's a perception/anomaly thing.  Days with thunder, 40 years of data from sites in northern, southern and western Maine:

DJFM:  14 days with thunder, 2.5% of total

MJJA:  467 days with thunder, 83% of total

Augusta reporting freezing rain and 29 at 1 PM.  Looks like no more than fzdz outside the office, 2 miles SE and 200' lower than the co-op site.  No sign of accretion on trees and shrubs, though there might be 1/20" that I can't detect from inside.

My anecdotel evidence from years of ice storms at elevation in ORH supports the 1/4 inch line...usually get a few sporatic power outages at 1/4 inch but tends to increase rapidly once we're at 3/8" and half an inch is like a chain reaction that goes off.

Anecdotal evidence from a NNE forester (not me, though I agree) with 40+ years of experience:  Serious damage begins as accretion (thickest side, not the average) reaches 20mm.  Would probably translate to 0.4-0.5" when measured in the prescribed manner.  In the 1998 event, I saw grass stems, frozen in vertical position, with diameters approaching 2.5" - soda-can size.  Not sure how that would translate.

Assuming that 20 mm is all on the upwind side, and very little glaze is on the downwind side, that's an average of just under .40", so supports the 1/3 to 3/8 theory. 

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sadly, there was a fatal car accident this morning prob due to icing here We knew the girl killed and her brother who is seriously hurt

They were on the way to school

Crap that is sad.

Unfortunately it is accidents like this that will have people questioning whether or not to call school in advance due to possible weather events. I saw something like this happen a few years back where school was not cancelled...The icing happened and then the fatality. People were coming at the board of Ed asking why. Of course those were the same people complaining about a cancellation a year prior with an almost identical weather set up.

...I'm not saying this was the case with what you mentioned as I do not know the school closing situation or if that was even a factor.

Regardless that is very sad news.

Sad news about the accident.  My report of 31.8F and freezing rain sounds trivial.  Maybe obs threads in a general way help, so people are a bit more informed as per weather conditions.  

Trees are glazing pretty good now.  Temp was up to 31.9F an hour ago but before the rain shield moved in but now hovering 31.7/8F.  Need it to rise just a bit to start the melting. 

BARRE - A serious accident on Route 62 between Cummings Road and Barre Falls Dam closed the road near the Hubbardston line for several hours Wednesday morning.

Police said people were injured when a vehicle slammed into a tree before 10 a.m. Schools in the Quabbin Regional School District had delayed opening by two hours Wednesday morning because of the snow, ice and rainfall.

Does anyone know a good camera trick for capturing ice on trees, I always find it one of the most challenging  things to capture (especially with a phone camera). It never looks nearly as impressive as the real thing.

Zooming in seems to make it look a little better in my own experience (avoid any flash because then it often looks like water)...but yeah, ice is just one of those things where you have to look at a pic and then say to yourself "it's a lot more impressive in person".

It's hard to get on camera to look as thick as when you are looking at it with the naked eye.

Hey sorry to hear that man! That is really awful. That is definitely one tough stretch of road for bad weather in the Winter, but still you don't hear off too many accidents. I'm trying to picture where there that is - got to be a bit past comet pond. Very sorry to hear, my condolences!

Right near Barre Falls Dam headed towards Barre center

Archived